clean condiments by brand name help please

Options
2»

Replies

• TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    cosmonew wrote: »
    I swear by this--Try pinterest it has helped me so much and finding clean, healthy foods to eat.

I have checked pinterest... i guess I need to be more diligent.. I see lots of good recipes...but don't know what ingredients they are using... I am totally new to words such as gluten free, and don't want to spend money on everything organic.. just the things that will really matter.. I have heard apples, spinach, lettuce are major pesticide carriers

As far as gluten goes, if you're sensitive to it you should certainly avoid it. Otherwise, limit it but don't cut it completely out. The average diet has become far too heavy on wheat products, and gluten is somewhat difficult to digest. However, it isn't the evil ingredient causing all the world's problems that some people make it out to be.

On organic, remember that even organic produce has pesticides. They just use "natural" pesticides. I do prefer non-GMO (I would like to be able to wash the pesticides off my food and not have them originating from inside it), and for that reason I would rather go with organic on certain foods. Mostly, wash your produce well no matter what type it is.

I can't afford to spend too much either, so I always look for good deals on healthy items that can be frozen or easily stored and stock up.

Good luck! And feel free to add me if you like.
  • cynhkr1300
    cynhkr1300 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    cosmonew, I don't know whether you're still following this thread or not, but just wanted to put a couple more brand names out for you to consider. I found a ketchup with zero added sugar at Sprout's Farmers Market -- brand name Westbrae. See www.westbrae.com
    Also a pasta sauce brand that I can get at any supermarket is Classico.

So even though I'm making my own salad dressings now, I do take advantage of some convenience products, when I can find relatively "clean" ones. Enjoy!
  • cynhkr1300
    Options
    cosmonew, I don't know whether you're still following this thread or not, but just wanted to put a couple more brand names out for you to consider. I found a ketchup with zero added sugar at Sprout's Farmers Market -- brand name Westbrae. See www.westbrae.com
    Also a pasta sauce brand that I can get at any supermarket is Classico.

So even though I'm making my own salad dressings now, I do take advantage of some convenience products, when I can find relatively "clean" ones. Enjoy!
  • aquariusjane
    Options
    If you are looking for sugar free condiments...Try Walden's Farm. They have BBQ sauce, ketchup, and dressings. If your grocery store has a pharmacy section, they should have a diabetic section which has sugar free food items. Hope this helps!
  • TBrownCVT
    Options
    If you are looking for sugar free condiments...Try Walden's Farm. They have BBQ sauce, ketchup, and dressings. If your grocery store has a pharmacy section, they should have a diabetic section which has sugar free food items. Hope this helps!

Walden Farms uses Splenda. I don't have enough information on Splenda to say it's horrible and should be avoided, but it is a chemical product that I, and I believe most clean eaters, prefer to avoid. I just thought I should mention that.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Splenda is processed from real sugar, and technically, all things are chemical, and chemicals are not evil. I absolutely do not avoid Splenda. I like sweets, and when I want things sweeter, I add it and never feel guilty about it. I don't get an aftertaste from Splenda, but I do from Equal. I could use real sugar or agave nectar, but I'd rather my calories come from things that are more filling.
  • gash14
    gash14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm a "make it myself" kinda of gal. Although, spices I do buy from the store.
  • TBrownCVT
    Options
    Splenda is processed from real sugar, and technically, all things are chemical, and chemicals are not evil. I absolutely do not avoid Splenda. I like sweets, and when I want things sweeter, I add it and never feel guilty about it. I don't get an aftertaste from Splenda, but I do from Equal. I could use real sugar or agave nectar, but I'd rather my calories come from things that are more filling.

The sugar industry actually disagrees with that claim. "Made from sugar" means they started with sucrose, took out some hydroxyl, and replaced it with chlorine.

Also, a diabetes journal did a study showing how it affects insulin and blood sugar levels. http://m.care.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2013/04/30/dc12-2221

Again, I'm not saying it's horrible and everyone should avoid it, but I think people should be aware and know what they are putting in their bodies. Choose for yourself whether you want to eat it.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My doctor disagrees with your linked article, which I read awhile back and asked her about last week. Also, I'll take some cues from the Diabetes Association, which doesn't diss them and in fact, describes most artificial sweeteners as not being broken down by the body. They just pass on through. I don't see how something that isn't metabolized can affect blood sugar. And since the study you cite is two years old, I would think the Diabetes Association would have updated their information by now.

diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/artificial-sweeteners/
  • GreenHeather2014
    GreenHeather2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have horrible food allergies and chemical allergies (probably because I worked in chemical labs for 15 years), so that's why I eat clean. Things like a tiny bit of dextrose will give me hives.

Xanthan gum is a rather heavily refined thickener (meaning it takes many chemical processing steps to create xanthan gum). IMO guar gum is its cleaner equivalent, as it's basically some ground up guar bean endosperms. As of this writing, I think the wikipedia entries on both of these is accurate.

I do most of my shopping at a local grocery store (PCC) that focuses on healthy, organic, local goods, so their condiments tend to be cleaner than those of a national chain store. There are no Kraft or Heinz products in this store. Have you considered looking for a local version of a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in your area?
  • cynhkr1300
    Options
    SNIP
    I don't see how something that isn't metabolized can affect blood sugar.

From what I've read, researchers don't know HOW it happens. One hypothesis is that the artificial sweeteners impact the gut microbiota, which in turn impacts the human host's metabolism. Another is that the sweet taste causes the brain (hypothalamus) or endocrine system to do things that create insulin resistance. I think all agree that further research is needed. It's probably going on now, but not yet published.

In the meantime, I appreciate TBrown having pointed out the use of Splenda in Walden Farms products. I haven't cut Splenda out totally, but I am trying to limit it, in my own diet, since it's still fairly new and apparently all its effects are not yet known.