Calories on Lift Days?

Options
mdl2001
mdl2001 Posts: 8 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
Hi Ladies, I was wondering how much I should increase my calories on my heavy lifting days? I know calorie intake will depend on goals, age, height, etc. but I am trying to figure out if I need to increase my calories by a lot or just a little. On average I consume 1,800 calories per day. My goal is to lose body fat and gain lean muscle. Here are my stats... Age 40, Height 5'5, Weight 125, Body Fat 22%.

I usually lift for 45 minutes 4 times a week and follow with 30 minutes of cardio 3 times per week. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Replies

• Green_eyed_beauty
    Green_eyed_beauty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would be more concerned about your macro nutrients than your calories. Your body needs protein to grow muscle, but also needs quick carbs for recovery. I lift for 20-30 minutes 4-5 times a week and aim for light cardio a few times a week and I don't adjust my calories.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ^^^^ agree. I tend to eat around the same amount of calories every day, but make sure to up my protein and carb intake on lifting days
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Great question!

I never intentionally changed my calorie in take around my lifting days when I started (8 years ago). However, I can say that as I gained muscle mass, I actually found myself to be hungry on my recovery days. Like the two replies above me, I would change WHAT I ate rather than how much. I would increase protein and complex carbs (e.g. whole grains, yams or veggies) and limit simple carbs, fruits, and fats. Eating 6-8 ounces of chicken breast and a bushel of broccoli isn't really very many calories!!! o:) You'll need to really up your protein to build lean tissue.
  • mdl2001
    mdl2001 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your responses :)
  • pamelatorbett
    Options
    Hi, I have to agree, I lift 6 to 7 days a week and cardio with just a warm up on heavy leg lifting days. To gain lean muscle and bulk up, I changed the MFP to gain 0.5 a week to up the calories and my MACROS are more carbs right now, your protein is usually 1 gram protein per 1 pound of body weight to make it simple. It's also about timing, carbs are usually eaten around lifting time. No one is the same on these numbers, you just have to play around with the numbers and watch how your body responds. Good luck!