Women, don't be afraid to lift and to lift heavy!

Options
WandaMM1
WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
I wanted to share a NSV I had today that I hope will encourage or inspire others who may be afraid to lift weights or are just beginning. Today, I am wearing a tailored/fitted suit. The last time this suit fit me, I actually weighed 12-15 pounds less than I do today. So, why am I wearing smaller clothes if I actually weigh more? I lift weights regularly. Every 3 months or so, I spend 6-8 weeks lifting "heavy". If you lift weights regularly as part of a fitness routine, the changes it can make to the size and shape of your body can by truly amazing.

I think this is also another excellent example (and proof) of how misleading it can be if you only look at the number on the scale. If I had to choose between weighing 12-15 pounds less according to my scale OR having the size/shape (and strength!) of the body I have today, I'd pick today's body and the heavier 'scale' weight every time. Easy choice!

Replies

• dedicationANDdumbbells
    dedicationANDdumbbells Posts: 41 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you for the great reminder! I have been lifting heavy and love the results. But I can't say that I have never let the number on the scale discourage me. I know better and have recently put the scale away. :)
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Yup. I currently weigh pretty much the same as I did when I first started getting into fitness like 4 years ago.

I do not, however, look the same. And I really enjoy being able to do things like carry in all the groceries in one trip or lift up the corner of the washing machine to wedge it when it starts to shake (I live in a slanty shanty... all the floors are at a 15 degree angle). I do feel like we're preaching to the choir a bit, since probably most people in this group feel similarly, but a reminder to not let the scale rule you is always good!