Low-energy, fatigue early

J___D_____
J___D_____ Posts: 10 Member
Shifted my eating to a low-carb diet (paleo) 11 days ago. Felt good, cut a few pounds, felt better than ever up and down the basketball court, but today - day 11 - seems I hit the wall. Low energy, just wanted to rest.

Is this common? Do I power through it? Or do I need to consider shifting things?

Looking to connect so add me.

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    There's a running joke among the Whole 30 group called the Whole 30 timeline. It's a HHOS (Ha Ha, Only Serious) type thing.

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

The exhaustion phase they place a little earlier, but it's all the same. It's just stages that most people typically go through.
  • J___D_____
    J___D_____ Posts: 10 Member
    That's hilarious and so real. Haha. Thanks for responding. Very helpful.
  • kiwiOT
    kiwiOT Posts: 27 Member
    edited March 2015
    How do you define low carb in your current diet? What are the specifics? I personally follow the Bob Harper rule for carbs ie none after lunch. That means I invest in healthy low GI carbs in the morning (my biggest amount), a medium amount for lunch and none at all for dinner. I personally think zero carb diets are completely stupid, unsustainable and not healthy in the long run, particularly if you're male and your job involves a lot of physical work or physical endurance is needed. Healthy carbs are needed for energy release. Thats why the BEST breakfast for weight loss AND energy is oatmeal/porridge with some fruit. None of that pre-cut, pre-flavoured American "oatmeal" crap, I mean the Scottish thick cut oats. Harraways is the best brand if you can find it.

Me personally I work in healthcare. I would drop dead from exhaustion in the work I did unless I had a healthy amount of carbs in my system. It prevents foggy brain and foggy muscles which you've clearly gained, and quite frankly if you don't introduce some healthy carbs into your diet, you will remain foggy in all respects..
  • kiwiOT
    kiwiOT Posts: 27 Member
    Oh I just noticed you stated it was paleo.. Well.. Good luck with that.. lol. Ever seen 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade'?
  • Julesg50
    Julesg50 Posts: 2 Member
    kiwiOT wrote: »
    How do you define low carb in your current diet? What are the specifics? I personally follow the Bob Harper rule for carbs ie none after lunch. That means I invest in healthy low GI carbs in the morning (my biggest amount), a medium amount for lunch and none at all for dinner. I personally think zero carb diets are completely stupid, unsustainable and not healthy in the long run, particularly if you're male and your job involves a lot of physical work or physical endurance is needed. Healthy carbs are needed for energy release. Thats why the BEST breakfast for weight loss AND energy is oatmeal/porridge with some fruit. None of that pre-cut, pre-flavoured American "oatmeal" crap, I mean the Scottish thick cut oats. Harraways is the best brand if you can find it.

Me personally I work in healthcare. I would drop dead from exhaustion in the work I did unless I had a healthy amount of carbs in my system. It prevents foggy brain and foggy muscles which you've clearly gained, and quite frankly if you don't introduce some healthy carbs into your diet, you will remain foggy in all respects..

-this was a really eye opener to me,who was also following low carb but felt exhausted a lot of the time. I have the 'real deal'oats but steered clear of them. What portion size do you have for breakfast?- as I have little perception of correct portions for females,I eat like a man
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited March 2015

You're the only person who brought up zero carb. If you've never done a zero carb diet for a "long run", please refrain from sharing your opinion on how intelligent, sustainable, and healthy they can be.

You are also completely mistaken as to what the words "needed" and "BEST" mean.

Please define "a healthy amount of carbs", "foggy brain", and "foggy muscles".

zka5w29tehyr.png
    This is what 14 years on a ketogenic diet (not full zero, but very very low... down in the 20 gram/day range) can look like. I wonder where he finds the energy to go work out. He goes by darthluiggi if you doubt me. This reddit thread links to a video where he talks about his diet and exercise.

