How many little nagging injuries do you have?

Options
_Waffle_
_Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
Given enough mileage I'm sure everyone has those little things that annoy you but don't prevent you from running. I was just wondering what the average person here considers normal as something you can still run through.

This morning for me it was my right shin. I've had some mild shin splints before but they were always evenly spread out across both legs on the outside of the front of the shin bone. This one seems to be only in the right leg but behind the shin bone. I think I developed this letting my other shoes get close to 400 miles on them. Plus I had to move my speedwork to concrete due to trial conditions. I have new shoes but that was a few weeks ago and the issue is still there off and on.

This morning I think I limped through the first 100 yards and then when my leg warmed up it was just barely there. By the time I did 6 easy miles I couldn't even feel it and it's not even there now. It's like taking a day off made it worse and using it makes the issue go away. I was paranoid about it being a fracture and asked a physician but I passed his tapping on the bone and jumping on one leg and he said he wouldn't even bother with an x-ray unless I really wanted one. Basically just ease up on the running until it gets better.

Aside from that my right quad has an issue that really only shows up if I'm getting out of the car or getting up from a chair on just that leg. Thankfully I don't feel it while running. My right ankle was a bit sore for nearly a month and is just now well enough that I forgot it was an issue. My left calf has been randomly twitching during a run before I'm warmed up.

Too Long, Didn't Read Summary
I'm probably just old and this is only my second marathon plan. Does everyone generally run into little odds and ends aside from just general muscle soreness? What do you generally do when you're finishing your last few high mileage weeks and you need to do a 20 mile run and some speedwork but you have these nagging issues?

Thank God I'm tapering now so I get a couple easy weeks before I kill my legs again.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    Options
    Obviously it's not from running too much :laugh:

rWnhNaX.jpg
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    The front of my left ankle/top of my foot hurts sometimes. Most of the time, it's just a little pain that doesn't require me to change anything. During my 15 mile long trail run a couple of weeks ago it was sharper and hurt every time I landed while coming down the hills at around mile 12. I had to adjust my landing a bit and slow my pace on the downhill.

I've had it hurt before, with sharper, more lasting pain, but some easing up when it happens seems to keep it in check.

Last week was an easy week due to the flu cleanse, so I'm hoping it doesn't come back this week. I can feel it right now as I push down on my foot under my chair, but it's quite mild.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I'm having some shin issues, and taking a few days off because of it. It's not centered in one place, so it's not a stress fracture like I'd worried, but I think it's some early shin splints. Some rest, some ice, and I should be good to go (I hope) next week.

Other than that I have just a few little bothers here and there. My right big toe is tight/sore sometimes, so I keep tennis balls on hand to massage my feet with. That seems to help. And sometimes my knees will get stiff on long runs, but I think that's relatively normal. I run through it unless it starts to feel like a sharper pain; after years of on again-off again tendonitis and ITBS, I don't mess around with my knees. I also have problems with my hips coming out of alignment, so I have to do all kinds of weird stretches to move them back into place; they've been kinked for a little while and that's been contributing to some weird strains on my legs the last week or two; I think it's un-kinked now, because I can't hear my lower back grinding when I walk anymore (hooray!). And... I think that's it.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I'm perpetually broken.
    I just graduated/got kicked out of PT on Wednesday in fact.
    I run anyway since the ortho dr said I wasn't making it better but I wasn't making it worse - that was in September so maybe I should pay him a visit again
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    I'm having some shin issues, and taking a few days off because of it. It's not centered in one place, so it's not a stress fracture like I'd worried, but I think it's some early shin splints. Some rest, some ice, and I should be good to go (I hope) next week.

Other than that I have just a few little bothers here and there. My right big toe is tight/sore sometimes, so I keep tennis balls on hand to massage my feet with. That seems to help. And sometimes my knees will get stiff on long runs, but I think that's relatively normal. I run through it unless it starts to feel like a sharper pain; after years of on again-off again tendonitis and ITBS, I don't mess around with my knees. I also have problems with my hips coming out of alignment, so I have to do all kinds of weird stretches to move them back into place; they've been kinked for a little while and that's been contributing to some weird strains on my legs the last week or two; I think it's un-kinked now, because I can't hear my lower back grinding when I walk anymore (hooray!). And... I think that's it.

