What do you do on rest days?

Options
nala3177
nala3177 Posts: 64 Member
im currently working out 6 days a week. 3 days of c25k and 3 days of strength training. Monday's are my day off but if I truly rest and take it easy I feel guilty. I know my body needs time to recoup but I have this fear that if I sit on the couch and rest I'll slowly get back into the mindset that I can do that everyday.

Replies

• loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty! Rest is just as much a part of training as your workouts are—remember that. Even on a rest day, I'll still walk around the neighborhood or take my dog on a walk.

As your fitness increases and your workouts get harder, you might find that you enjoy your rest days more and that you really do need them... I felt the same as you during C25K—always going, couldn't stop—but now that my mileage is up, I don't beat myself up after recovering from an 10-miler the day before.

Treat your body well and you'll ensure that you don't get injured and need to take an even longer rest break!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Some days I do sit on the couch most of the day, others I might take my dogs for a walk, or do some crazy housework or gardening, it just depends. Rest doesn't have to mean be a total couch potato, but no guilt if that IS what it means. For me, it's just no planned exercise, and whatever happens, happens. But guilt never plays into it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    I do either strength or strength endurance workouts and try to have 1-2 rest days. Noticed that two workouts per day is possible: SE after work and running an hour after dinner.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    nala3177 wrote: »
    im currently working out 6 days a week. 3 days of c25k and 3 days of strength training. Monday's are my day off but if I truly rest and take it easy I feel guilty. I know my body needs time to recoup but I have this fear that if I sit on the couch and rest I'll slowly get back into the mindset that I can do that everyday.

You can do something like light yoga or stretching, and foam rolling on rest days.
    I saw this suggested on a structured exercise guide that's super popular and I think it is a great idea.

Keep in mind that not all yoga is created equal. Some of it can really engage the muscles and give quite a burn, which you probably don't need.
    There's even specific yoga for stretching, yoga for athletes. Also, plain stretching DVDs that have some of the same moves, but are more technical and lack the New Age-y feel of yoga routines, if you are not into yoga.

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Also, remember that the gains that you make from lifting don't occur while you are performing the workout, but actually on your rest days.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I ride my bicycle.