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/2hg26i/my_14_years_almost_following_ketogenic_diets/
    Julesg50 wrote: »
    -this was a really eye opener to me,who was also following low carb but felt exhausted a lot of the time. I have the 'real deal'oats but steered clear of them. What portion size do you have for breakfast?- as I have little perception of correct portions for females,I eat like a man

It's also very wrong. The person who wrote that clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. It is almost "funny" how the people with the least informed opinions on such matters are so quick to point out when/if they work in healthcare. It's almost a plea to not question the science and facts behind what they say.

You don't need to go zero carb. But, there are plenty of people (men and women) who have and found health and physical fitness eating no carbs. While you don't need to go that low, there is no minimum amount of carbs needed for good energy levels and health. The first few weeks might be rough (while your body adapts), but then you're back to normal. If you're past the first few weeks and still tired, then my suspicion is that you're not eating enough food. It wouldn't be that you're not eating enough carbs.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Purely anecdotal but oatmeal gives me no energy and makes me feel like I'm starving all day. OP, I'm not Paleo but I went through the low energy thing a little and it passes. It may not have anything to do with diet, either. Maybe your just tired.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Oh I just noticed you stated it was paleo.. Well.. Good luck with that.. lol. Ever seen 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade'?

In addition to your first post being downright wrong (not to mention a blatant strawman), this was just rude and not productive. Please refrain from such types of comments, this isn't the Litterbox.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member

kiwiOT I felt the same way as you feel about carbs until I went off carbs cold turkey 6 months ago. I found my carb induced foggy brain and foggy muscles started to clearing up after a couple weeks of <50 grams of carbs daily and have not returned.

Now the first two two weeks off carbs was hellish but when my arthritis pain level dropped from 7-8 range on a 1-10 scale to 2-3 staying off of carbs for life decision was easy.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    There's a running joke among the Whole 30 group called the Whole 30 timeline. It's a HHOS (Ha Ha, Only Serious) type thing.

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

The exhaustion phase they place a little earlier, but it's all the same. It's just stages that most people typically go through.

I'd forgotten about this. It's a hoot!
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

In addition to your first post being downright wrong (not to mention a blatant strawman), this was just rude and not productive. Please refrain from such types of comments, this isn't the Litterbox.

Seriously. I know this is a public group but common courtesy should dictate that discussion of all types of low carb diets is safe here, without the trollish comments we get from every main forum posting about low carb.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member

kiwiOT I felt the same way as you feel about carbs until I went off carbs cold turkey 6 months ago. I found my carb induced foggy brain and foggy muscles started to clearing up after a couple weeks of <50 grams of carbs daily and have not returned.

Now the first two two weeks off carbs was hellish but when my arthritis pain level dropped from 7-8 range on a 1-10 scale to 2-3 staying off of carbs for life decision was easy.

@GaleHawkins I felt the ease of mental fog and lack of energy within 2-3 days of dropping my carbs to 50 grams or less per day (usually in the 30-35 range of total carb grams). Of course, I fat loaded up like crazy (and sodium too) and managed to get low without too much more than mild headaches.

After several weeks, I realized how close I was to Keto levels, and decided to drop more (25 grams, net). I had bit more "flu" this time, but was able to manage it decently, again with extra fats and sodium. I did not worry at all about calories during either transition.

For me, the carbs WERE THE CAUSE OF MY FOG. So adding any carbs back in, as deemed "healthy" or not, would be counterproductive for me, personally. I can't speak to everyone on this though...
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited March 2015
    OP, "paleo" doesn't really give us a clue about your level of carb intake. Most people will talk about fatigue as part of the keto flu, but I imagine you're not very ketogenic.

FWIW, on my couple of months of lowish-carb eating, I had a single day of fatigue. I attributed it to perhaps too few calories, but it could have been carb induced as well.

If you're border-line ketogenic, then perhaps you're not quite meeting your brain's glucose requirements, and there's a bit of adaptation going on. A mild headache would be a reasonable clue that that is what's happening.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    By the way, if this is the Indiana Jones reference
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APyz8Ye0IxE
    it's from Temple of Doom not Last Crusade. Please don't conflate icons, it makes my eye twitch.