Medication Timing

Options
galgenstrick
galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
Has anyone noticed a difference between taking their thyroid medication with a meal, before, after a meal, before bed, or after waking up?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Yes. Synthroid & Cytomel must be taken with a large glass of water 2 hours after eating or drinking anything but water, and 4 hours after taking any vitamins, minerals, or fiber supplements. Wait an hour before eating or drinking anything but water.

Following these directions ensures maximum absorption of your meds. I feel better now than when I only took a few sips of water & waited 30 minutes before eating.
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I tried taking it at night so I wouldn't forget but found it dried me out completely even with water. So now I take it mid morning and try to avoid calcium rich foods 2 hours before and 2 hours after..but usually that window shrinks to 1 hour cause I eat lots of smaller meals. levoxyl for 10 years plus
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was taking Armour first thing along with all of my other vitamins and a cup of coffee afterwards but I've recently changed that to where I take my Armour first thing by itself with water, then take the rest of my vitamins an hour later and eat breakfast and coffee about 30 minutes after that. I can tell I have more energy and can focus better.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I take mine in the middle of the night. I have to get up & "go" anyway....I just pop it in my mouth. I don't have to mess with food or no food or dairy or no dairy that way. Its not a hassle, either.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have my alarm clock set to 5:30. I open one eye :-), take my pill ( L-Thyroxine ) and go back to sleep. Breakfast is about 7:30. I feel way better now than I did when I waited just 30 minutes before eating. I take my supplements ( iron, Vit B, Zinc, Vit D ) with my lunch or dinner.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I go to work at 6AM, I take one pill when I leave, eat breakfast at work around 7-8 and another about 3 hours after lunch (2PM)
  • JeepJeep87
    JeepJeep87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I came upon this thread. Im horrible at taking my meds (l-thyroxine). I usually take my meds and eat right away or forget completely. I'm gonna start taking them early in the morning and waiting at least an hour and see if I notice any difference. I've been really struggling to lose weight even though I've been eating better and exercising and I'm beginning to think my thyroid might have something to do with that. Time to start treating my body better and remembering to take the pills the way they are supposed to be taken!
  • impylaurie2
    impylaurie2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I take mine before my alarm goes off then go back to sleep and when it goes off I can have my breakfast. I was on .25 and was put up to .75 and I feel great.
  • jms1739
    jms1739 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I usually take mine about an hour before I eat everyday. But I am reading that everyone takes theirs 2hours before a meal.

And I am wondering if the no dairy rich foods affects L-thyroxine as well? I have not heard about that one. But I might try the 2 hour window and see what happens.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    jms1739 wrote: »
    I usually take mine about an hour before I eat everyday. But I am reading that everyone takes theirs 2hours before a meal.

Synthroid (levothyroxine) & Cytomel (liothyronine) must be taken on an empty stomach, but they leave your stomach in about half an hour. No need to wait two hours after taking them before you can eat!
  • Vickiti
    Vickiti Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am on Thyroid S and take it immediately my alarm goes off at 6:30. (I take a pill box up to bed with me so I don't forget.) I eat breakfast at work 8:30ish so that is a 2 hour gap and very empty stomach.
    I take a second dose at noon and lunch is 1pm - but due to work meetings its harder to be 100% on that one.
    I aim to stick to it 95% of the time and don't stress about the other 5% - Life's too short :)
  • jms1739
    jms1739 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    jms1739 wrote: »

Synthroid (levothyroxine) & Cytomel (liothyronine) must be taken on an empty stomach, but they leave your stomach in about half an hour. No need to wait two hours after taking them before you can eat!

That is good to know. Thanks for the info. I'll stick to my hour before, this works better with my schedule. I take it when I get up and within 30 min leave for work, then after my morning things are complete, I usually eat. That is about an hour maybe a bit more.

Glad I found this group.