A1C Is fasting necessary ?

Options
Lizzym911
Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
do you have to fast before A1C testing and if so how many hours. I've been reading articles that say you don't have to fast since it measures the average over months.

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    No. My doctor does not have me fast if she has ordered an A1C or a CBC. I only fast if she wants a metabolic panel or lipid panel in addition.
  • JeffS435
    JeffS435 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    No, not necessary to fast with A1C
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thank you.. Every time I go the lab asks if I've fasted so I thought I had to.
  • GetFitChristie
    GetFitChristie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Because A1C is testing for an "average" of your BG #s over the past 2-3 months, fasting (or not fasting) won't impact the results of this test.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Initially, I was told yes, but now my nurses say no. However, I've also read that A1cs are most accurate when you've been NPO (as in not even a sip of water) for 8 hours. :confused:
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My doctor, WebMD and the NIH all say fasting is not necessary for a1c tests. The exception might be if you have other tests at the same time. When my doc gives orders for lab work they always clearly state if fasting is necessary. I think that should be a standard of practice.