ANyone ever refer to Speedo's swim site?

Options
fishgutzy
fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
Some intersting videos here on the Speedo swim web site.
http://explore.speedousa.com/speedofit/swim-tips.html

The old Pace club site was apparently compromised or discontinued.

Replies

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Will definitely check it out!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    I already found something I have to try to do in my freestyle stroke. I have developed the habit of keeping my arms 180 degrees opposed through my stroke.
    The video here actually shows both hands forward momentarily.
    If I can learn to breath goofy side, I can break my bad stroke habits.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Gutzy - look on YouTube for videos of a "catch-up" drill, you hold the one hand out in front until the other gets there & then you pull.....
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Gutzy - look on YouTube for videos of a "catch-up" drill, you hold the one hand out in front until the other gets there & then you pull.....

Awesome. Youtube is full of very useful stuff. A lot of distracting junk too. :)
  • Macstraw
    Options
    I know what you mean, with the right selection of junk food & my laptop I could easily undo all the work I've done in a hurry......
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Very cool. Catch up drills. Should help me with my kick too. My kick is pretty lazy on cruising laps. Only real power kicking is the last length when I sprint hard to leave my last bit of energy in the pool :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,266 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I already found something I have to try to do in my freestyle stroke. I have developed the habit of keeping my arms 180 degrees opposed through my stroke.
    The video here actually shows both hands forward momentarily.
    If I can learn to breath goofy side, I can break my bad stroke habits.

Oh jeez, and I JUST instructed my youngster to try to keep her arms moving because one of them sort of slows way down at the catch. I love these kinds of instructional videos. I guess I'm a visual learner because I learn how to do things by watching other people (who do them right), so watching people swim fascinates me. I love how they kept showing the catch over and over, and in slow motion. These seem like good quality tutorials.

I do love the youtube value though, but I'm right there with the rest of you sometimes, wondering how to get that hour of my life back... :wink:
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I was doing the 180 thing too - now I am doing the pull as the other arm goes past my ear and so my body flattens from one side, (as it flattens I pull) and then continues to the other. It is not catch up, but a much later catch. It feels really good, and you can position the pulling arm better for the catch too (it relaxes from full extension as the body flattens and this makes a better elbow shape for pull). Much more effective...so far!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Best Minute and a half ever spent. Last night I did a 2000 yard catch up drill. Awkward as heck. But it really forced me to start breaking old habits.
    This morning I started with a 500 catch up drill. A 500 kick board set in the middle of the next 5500, and spent 5000 just focusing on not pulling until my other hand touched the water except on breath strokes.
    From lap 41 to 60 I managed several 1:45 100's and did the 1000 yards in 18 minutes, the fastest 1000 ever for me.
    Stroke count habit was 24 to 26 per length. But during today's 6000, stroke count never exceeded 22. And was mostly 18-20 per length.
    In total, today's 6000 was my fastest ever. Including all momentary rests for a sip of water and fin changes, ~113 to 114 minutes.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Go fish-g Go, good job
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Awesome, Gutzy, great work!!!!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Best Minute and a half ever spent. Last night I did a 2000 yard catch up drill. Awkward as heck. But it really forced me to start breaking old habits.
    This morning I started with a 500 catch up drill. A 500 kick board set in the middle of the next 5500, and spent 5000 just focusing on not pulling until my other hand touched the water except on breath strokes.
    From lap 41 to 60 I managed several 1:45 100's and did the 1000 yards in 18 minutes, the fastest 1000 ever for me.
    Stroke count habit was 24 to 26 per length. But during today's 6000, stroke count never exceeded 22. And was mostly 18-20 per length.
    In total, today's 6000 was my fastest ever. Including all momentary rests for a sip of water and fin changes, ~113 to 114 minutes.

Fantastic. I need to take a look at those catch up drills!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Best ROI ever. 1:30 video returned at least 6 Minutes :)
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow! That's an amazing improvement!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Oh, wow! That's an amazing improvement!
    a 1:40 100 doesn't seem that unreasonable anymore :)
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Great,