Pre-surgery Lightheaded Question

Options
RENAEJAE
RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
I am pre-surgery and have been working protein shakes into my daily diet. Last week I replaced both breakfast and lunch with a shake to see how I might feel. I was still taking in around 1200 calories. After 5 days I began to feel really light headed which is making me nervous about post-surgery weeks. I've added B-12 and Magnesium to my daily vitamins. Any other suggestions? Did this happen to any of you?

Replies

• JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am still pre-surgery also, so my uptake on the situation may be different from those post op. I spent a couple weeks last month going a very high protein and no carbs diet except for what was gleaned from vegetables and had the exact same symptoms. Very light headed and weak. I decided to eat carbs again and felt better immediately. I discussed this with my nutritionist last month, and she said yes you will need to eat some carbs everyday. She wants me to eat them at every meal.
    I am not sure with post surgery body changes, you are able handle less carbs better.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    RENAEJAE wrote: »
    I am pre-surgery and have been working protein shakes into my daily diet. Last week I replaced both breakfast and lunch with a shake to see how I might feel. I was still taking in around 1200 calories. After 5 days I began to feel really light headed which is making me nervous about post-surgery weeks. I've added B-12 and Magnesium to my daily vitamins. Any other suggestions? Did this happen to any of you?

How good is your normal logging? The reason I ask is that protein shakes are a known caloric quantity and if they are replacing meals which may have been larger, you may have taken your calories down and are feeling the result.

I had some lightheadedness through the process, but generally the positional hypotension that was talked about elsewhere: lightheadedness when standing up quickly.
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I log my food really closely and my calories were still around 1200. My carbs were down over all a few days but not consistently. The lightheadedness is re positional for the most part. When I turn my head quickly or bend and stand up. I've suffered with major vertigo in the past due to sinus/ear issues and this is different (thank goodness). I'm going to replace only one meal a day with a protein shake for now. It may just be the overall change that's affecting me. I'll review with my NUT at my next appt also.
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Rename, I wondered if you are trying to cut back too much too fast. You are keeping really active so will need protein to keep your energy as well as carbs. Athletes add carbs when training more. Get used to the one shake as a meal replacement and move to two when closer to surgery.
    I am still prop but I would advise caution.

• jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    That was for Renae, NOT rename
    . Auto fill at it again
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    Thanks Jill - I am back to one shake a day and feeling much better. I'm hoping it won't be an issue after surgery when I am on all liquids for a couple of weeks.