That doesn't sound like a minor issue at all. :laugh:

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    My knees... especially the right one. I don't have to twist them or land on them funny or anything. They just decide out of the blue that they give up for a few days.
    My dad has had a meniscus surgery on both knees and my mom on one knee so things don't look good for me... (also grandpa just had his second knee replacement)
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    In the past three years I have had Achilles tendinitis, plantar fasciitis and I am now developing some really fun pain in my quad above the knee. For the Achilles I kept running through it until I couldn't walk... Bad choice! I ended up taking a month of no running and doing physical therapy/weights. Last year the plantar fasciitis came up during race season and I ran through it until the last race was done. Then I took a few months to swim, yoga, lift weights and had a long break. That helped tremendously. I'm now back up to running half marathon distance and have kept yoga a regular part of my routine. Plantar fasciitis will always be there I think but it's under control for now. The current pain in my quad has come recently since I added spin class and more steep trail running. So I probably need to back off, strengthen with weights and then add the extra activities. Sigh, when I was young I could just abuse my body but now ice is my friend.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I've run all summer with PF. It healed. Back in January it came back... In my other foot. I saw a podiatrist and "fixed" the cause but it's not easy to get rid of when it's there. Hurts like hell one day, then it's good the next.

Other than that, I get a tight calf or/and sore achille once in a while but it usually goes away within a week.

Oh and toes blisters... I tried EVERYTHING. I always have something going on with my toes or nails. I just suck it up. After 30 minutes of running on raw skin, it gets numb lol.

It's annoying to always have something... But it sucks less than having a real injury, that's for sure!

It's incredible the things we put up with to run.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Left shin currently with something like a stress fracture or shin splints, but it gets better as I run and warm up, so I'm hoping it's just super tight deep muscles that may be released by my massage today.
    It appears the calf issue is due to tight hips. I'll know in a day or two how much I've improved.
    Other than that, occasionally I get this really weird pain in my ankles, it's like I have a bone fragment floating around, that sometimes gets lodged and limits my movement. It hurts like heck and can affect me when I walk or run, fortunately it's usually gone in a few minutes.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Shins: no problem! as a girl I always got shin splints and assumed I couldn't run and this is why I didn't for decades despite wanting to. When I finally determined that I WOULD run, I researched form and ended up shortening my stride and running "lower", plus giving my legs a chance to toughen up and it's been okay unless I open up my stride too much (mind you: I run very slow)

Knees: no problem! almost never a problem, but I've found that if I have knee trouble it's not because of running and within a couple miles it improves and in fact I can set out to run JUST to help knees feel better and this works

Above knee/beside knee muscle: no problem! If it aches after a run, it means I need do crossed-leg stretch and that takes care of it

Front sortof top inside arch of right foot: idk what this is all about but it bothered me last week. Hoping was a shoe issue only. Gonna watch it.

PF: had this post pregnancy and long before running, seems to crop up when too sedentary or also related to my calf/Achilles problems

Calf/Achilles: had some bad problems and also tried running through it. Ended up taking 3-5mo break (!) to heal after determining it to be shoe problem. Still have problems, but also am still working through shoe problems (finding the right heel drop for me). Almost there--right now I'm the most pain free I've been in over a year, if not years!

Lower back: lower back seems to ache the worst at the end of running a new long distance, especially up and down curbs (which I have to do a lot in the city). Idk if this is normal, or just my weakest link.

I'm very happy to have solved a lot of problems and can visualize a pain free running experience in my future. :-)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I've been relatively lucky. Recovered fully from a minor tear of the Achilles tendon (stepped on a sweet gum seed pod while running a marathon). And I had a slight meniscus problem in my knee from a misstep several years prior to my return to running.

However, as I have gradually pressed for speed at the longer marathon distances (I use the term "speed" relative to my current capacity), I've developed a nagging pain in both inguinal ligaments. I'm aware of it when I first warm up and start a run, but it quickly fades once I'm fully warmed up and into my running pace of the day.

I first noticed on days when I ran maximal intervals. But it didn't last more than a day. After my last marathon, however, where I progressively ran the last three miles faster than any previous mile, I really felt it afterward and it has been a present in every training session since. It has gradually decreased in its annoyance as I have added back more walking to my daily routine as well as some core exercises.

