Low carb

Options
low carb is really hard to understand, I'm trying low carb high protien/fats, what should my macros be? Is this way best for weightloss?? Help!!

Replies

• winninglosing43
    winninglosing43 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Low carb is rarely ever also high protein, thats a myth. low carb, high fat, moderate protein. I try to keep my macros at atleast 75%fat but idealy 80%' 5%carbs and 15% protein. But they have calulators online. As for it being the best way for you, its not for everyone. Its definitely the right way for me because im never HUNGRY and have a lot more energy than I used to. Low carb isn't that hard.to understand there is lots of free material to read at the library or online... just a lil research and youll be a pro ,Its not a new concept. Basically you stop eating carbs that turn into glucose (sugar) and start eating fat. Your body switches from being a machine that burns sugar to use as fuel to a machine that uses fat (ketones) to use as fuel.... which is awesome because you have extra supplied storage to burn! :-) it takes several weeks to get into a state of "ketosis" where your body is burning fat instead of sugar and one high sugar or high carb meal may throw you out of that state. This explication was over simplified so hopefully it makes sense. I encourage you to do some googling. It might be for you :-)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our group. Check out the Announcement thread at the top:
    The LCD Launch Pad

We have FAQs that answer general questions about low-carbing, counting carbs, what to do when scales get wonky, and a glossary of acronyms and terms. Also there are links to recommended videos and books, and a list of recipe sites to browse.

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    There's "low carb" and there's "lower" or "low-ish" carb. I started keeping my carbs below 100 grams a day, and that has helped me a lot in terms of cutting out processed foods, eliminating junk food, reducing wheat, and keeping my calorie count low. I'm probably not really a good fit for this group because it seems that most people here are into paleo or keto or Atkins, which is too much for me. Not that it's wrong, but it's just too much for me. For one thing, I eat a lot of vegetables, and those have carbs. I also like to have my tortilla with breakfast and a cup of yogurt or Quest bar for a snack later in the day, and those have carbs. It's really up to you what you consider "low carb". Different people have different standards. I also eat more protein than fat, but again that's just me.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There's "low carb" and there's "lower" or "low-ish" carb. I started keeping my carbs below 100 grams a day, and that has helped me a lot in terms of cutting out processed foods, eliminating junk food, reducing wheat, and keeping my calorie count low. I'm probably not really a good fit for this group because it seems that most people here are into paleo or keto or Atkins, which is too much for me. Not that it's wrong, but it's just too much for me. For one thing, I eat a lot of vegetables, and those have carbs. I also like to have my tortilla with breakfast and a cup of yogurt or Quest bar for a snack later in the day, and those have carbs. It's really up to you what you consider "low carb". Different people have different standards. I also eat more protein than fat, but again that's just me.

I think it's great to have people doing different "flavors" of low carb here. I would agree than 100 g carbs/day or fewer is definitely low carb. You don't have to be ketogenic to do low carb, and there are certainly benefits of eating 100 g carbs/day compared to 300+ like many people do.

OP, you can start by jumping in full force (after reading up a bit on what type of low carb diet you want to try), or you can ease into it, such as starting by cutting out sugar and white flour. Then move on to other items like most fruits and starchy vegetables, etc. until you find a level you are comfortable at. You may reach the conclusion that very low carb (ketogenic) is something you want to try - if so just read up a bit so you know what to except and give it a try. When I started 2.5 years ago I just jumped in without really knowing much at all, and learned along the way. Come on in, the water's fine! :smile:
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    low carb is really hard to understand

I like simple. The simplest way to view LC is that you tend to naturally eat at a calorie deficit because you eat foods that fill you up. For me, that means protein.

If I eat around 30g protein per meal (90g/day), I'm too full to eat any more.

I also target around 100g carbs per day, but I think the quantity is less important than the quality. Just stay away from processed food and grains. Allocate your carbs to foods like veggies, berries, and nuts.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »

I think it's great to have people doing different "flavors" of low carb here. I would agree than 100 g carbs/day or fewer is definitely low carb. You don't have to be ketogenic to do low carb, and there are certainly benefits of eating 100 g carbs/day compared to 300+ like many people do.

Yes! I'm keto-folk, but I'm not a keto-snob. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and no one way is more right than another. Ketogenic diets aren't the end-all, be-all of low-carb diets. 100g daily is perfectly respectable. 75, 120? Whatever. I even personally consider slow-carb diets underneath our umbrella, even though that is not technically correct. It's a heck of a lot less than many SADers and more healthy. We're a motley crew, Lisawinning4losing, so don't worry about it. The ketoers may seem to be a bit more active right this minute. Time keeps ticking. Things always change. Enjoy your more veggies and your tortilla and yogurt. You won't be judged here. I'm switching to a higher carb, LCHF approach during maintenance where I'll have a low-carb tortilla here and there and more veggies. Maybe the occasional lower-carb fruit and some beans.

The only right way to low-carb, is to low-carb the perfect way for you.