Stalling on lifts--not sure if I even want to progress...

Options
DancingMoosie
DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
I was following SL 5x5, but usually only getting in 2 workouts instead of 3. We eventually found the time to increase our weights to 3x/wk by doing morning workouts. I got my squats (5x5) to 140 and bench to 90 (105 1rmax) and then got sick with flu and strep. Everything went down and hasn't quite come back.

I workout M/W/F mornings 40 min doing SL or ice cream fitness 5x5 with an A/B style format, a few accessory lifts like bicep curls/triceps extensions, and lunges or glute bridges. I do treadmill or circuits in the evenings. T/Th mornings are some form of workout at home with a dvd, anything from yoga, aerobics, to 30 Day Shred. I lift with a friend, and she is stronger than me. I feel like I am holding her back, but there's no way I can lift what she could, and she goes along with whatever I want.

My question is, should I really even worry about trying to get my lifts back up? We squatted 125 5x5 Friday. I am 5'3" and weigh somewhere between 112-114 usually. I don't want my thighs to get bigger, but wouldn't mind growing my glutes;) We usually do a glute-focused circuit once a week.

Any advice on tweaking workouts? I also don't know if I should try to maintain or bulk a little. I will also probably start swimming once/wk at the end of April (that will take the place of one evening workout).

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You won't get strong by accident, and you won't become a muscle bound freak by accident. My advice is to stop worrying about this or that body part getting bigger, and just stick to a novice program and progress on it. It's likely that thoughts about proportions are only in your head, and no one else sees a problem.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I was following SL 5x5, but usually only getting in 2 workouts instead of 3. We eventually found the time to increase our weights to 3x/wk by doing morning workouts. I got my squats (5x5) to 140 and bench to 90 (105 1rmax) and then got sick with flu and strep. Everything went down and hasn't quite come back.

I workout M/W/F mornings 40 min doing SL or ice cream fitness 5x5 with an A/B style format, a few accessory lifts like bicep curls/triceps extensions, and lunges or glute bridges. I do treadmill or circuits in the evenings. T/Th mornings are some form of workout at home with a dvd, anything from yoga, aerobics, to 30 Day Shred. I lift with a friend, and she is stronger than me. I feel like I am holding her back, but there's no way I can lift what she could, and she goes along with whatever I want.

My question is, should I really even worry about trying to get my lifts back up? We squatted 125 5x5 Friday. I am 5'3" and weigh somewhere between 112-114 usually. I don't want my thighs to get bigger, but wouldn't mind growing my glutes;) We usually do a glute-focused circuit once a week.

Any advice on tweaking workouts? I also don't know if I should try to maintain or bulk a little. I will also probably start swimming once/wk at the end of April (that will take the place of one evening workout).

What are your goals?

Why do you go to the gym to lift weights?
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I don't really know what my goals are. I just like lifting with my friend and working out. I enjoy having this "new" fit body. Its cool to be strong and able to run. Working out also enables me to eat the food I want:)

I know I can't really spot reduce, but I do notice that my thighs tend to get bigger and stronger before my glutes. My thighs fill out my pants, my butt doesn't. Isn't it possible to work on a specific area that we'd like to fill out a bit more?
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    ... Isn't it possible to work on a specific area that we'd like to fill out a bit more?
    Yes.
    The Glute Guy
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I guess that's what I'm trying to do. I'd like to fill out and lift my butt a little more. I've added glute bridges, lunges, good mornings, donkey kicks and more deadlifts to my already packed routine.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    ^Nice. Keep at it and have patience.