TMI Tuesday Paleo style!

Options
13»

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Do people not poop at home? Do they intentionally wait until they get to work?
    I always poop at work.
    I get a kick out of the fact that they're essentially paying me to do it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Been trying to get into the office bathroom all morning... finally get in there. Gag. Do people not poop at home? Do they intentionally wait until they get to work? .

Well...in fairness...you do spend 2/3 or more of your day there and half or so of your waking hours. By odds alone, you're looking at a fair chance...
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    I always poop at work.

:lol:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    How many people poop repeatedly throughout the day? Unless I'm sick it's once or rarely twice, early morning most often and occasionally evening. I'm very uncomfortable in shared washrooms; I use them as little as possible. Germs, stink (poop and perfume), toxic soap... but I guess it's just me then.

I just wish they'd eat better so it wasn't so damn gross. I'm not paid enough to breathe the rottenness of others. lol
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    TMI, I always go in the morning (well, MY morning! Can be whenever I get up) after I had my large coffee. 12 oz. I then go to the bathroom and that is all. BUT, if my schedule is disrupted, I am a mess! I can't go, I go at random times, etc. If all is right in my world, morning, MAYBE evening too. Not work if I can help it! I eat well and am still rotten! Just saying. Even on very strict Paleo...nasty! It is not always diet persay.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    ^if there is a bad smell there is still something going on. Perhaps your gut flora isn't terrific? Something I mentioned in my message too. I was Paleo for years and had huge improvements, but not everything as it turns out.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    ^if there is a bad smell there is still something going on. Perhaps your gut flora isn't terrific? Something I mentioned in my message too. I was Paleo for years and had huge improvements, but not everything as it turns out.

Yeah, I learned that relatively recently. When I went more keto, my bowel movements weren't nearly as bad as before, and the more I stay away from grain, the better they are as well.

I think I mentioned this farther up the thread, but the same happened with our dogs when we switched them to raw (and my poor shepherd finally had solid movements...).
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Yeah, I learned that relatively recently. When I went more keto, my bowel movements weren't nearly as bad as before, and the more I stay away from grain, the better they are as well.

I think I mentioned this farther up the thread, but the same happened with our dogs when we switched them to raw (and my poor shepherd finally had solid movements...).

Yeah I do need to work on the gut flora probably, and cut the carbs a bit. Good points.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Just for our edification, what is the best way you guys have found to improve your gut flora @Dragonwolf @Akimajuktuq ? Has it just been getting rid of grains and reducing carbs overall, or was it something you added to your diet? I know that I feel better intestinally when I eat fewer carbs, but I doubt that is due to gut flora, since it is something I notice after just a few days.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think I mentioned this farther up the thread, but the same happened with our dogs when we switched them to raw...

This was when I knew that switching my pets to grain-free was right. The dogs would often eat their poo (disgusting) and once I had switched them over to grain-free (Taste of the Wild) that habit stopped. After some pondering, this is what I came up with: since the grains in their food wasn't really digestible, their poo had a lot of un/partially-digested grain in it and, since it still kinda smelled like what they ate - they'd try it as well! Once the grain was removed from their diet, everything got digested, poo smelled like poo - and they left it alone.

On the cats side, I noticed that hairball-upchucking has virtually disappeared, and my old tom Butters, who has kidney disease (and was told he had only six months to live) is still hanging in there over three years later. The vet still scratches his head over his failed prognosis, but he's finally stopped being condescending over my anti-grain 'rantings'.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

Just for our edification, what is the best way you guys have found to improve your gut flora @Dragonwolf @Akimajuktuq ? Has it just been getting rid of grains and reducing carbs overall, or was it something you added to your diet? I know that I feel better intestinally when I eat fewer carbs, but I doubt that is due to gut flora, since it is something I notice after just a few days.

I can't say for sure whether it was due to gut flora changes (from what I've seen, they can change on a day-to-day basis, just FYI; if you're interested in that kind of thing, check out Dr. Eric Topol, he's doing all sorts of stuff on the forefront of medicine and technology, including gut flora stuff). I don't add anything, though, under most circumstances. The only exception to that is when I took a round of antifungals followed a week later by a round of antibiotics. In that case, I took a bottle of the best probiotics I could get my hands on at the time to help re-establish good flora from that Hiroshima-level nuking.

That said, I do occasionally drink water kefir, though the ones I can get my hands on right now tend to be kind of sugary, so I don't drink much or often. I do tend to eat a lot of cheese and sour cream, so there's that, too, and my husband has been working on making root beer using fermented ginger starter cultures. I might toy with fermenting meat one day, but I haven't been brave enough for that one yet.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I'm sure the fermented veggies and kefir (homemade) helped when I ate it in the past, but once balance is good it seems pretty easy to maintain barring eating junk or taking antibiotics. I also still use Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil/butter oil fairly regularly.

I am now eating only animals and my digestive system (and mental outlook) is doing nothing but improve... I'm still in the early phase of my experment, so who knows how things will go for the entire month.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Smaller and easier. Less stinky. Just a much happier bathroom experience.... made even better with a Squatty Potty.

Speaking of the Squatty Potty, I was at Staples (an office supply store) yesterday. Imagine my surprise to see them for sale there!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    ^It's awesome... and one could make their own too.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    ^It's awesome... and one could make their own too.

That's basically what I did. We have a little stool that my son uses to wash his hands and brush his teeth at the sink. It's about the right height for a makeshift squatty potty. :)
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    I always poop at work.

^^OMG me and hubby too! We always laugh about that, stickin it to the man!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    How many people poop repeatedly throughout the day? Unless I'm sick it's once or rarely twice, early morning most often and occasionally evening. I'm very uncomfortable in shared washrooms; I use them as little as possible. Germs, stink (poop and perfume), toxic soap... but I guess it's just me then.

I just wish they'd eat better so it wasn't so damn gross. I'm not paid enough to breathe the rottenness of others. lol

I go after every meal. My body like immediately processes the food and it's done with it. I'm not sure that is even healthy. However we have a girl at my office who goes just about a often as me, it takes her a minimum of 15 minutes and no one can use the bathroom for at least an hour after that. It's awful.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I go after every meal. My body like immediately processes the food and it's done with it. I'm not sure that is even healthy. However we have a girl at my office who goes just about a often as me, it takes her a minimum of 15 minutes and no one can use the bathroom for at least an hour after that. It's awful.

Hum, I don't think there is a hard and fast (no pun intended hahahaha!) rule about this. After every meal seems kind of excessive and I'm not sure what to think about it happening right after you eat...is your #2 solid or very runny, does it still look very much like it went in, really stinky, etc? If it's well formed and not too stinky you're likely fine but you can look this up online (and the Practical Paleo book as a great page with pics on how to judge is your movements are normal). Maybe you are eating too much fiber? We have gotten so obsessed with fiber in our culture but you are really better off focusing on proliferating your beneficial flora than fiber for truly healthy digestion. Many vegans think you should go up to 8xday which is completely ridiculous. We are not rumanants after all. 1-2 times should be sufficient, which is why if you are going 3x but they are well formed it's likely not TOO much of a stretch.