Soy. . . . . Good or bad?

Options
tigerblue
tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
On the Internet, it seems you can find information to support any opinion you might have! I have read that consuming more soy is good for menopause symptoms. But then I also read that women should not eat soy products.

So, does anyone have any personal experience or knowledge on this?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I know that I feel better when I eat more soy. I'm careful about the soy products I buy, but yes, I eat/drink soy.
  • zenobiamd
    Options
    Yes, it can be benificial, but ...

Most soy is GMO with heavy pesticide usage, so try to stick to organic. The less processed the better, like beans, soy nuts, and tofu and miso.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    zenobiamd wrote: »
    Yes, it can be benificial, but ...

Most soy is GMO with heavy pesticide usage, so try to stick to organic. The less processed the better, like beans, soy nuts, and tofu and miso.
    Most corn is GMO with heavy pesticide as well. Sadly, this seems to apply to most grains, seeds, etc.
  • yegkatie
    yegkatie Posts: 4
    Options
    I think the answer is, it depends. Soy has many positive attributes, but one of the things it does is mimic estrogen. I had estrogen sensitive breast cancer and was told to NOT eat/drink any soy products. So I don't. Although we may never know what caused my breast cancer, I feel it may have been linked years on the pill. An Aunt of mine who is a fitness fiend was eating and drinking a lot of soy products. At one point, her periods stopped altogether. Her doctor told her to quit soy products, her period resumed. A number of years later, she too got breast cancer (and is also a survivor). This is my story, but it is not the same for everybody. Many people eat soy based products and have no problems at all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yegkatie wrote: »
    I think the answer is, it depends. Soy has many positive attributes, but one of the things it does is mimic estrogen. I had estrogen sensitive breast cancer and was told to NOT eat/drink any soy products. So I don't. Although we may never know what caused my breast cancer, I feel it may have been linked years on the pill. An Aunt of mine who is a fitness fiend was eating and drinking a lot of soy products. At one point, her periods stopped altogether. Her doctor told her to quit soy products, her period resumed. A number of years later, she too got breast cancer (and is also a survivor). This is my story, but it is not the same for everybody. Many people eat soy based products and have no problems at all.

My asian in laws eat soy two or more times a day. I think it's probably a complex interaction of things.
  • DLynn127
    DLynn127 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was told that eating it in it's least processed form is best (edemame, tofu, miso.) Organic always. I use organic soy milk (not so unprocessed) as a dairy replacement because I have a food sensitivity to dairy. I have for over a year now and I don't notice anything different and my mammograms have been fine. I don't drink gobs of it though. I also think it really depends on the person. If breast cancer ran in my family's history, I'd probably avoid it to be safe, although I realize that isn't always a good indicator. Everything in moderation and I would think you'd be fine and if it makes you feel "off" stop eating it. Isn't it frustrating that we're left to wonder? I sort of look at it this way, it's more damaging to our body to eat processed foods than it is to eat whole foods, even if they have cholesterol, or estrogen, or whatever the "new" dietary faux pas is for the decade because science has proven, it can't always be trusted either. Moderation should be followed with everything. :smile:
  • Bikerchickmomma
    Bikerchickmomma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a serving of tofu daily since I was in my early 40's and started to get night sweats. The natural plant estrogen in soy helped alleviate the night sweats and my periods became regular. They had been very unpredictable up until then. It also helped relieve my PMS symptoms. This is what soy did for me. Everyone is different so it may not have the same affect on you.