New to the Group and IIFYM - Intro

Options
XavierNusum
XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
Hey everyone, I've been dabbling with IIFYM for a couple of months now with minimal success and thought I could learn the proper way or at least what has worked for people here. I originally got my numbers from IIFYM.com which put me at 2297 cals 64F/144P/284C using a low activity level and 15% deficit. I am 5'7", 248 with an average amount of muscle. I don't have an accurate BF% but calipers have said 28-30%. I ran with these number for about 2 months with very little body comp change. I have been able to keep lifting and gain strength. Any advice you all can give will be greatly appreciated. If I haven't given enough info, let me know. Oh, if you look at my diary you see the changes I just made today to my numbers before finding this group. Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• whitneylivesay
    whitneylivesay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hi! I'm somewhat newish to IIFYM and I don't know what your goals are but right off the bat it seems like your protein is too low...you should be getting 1g of protein for every lb of body weight. i've done more research since i started but the way i got started was by getting a coach to help me figure out what my macros should be. so you might look into that. good luck :)
  • millsrobm
    millsrobm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You don't need 1g of protein per pound of body weight; it's usually 1g per pound of lean body mass. There's nothing wrong with going higher than .8 to 1g there if you prefer protein but more does not necessarily mean better.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Apparently MFP doesn't alert you when you get responses to group post. I apologize for letting these replies go unanswered for so long. Thank you both for your help and insight. While I agree that 1g/lb isn't necessary, I do think your right that my protein is low. I plan to play around with all of my numbers this summer to really try to fine tune for myself.

Thanks again millsrobm and whitneslivesay!!
  • Giggles40
    Giggles40 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I tried IIFYM a few months ago and I loved that I could eat without having restrictions on certain food groups. I was tracking here on MFP and I was doing good but then life threw me a wrench and I am just starting to get back into IIFYM. Today is Day#1 of many more to come.

I'm 46 yr, female, flabby in all the wrong places. I love going to the gym and getting my sweat on. I don't shy away from the weights. If I'm not dripping in sweat then I'm not working hard enough.

Looking to try some new routines, burn this fat and get my food in check. I feel that IIFYM will be a long lasting lifestyle.

Hoping to find some new friends that we an support each other through this journey.

All the best.... :)<3
  • Miracle_Fi9hter
    Miracle_Fi9hter Posts: 26 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Kinda Just started as well. Been at it for a few weeks now & enjoying the process. Feel free to add as friend on here and Instagram @eat.train.gain
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this too. Just started last week. Tracking here and also on a new app called MyMacro+ to compare. I find on the other app I'm more worried about the macro's and on this app I focus too much on the calories. Just doing both now to see what will work best for me. I had a successful week last week. Dropped 1.6lbs.