Electrolyte supplementation? This one?

gsp90x
gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
Hi folks, So I think I have a decent handle on my macros. I feel relatively good. Never felt more stable in terms of hunger/cravings etc. Energy is low, but it almost always is even before keto.

So. I see all this talk about ketosis flushing out electrolytes. I don't know how anyone on here reaches the potassium numbers mfp puts up.

What are people's thoughts on mineral supplements/replacements/required levels as per mfp? If you do supplement what do you use?

I'm sure it's somewhere in the group already, but ye know that amazing search function they have!

I found this recipe:

http://thenourishedcaveman.com/keto-electrolyte-drink/#.VQUfkeSJmVo.reddit

for an electrolyte replacement drink targeted to people doing keto.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    I add salt substitute to stuff, and eat avocado, spinach, etc.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    sounds great - thanks for the heads up. I have some aloe vera juice that needs using!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    I don't supplement-recommended daily values of stuff like potassium is just an average, and I seem to do fine without. But there are some good supplements out there to try, they're expensive though.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    I use Morton Lite Salt (about 50/50 sodium and potassium) to salt pretty much everything I eat. Still tastes like salt. I do supplement magnesium, because I noticed I was getting leg cramps.
  • OkSusan
    OkSusan Posts: 10 Member
    I add beef bullion to my morning tea, be sure to eat an avocado a day and drink Natural Calm at night for my magnesium. If my electrolytes are off I definitely notice it on my runs and in the gym.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    I use Magnesium Citrate Solgar brand. 400mg twice @ day. My mag levels were checked by doctor last week and they were perfect. I also use Lo-Salt & Morton's Lite salt.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited March 2015
    Thanks guys! Great stuff to think about here.

In canada we have "Windsor" brand Salt-Free potassium chloride. IMO it doesn't taste like salt and although I put in on EVERYTHING even at 2g a day it doesn't help with the mfp levels. Though I don't think I have any signs of deficiency... maybe I do... that's beside the point for this post.

Magnesium seems to be a big one. I used it a while back when training for the 1/2 marathon. It did clear up the leg cramps but it's been so long since I've run... or done anything physical other than walking.... Good to have a good brand recommendation in your pocket though JIC. Cause it seems like after a while on Keto @Nicsflyingcircus it is likely to happen. Thanks @DittoDan for the recommendation.

I just checked out the stats on an avocado on @kirkor advice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~~WHoah NellY!~~
    I don't know about every day @OkSusan‌ you're hardcore, but that is certainly a keeper. I'm gonna start with once a week and maybe increase as I get used to it (and as the budget allows). Brilliant!

I feel much better about getting it from food