Low-Carb Appetizer Suggestions

Options
m_puppy
m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
Anyone have any good suggestions for LC appetizers? I am getting together with some friends tomorrow night but all of them are SAD ;) Last time we got together I brought buffalo balls and that didn't go over well. I mean, I ate the crap out of them but no one else was impressed. I need some suggestions that won't prompt a 20 minute conversation about my weight and eating habits. Something everyone can enjoy. Maybe I'll just bring bacon with cheese melted on top haha.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-cream-cheese-sausage-dip-361663 :D (take tortillas for them and you just eat it with a spoon)

You can't go wrong with a meat/veggie and cheese tray, either. Alternatively, roll pieces of cheese in slices of meat (or make meat/cheese pinwheels by slicing the rolls).

Cheese ball (cream cheese, mayo (I think), meat, mixed together and rolled into a ball, served with crackers). Again, just eat it and not the crackers. Or make those crackers out of cheese and use those.

Bacon wrapped...well...just about anything. I'm a fan of bacon wrapped water chestnuts. They're a little carby, but really good.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I second the cheeseball. chocolatemoosey.com/2013/12/26/bacon-cheddar-cheese-ball/ Everyone loves it. Serve it up with crackers, I eat mine with a spoon from a small bowl.

Otherwise, what about chicken wings sprinkled with a bbq/spicy spice blend and roasted. With some dressing. ruled.me/keto-approved-ranch-dressing/

Have a fun time.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Cream cheese, bacon chopped in small bits after cooking or before, finely chopped onion. Mix it up and slather it on celery pieces cut on angle just for fun. It is good finger food. Dry the celery before adding the cream cheese mixture or it tends to slide off. Deviled eggs. Deviled eggs made with avocado. Maybe a small plate of fat bombs for desert. Do not bother to tell them the calories. LOL
  • m_puppy
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Some of these things are so obvious that I'm kicking myself for not thinking of them. Doh!
  • m_puppy
    Options
    Have you guys ever tried this? I forgot about this cheese ball recipe from before my LC days. The carbs aren't horrible, either.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pinecone-shaped-spread
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I second the deviled eggs. You can even make them with a cake icing piping tip and they come out pretty, very get together presentable. Dusted with some paprika and with some tomato wedges and cucumber spears on a plate they'll be so pretty your friends won't even think about challenging them.
  • m_puppy
    Options
    I've only looked at the bacon cheeseball so far. For sure making that haha.
  • m_puppy
    Options
    I have to ask about the keto approved ranch dressing. I use this ranch http://www.marzetti.com/products/product/1/154/marzetti-classic-ranch-dressing

It's pretty low carb. It has never kicked me out of ketosis or anything. But is there a benefit to making it ourselves? Taste?
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Most basic buffalo chicken dips can work. I find them delicious if I use sliced cheese to dip in them, and of course there's celery. No one ever says no to Buffalo Chicken Dip.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Jalapeno poppers. I don't have a recipe, we just made them on the fly, but it was about like this:

Pour 1/2 bag of pork rinds in food processor and pulse until crumbly. Pour into bowl and add about 1/4-1/2c of grated parmesan. Add any additional seasonings and stir.
    Break an egg into a 2nd bowl, stir until yolk and white are combined
    Slice fresh jalapenos in half, remove stemps, remove seeds (or not if you want them super hot)
    Stuff each pepper half with about a tablespoon of cream cheese - they weren't overflowing like some restaurant ones, just a little bit above the level of the edge of the pepper.
    Dip each popper into the egg wash, then roll it in the crumb mix.
    Deep fry in hot oil - make sure it's hot enough, and don't leave them in long at all. You should take them out before the oil stops bubbling, or they'll start soaking up the oil instead of repelling it.

You could probably oven bake them instead, but I'd use a rack underneath so the bottom doesn't get too soggy. /MaryBerry

• m_puppy
    Options
    Dang that sounds good!

Ok wouldn't you think that about Buffalo Dip? We're into anything buffalo flavored in our home. That clearly was not the consensus with this group. Good thing I love them for more than their poor taste in food :D
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    I have to ask about the keto approved ranch dressing. I use this ranch http://www.marzetti.com/products/product/1/154/marzetti-classic-ranch-dressing

It's pretty low carb. It has never kicked me out of ketosis or anything. But is there a benefit to making it ourselves? Taste?

You don't get the soybean oil when you make it yourself.
  • m_puppy
    Options
    This might sound ignorant but I didn't know about soybean oil being bad. A lot to learn still.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This might sound ignorant but I didn't know about soybean oil being bad. A lot to learn still.

It's highly processed with chemicals and bleach and deodorizers and such. Soy also mimics estrogen and can raise your estrogen levels. Me personally? I just do better when I don't eat soy anything.

This pretty much sums up my position: http://wellnessmama.com/2193/never-eat-vegetable-oil/
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-cream-cheese-sausage-dip-361663 :D (take tortillas for them and you just eat it with a spoon)

You can't go wrong with a meat/veggie and cheese tray, either. Alternatively, roll pieces of cheese in slices of meat (or make meat/cheese pinwheels by slicing the rolls).

Cheese ball (cream cheese, mayo (I think), meat, mixed together and rolled into a ball, served with crackers). Again, just eat it and not the crackers. Or make those crackers out of cheese and use those.

Bacon wrapped...well...just about anything. I'm a fan of bacon wrapped water chestnuts. They're a little carby, but really good.

Can I eat this for 3 days and call it a fat fast? I am referring to the white trash dip :D
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    yturie47 wrote: »

Can I eat this for 3 days and call it a fat fast? I am referring to the white trash dip :D

I have pretty much done that before, though didn't call it a fat fast. :D That stuff rocks!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    yturie47 wrote: »

6477 calories
    113g C
    60g P
    624f F

Little carby for a fat fast
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Since I am way too lazy to wash, cut,seed, stuff, wrap, and bake jalapenos....i just make jalapeno popper dip. Serve with tortillas for the carbed masses and pork rinds or cut up veggies for the low carbers.

2 bricks cream cheese
    1/2 cup Duke's mayo
    1 can of chopped, roast green chilies
    diced jalapeno (I use Mt Olive) to taste
    1 pack of Oscar Mayer bacon bits
    shredded cheddar cheese to taste

Mix well, refrigerate at least a couple of hours or overnight. Original recipe had some topping and was baked but I just heat it up in the microwave when ready to serve.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options

This is what I use.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    tiarew wrote: »
    Since I am way too lazy to wash, cut,seed, stuff, wrap, and bake jalapenos....i just make jalapeno popper dip. Serve with tortillas for the carbed masses and pork rinds or cut up veggies for the low carbers.

2 bricks cream cheese
    1/2 cup Duke's mayo
    1 can of chopped, roast green chilies
    diced jalapeno (I use Mt Olive) to taste
    1 pack of Oscar Mayer bacon bits
    shredded cheddar cheese to taste

Mix well, refrigerate at least a couple of hours or overnight. Original recipe had some topping and was baked but I just heat it up in the microwave when ready to serve.

i make a cold dip with wholly avocado (too cheap/lazy to prepare and mash avocado myself) and sour cream in equal parts, plus crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar and diced pickled jalepenos. I eat it with pork rinds.