Is processed meat safe? (bacon, sausage, cold cuts...)

Options
jddnw
jddnw Posts: 319 Member
Big debate going on in the litter box about "the assertion that there is no bad food."
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10115316/the-assertion-that-there-is-no-bad-food

The OP includes a reference to an MFP blog about processed meats. In the blog they cited this AICR article: http://www.aicr.org/enews/2014/08-august/faq-processed-meat-and.html

The article says among other things that;

"Research suggests that regularly eating even small amounts of cold cuts, bacon, sausage and hot dogs increase colorectal cancer risk, which is why AICR recommends avoiding these foods, except for special occasions."

"The risk continues to rise as processed meat consumption increases. Studies show that compared to eating no processed meat, eating 3.5 ounces every day – a large hot dog – increases colorectal cancer risk by 36%."

I don't know what research the AICR is referring to, but I note with interest the research only "suggests" an increase in cancer risk.

I take this type of "suggesting" with a big grain a salt, especially as I just finished reading "Do We Really Know What Makes Us Healthy" by Gary Taubes. In that excellent NYT article he elaborates on the multitude of problems with epidemiology and cohort studies, which I'd be willing to bet is the type of research the AICR is referring to in the above quote.

Here is my question. Does anybody know of any good studies, or good lay persons summaries of studies, that refute the claim about processed meat?

My bacon means a lot to me and I would like to enjoy it with a bit more evidence based confidence that I'm not doing myself any harm.

Replies

• Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Sodium nitrite is likely the biggest problem with processed meats. Most processed meats can be purchased without it and other additives, as well as uncured. Not the best source, but this is one summary on the issue. http://www.naturalnews.com/022288_sodium_nitrite_processed_meat.html
    I get uncured bacon with no additives , no sugar, and uncured and it is really good!
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't eat packaged lunchmeat (oscar myer, etc) because there HAS to be a ton of chemicals and sodium and who knows what else.

I will occasionally eat Deli lunchmeat where I watch them slice it. Pretty much if it has a shelf life of more than 3-4 days, I try not to eat it.

Bacon and sausage? You'll have to pry that out of my cold dead hands.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    My first recommendation is follow the money. There are several pretty well financed lobby groups pushing veganism for both nutritional and moral reasons, and they have a lot of doctors on their payroll. If you've read through the comments on the new USDA guidelines, you'll find post after post copy and pasting the same blurb about recommending a "plant based diet." AICR is one of those lobby groups - they don't do any research of their own, only gather and write summaries of the studies they hand pick to support their claims. Their primary goals are funneling money into research on dietary and exercise based cancer cures and "spreading information." Over half their income goes to information spreading.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »

PREACH!!!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Pigs are raised and processed in probably the worst conditions of all the factory-farmed animals, so there's that too.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this as have been eating a lot of salami which really satisfies as it is fatty and salty, but am wondering if it is really a great idea - any thoughts?
  • fzermer
    fzermer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    kuranda10 wrote: »

PREACH!!!

Bacon is your friend. Bacon listens.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If I am going to eat meat, I am paying the extra to eat natural . It helps me to know these animals are treated humanely. I live in a small NE area and can fortunately eat locally.
    NEVER nitrites.

Once I saw a slaughter house in Colorado and the site made me weep.
    Try hard to know your source was treated with dignity.

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this as have been eating a lot of salami which really satisfies as it is fatty and salty, but am wondering if it is really a great idea - any thoughts?
    "real" salami is air cured. Italians have been eating for a few thousand years. The stuff that comes pre-packaged from Hormel? I would question that.