Anyone have experience with fair food?

sweetteadrinker2
sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
So I'm a fair exhibitor, and this summer I'll be at my fair everyday for 3 weeks from the hours of 5am-11 pm and then an hour drive each way. I've eaten mainly from the stands at fair in past years out of necessity and convenience. What food at a fair might be safe? There's no nutrition info available, sadly. I'm asking this early in the planning process because I'm looking into what I'd need to do to keep keto-friendly foods on hand and the cost of that ain't pretty.

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Can you pack a cooler?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    I second a cooler. I'd fill it with hard-boiled eggs/egg salad, tuna/chicken salad, cheese, lunch meats (salami, pepperoni, bologna, whatever you enjoy), and if you want, raw green veg and a good ranch dip.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Turkey legs. Possibly kabobs & jerky, depending on the vendors.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    Coolers aren't allowed in the barn, unfortunately. Does anyone know if burgers (sans bun) are ok? Or is there wierd stuff put in them?
  • 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    Maybe tell the organizers will make an exception if you tell them that you have a medical condition and need to bring in some of your own food?
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Coolers aren't allowed in the barn, unfortunately. Does anyone know if burgers (sans bun) are ok? Or is there wierd stuff put in them?

Depends on the burgers. You'd have to ask.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    42carrots wrote: »
    Maybe tell the organizers will make an exception if you tell them that you have a medical condition and need to bring in some of your own food?

The CDC would kill them, it's their rule sadly.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    sausages with grilled pepper and onions, no bun
    burgers ought to be alright unless they hand pack them and use cracker or bread crumbs in them. just don't eat the bun.
    pickles
    turkey legs
    some pulled pork bbq with coleslaw (some sauces are sweet instead of vinegar based depending on where you live)...no bun
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Do you happen to know if a friend stays at the fair for that period of time? We used to take our RV and live in it the whole time. If they allow that, and you have a friend that sleeps in their horse/sleep cab trailer, maybe you could leave a cooler there or use a small section of their fridge. Some of those trailers hook to electricity anyway, and there might be space for a mini fridge. You wouldn't need to worry about dropping hundreds on carney food then.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Summer sausage, beef jerky, nuts, packets of tuna or salmon, containers of shredded Parmesan. No refrigeration required.