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have an Achilles injury. I have a half marathon and a marathon coming up. I had a solid training cycle which has now been compromised completely. I am still hopeful that I can toe the line without getting more injured.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    STrooper wrote: »
    I've been relatively lucky. Recovered fully from a minor tear of the Achilles tendon (stepped on a sweet gum seed pod while running a marathon). And I had a slight meniscus problem in my knee from a misstep several years prior to my return to running.

I had to Google sweet gum seed pods, and now I know what the weird ball things are all over the ground in New Jersey! I'd never seen them before and they look like some kind of alien ball. That would be killer to step on during a marathon!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oh good! A chance to complain publicly.
    Twenty-two years ago, at about age 30 years, I had no pain or problems whatsoever. I opened the door and I sprinted. I ran for as long as I had time.
    Then I got plantar fasciitis playing soccer. Since I would not back off, it because rather chronic. My pace slowed way down. My distances did not diminish necessarily, but I did not increase them anymore either.
    Well, that was the top of the slippery slope, of course. Injury means less training, which leads to deconditioning, which increases the chance of other injury, etc.
    Now, finally, for the first time in 20 years, I have only a tiny, little bit of tendinitis in my knees and I consider this full health and heaven!
    I am even increasing my pace on my runs again -- first time in forever.
    My brother and I used to refer to the little dings you get from activity, the ones that heal way too slowly because of age, the ones you always have, as the "migrating injury."
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    My "achilles heal" is my weak left Achilles, suffering from [chronic] tendinosis. It started when I sprinted up a hill, and after that re-injuring it. It is my "migration injury" (see tufel definition) :( . I also have osteoarthritis in both my feet ... but keeping active slows it down, and ironically it is motivating me to keep on running!
  • billscreen
    billscreen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    PF (piriformis) that flares up in my left glute after some runs (especially hills). It's in a region that's difficult to massage and stretch. Strengthening has been really helpful, but if I miss a few workouts, it comes back with interest.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    billscreen wrote: »
    PF (piriformis) that flares up in my left glute after some runs (especially hills). It's in a region that's difficult to massage and stretch. Strengthening has been really helpful, but if I miss a few workouts, it comes back with interest.

The stretch for that (lying down and crossing one ankle over the other knee and pulling it towards you) is my absolute favorite stretch. Feels so good. Do you do this, does it help?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    billscreen wrote: »

The stretch for that (lying down and crossing one ankle over the other knee and pulling it towards you) is my absolute favorite stretch. Feels so good. Do you do this, does it help?
    I believe that's called 'reverse pigeon', ive done it in yoga lol
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options

I had to Google sweet gum seed pods, and now I know what the weird ball things are all over the ground in New Jersey! I'd never seen them before and they look like some kind of alien ball. That would be killer to step on during a marathon!

It was the weirdest thing, too. Made a turn onto a greenway with a slight downhill just beyond mile-14 and when I stepped on it (just in front of the heel bone), the thing rolled forward so that rather than making good contact with the ground, the foot slid forward before making a full heel strike. It put my foot a little forward of normal and I knew it was a funny little step.

But it was almost a half-mile before I knew something had happened when I started up my first uphill. It was a definite twinge and I know I compensated for it and it showed up in other muscles that had not given me any problem during my training. Didn't hurt on the flat or downhill (until later after the race), just going uphill. Made me wonder if I was going to have to walk backward up the hills or just quit. The climb out of the greenway system back onto the city streets was not fun.

I guess I was lucky. I keep an eye out for those things now (and pine cones, too).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Not so much an injury but I've had persistent colds/ chest infections for several months now. It's disrupting my running training, which is getting frustrating.

I took my road bike out on Saturday for a session and average HR by the end of a fairly rapid 50K was about 10bpm high, and unsequently I feel like I've got a handful of gravel in my lungs.

In terms of anything else, I've not been too bad. In the past I've had persistent shin splints but haven't suffered from that since I picked up running more seriously two years ago. Motion control shoes, and taking my time to progress seem to ave been the answer there.

I've had a few twinges from the ITB pain that I picked up on my HM in October, but nothing that's disrupted anything. The key there has just been to ease back on the pace alittle during the session, and concentrate a bit more on time on the bike, either turno or road.

My right ankle is a bit achy sometimes, but that's inevitable. I've had broken ankles, shoulders, ribs and skull in the past so I'm anticipating all of those will give me some issues at some point. I've also had work done on my knees, but they've been pretty robust since so I'm reasonably comfortable there.