Ate my first half stick of butter...

Options
jerryellis63012
jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
to get my fats up for the day, since I work 2nd shift, I have to plan my meals for the day and was short on fat, and my heart has been beating more rapidly and harder than normal ever since...thoughts? I'ts a little scary...

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    How far along are you in this journey? My guess is you are low on potassium, sodium, and magnesium.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    You almost never need to eat fat just for the sake of hitting a macro or calorie goal. If you're hungry or craving butter, go to town. I once drank a whole stick of melted butter. It was freaking amazing. But, it had nothing to do with hitting a fat goal or anything.
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    How far along are you in this journey? My guess is you are low on potassium, sodium, and magnesium.

I've been doing it currently for about a week, I use plenty of salt and eat lots of avocado for potassium so I'll get some magnesium
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of butter. I doubt anyone needs that much butter. I believe there in one of the Atkins books there is a story about a woman who ate a stick of butter a day as a snack. That's when Dr. Atkins gave her the "you don't need to count calories but calories do count" speech.

I disagree that you are getting plenty of sodium. Looking back the past few days of your diary most are well under 3,000 mg sodium. Phinney and Volek recommend 3,000-5,000 mg/day sodium, especially when first starting a low carb diet. Your protein also seems pretty low for a man.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can eat butter by the stick, but I love it in my coffee or on a steak! Use lots of it when frying my zoodles and other veggies. Yum!
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    You almost never need to eat fat just for the sake of hitting a macro or calorie goal. If you're hungry or craving butter, go to town. I once drank a whole stick of melted butter. It was freaking amazing. But, it had nothing to do with hitting a fat goal or anything.
    I actually was still hungry after breakfast, that being the other reason I did it, but the palpitations have me a bit worried. They seem to be subsiding now tho. On a great note, I have been checking my blood sugar frequently since I am type 2 diabetic and I'm consistently showing between 86 and 95 or so without meds!

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I'd also advise you to keep an eye on electrolytes wrt the heart racing.

The checklist of things to keep track of:
    Are you meeting your protein goal?
    Are you staying under your carb goal?
    Have you had enough calories and micronutrients for the day?
    Have you had enough water?
    Have you had enough electrolytes?

There is no "goal" for fats, but they fall into that 3rd question, as the only thing left to make up calories after you get your protein and carbs. As a general rule, there should be a higher percentage of fat for the day than there was of protein, but you don't need to get all 183g of it.

Percentages come more into play on a meal by meal basis. Aim for a single meal being composed of ~5% carbs. If, at the end of the day, you're at more than 5% carbs total, but still under 27g total, don't worry about trying to even out the percentages. If you're just throwing straight fat in at the end of the day, it's not really doing all that much for you beyond filling in calories. It's better combined within your meals, because that's when it will be there to help absorb nutrients.
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    Great advice I will keep all this in mind while making up my meals! Thank you!
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    While there are some extremely knowledgable individuals here on MFP, I would still recommend that you take health concerns, especially those related cardiac symptoms, to a hospital or clinic. Go get an EKG and experience the sigh of relief when you find out it is nothing major. On the off chance that it is something that needs further investigation, you will at least be in the right place.
  • fzermer
    fzermer Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Did you win the bet?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    fzermer wrote: »

Did you win the bet?

LOL, it wasn't a bet. I just had a bunch of extra melted butter after eating some shrimp and thought it looked delicious. So, I drank it.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    While there are some extremely knowledgable individuals here on MFP, I would still recommend that you take health concerns, especially those related cardiac symptoms, to a hospital or clinic. Go get an EKG and experience the sigh of relief when you find out it is nothing major. On the off chance that it is something that needs further investigation, you will at least be in the right place.

Good point.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Heart palpitations are nothing to mess with. Low potassium can cause them, but so can a host of other things that need checked out. Please get checked if they don't stop soon.
  • jerryellis63012
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    Duly noted! Thank you for the advice!
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    Heart palpitations are nothing to mess with. Low potassium can cause them, but so can a host of other things that need checked out. Please get checked if they don't stop soon.

Will definitely do!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Still got to try the butter. I do start the day with about 600 calories of coconut oil and have started adding 2 oz of 36% whip cream in my coffee/100% cocoa drink. I can drink that whipping cream like boiled custard. To move calcium from the wrong places to the right places I have added K1 and K2 to my high dose of D3 so I take the D and K's when I drink the Fat calories of my Fat coffee. :)
  • jerryellis63012
    Options
    Still got to try the butter. I do start the day with about 600 calories of coconut oil and have started adding 2 oz of 36% whip cream in my coffee/100% cocoa drink. I can drink that whipping cream like boiled custard. To move calcium from the wrong places to the right places I have added K1 and K2 to my high dose of D3 so I take the D and K's when I drink the Fat calories of my Fat coffee. :)
    It was tasty to say the least! I'm getting my coconut oil this weekend gonna start making BPC!