Kick board techniques

Options
2»

Replies

• Anahita_Swims
    Anahita_Swims Posts: 4,127 Member
    Options
    i do number 2 i like the strech in my abs i have my arm over the board rather than that base. i have no ussed with breathing so dont really need to practise and i tend to kickboard by a friend while she does casual breast stroke for a chat ....\

my routine is
    5 mins breaststroke
    100m sprint freestyle with fins
    5 mins freestyle (no fins)
    100m sprint with find
    5 mins kickboarding
    10 mins with a pullboi
    5 mins kickboarding
    100m spring with fins
    5 mins freestyle with fins
    5 mins breaststroke
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Ah well - there be two schools of thought....... !

My coach has been encouraging just that - a rotation that does go along the body length as a eg way to avoid shoulder stress....and drag etc

I was taught (& have subsequently taught) to not let the rotation really go down past the hips because you want to keep your focus & effort directed on going forward. Too much rotation causes that energy to fly out from side to side. I rotate my shoulders, allowing my stroke to reach out further overhead, but that rotation pretty much stops in my waist & hip area which keeps my body on more of a straight line & my kick driving me forward....

There are MANY schools of thought for many of the different aspects of the stroke & no single one is necessarily right or wrong. We are all built differently with different strengths & weaknesses, we need to find those theories & practices that work best for us. The more different schools of thought we post here, the more we expand the library of possibilities for all of us......
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Allow the board to rotate with my shoulders when I breath.

What does that look like, gutzy? I really struggled with this last night. The strokes didn't feel natural, and the timing felt awkward. I'm keeping at it though.

First off, I bought my own kickboard. A Speedo Competition II on Amazon. It is tapers so my arms are in a more natural position. And the board itself has more flotation than the ones at the Y.
    When I turn to breath, the board stays in line with my shoulders and rotates the same amount.
    Try a few different things. You'll find what works for you. Maybe a few gulps in the process. But you will win. :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Oh, I can totally see how that kickboard would work better. Yeah, it was really awkward that first time, but it's better now. As usual, some laps (or entire sessions) are better, but I think if I just add it in as something to work on slowly, at some point, I will feel it's time to ditch the board and try it with the stroke.

I'm not in a rush to get any of this figured out. I started out swimming laps having no idea how technical it all is. Now, I am finally finding enough small successes that most of the time, I feel like I am actually swimming (as opposed to struggling with the basics). There are enough things I can't do that I want to do, that I am willing to keep going back. There are enough small successes at this point, that I am proud to go back. I'm glad I had no idea how challenging this would be. As I said before, I'm a quitter. I doubt I would have gotten into it knowing how much work it would be. Then again, maybe I was a quitter... (?)

:wink:
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Curly - seems to me you're quitting being a quitter ;)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »

Persistence. Overcomes all things (barring real physical limits)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Bleeeeeech! Hard work, drinking in the pool. I have some serious work to do. OK, first day.~Curly

If you like drinking Pool water try some of the dreaded Life Guard Test's.
    The hardest one I have experienced is the Heads Up Front Crawl. Pick a spot on wall at the far end of the Pool and then swim the length keeping your Head Up out of the water and your eyes on the spot. Really makes you appreciate how important good breathing technique is to your swim skills, and how good your breathing technique is even if it needs work.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »

Persistence. Overcomes all things (barring real physical limits)

I so agree with what they've said! :smile:
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    uncreative - yep, the rotation based stuff has been with out a kick board.

Mind you when I am also doing straight kicking lengths (ie parallel to Pool floor, flat) I don't use a kick board either. No need. I usually do a little skull or sometime a full breastroke arm to breathe.

Why do people prefer having a board? (I did use to use in previous lessons)

And sometimes I do breaststroke arms and kicking legs....

Now another thing I had not realised was the importance of kicking down but not up (on front crawl at least). I have been trying to do it anyway, as understood it to be good practise - but my coach was demonstrating how counter productive pulling your leg up is (it makes you go the wrong way...)