Smoothies and Salads

Options
Jessijorge
Jessijorge Posts: 47 Member
Hi guys, what are some of your favorite smoothie combinations?
I need ideas on new salads...

Replies

• cogsci
    cogsci Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Want a real unusual one? Please take a look at my dinner meal from Sunday March 22! Yes, all those ingredients listed are part of my personal standard large smoothie. Some things vary depending on what's available in our fridge and freezer.
  • kadesbully088
    kadesbully088 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Jessijorge wrote: »
    Hi guys, what are some of your favorite smoothie combinations?
    I need ideas on new salads...

Spinach, orange juice, greek yogurt(plain) ice cubes, strawberries, chia seeds

• kadesbully088
    kadesbully088 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Spinach, pinapple, orange juice, greek yogurt, chia seeds
  • Jessijorge
    Options
    I made frozen pumpkin puree banana maple syrup almond milk and a little cinnamon, so good if you're a pumpkin fan. :smile:
  • theTrin
    theTrin Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Options
    fresh Mango (1/2-1 whole mango, how you like it), fresh Orange juice (from 2 oranges), pineapple (maybe 1/3?), fresh mint (10-15 leaves). You can also swap pineapple for strawberry or add a banana. The mint makes it so deli anyway
    Makes about 3 glasses
  • jerehfoy
    jerehfoy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It is the traditional strawberry and banana smoothies I am ALWAYS craving. So I just use the cheaper bag of frozen strawberries, that way it acts as the ice as well, about 1 cup and 1 banana, then I just add Vanilla Soy Milk to taste. It is so sweet you would never know that there isnt anything added to make it sweet.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My fav go to morning shake: protein powder, spinach, frozen blueberries, 1/3 banana, flaxseeds, a yoplait light yogurt plus all my vitamins. A little apple juice too when I need more sweet that day. If not, just water.

For a higher fat, more filling on bigger workout days my chocolate shake: chocolate protein powder, frozen banana, almond butter, spinach and the rest I usually do - vitamins and water. So yummy

I like to make shakes right when I get home from the gym and then stick it in the freezer while I get ready so by the time I leave, I have an ice cold slushee to enjoy during my commute!
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Salad ideas? I love mandarin chicken salad: Mixed greens, chopped tomato, about 8-10 sections of canned mandarin oranges, cooked and cubed chicken, all sprinkled with sliced almonds.

Tonight we had a taco salad: Iceberg lettuce, Romaine lettuce, spinach leaves, chopped tomatoes, 2 oz very lean ground beef (cooked and drained of fat then cooked with just a bit of taco seasoning as directed on package), 1 oz of grated cheese, 2 tortilla chips crunched up and sprinkled on top. I used 2T of salsa mixed with 1T of sour cream for dressing. MFP gave me 315 calories for a huge salad.

• GreenValli
    Options
    BTW my husband wanted to do more main dish salads for the next week or two. I can post more as I make them if you want. I often look at restaurant menu descriptions for ideas.

70044776.png
  • Jessijorge
    Options
    cogsci wrote: »
    Want a real unusual one? Please take a look at my dinner meal from Sunday March 22! Yes, all those ingredients listed are part of my personal standard large smoothie. Some things vary depending on what's available in our fridge and freezer.

Is your food diary open for viewing or is it on private?
    GreenValli wrote: »
    Salad ideas? I love mandarin chicken salad: Mixed greens, chopped tomato, about 8-10 sections of canned mandarin oranges, cooked and cubed chicken, all sprinkled with sliced almonds.

Tonight we had a taco salad: Iceberg lettuce, Romaine lettuce, spinach leaves, chopped tomatoes, 2 oz very lean ground beef (cooked and drained of fat then cooked with just a bit of taco seasoning as directed on package), 1 oz of grated cheese, 2 tortilla chips crunched up and sprinkled on top. I used 2T of salsa mixed with 1T of sour cream for dressing. MFP gave me 315 calories for a huge salad.
    Yum taco salad sounds good :smile: thanks
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My 2 favorite salads are:
    *Spinach, Strawberry and goat cheese (so flavorful, no dressing is needed)
    *Grilled Buffalo Chicken (I make my own low calorie blue cheese to use on the side when my mouth needs cooled off-I like the combination of spicy sauce with cool lettuce)

Here are the ones that I plan on making over the next few weeks- all pulled off Pinterest and the Food Network:
    *Adobo grilled chicken, corn, black bean over lettuce
    *Tzaziki marinated grilled chicken salad
    *Spicy Tai Asian Grilled Chicken Salad
    *Philly cheese steak salad (can also do a Steak & Blue salad)

Basically- I love strongly flavored chicken in my salad, especially the spicy stuff. I have been trying to find recipes that are so flavorful that dressings are not needed.
  • GreenValli
    edited April 2015
    Options
    twrobbel wrote: »
    My 2 favorite salads are:
    *Spinach, Strawberry and goat cheese (so flavorful, no dressing is needed)
    *Grilled Buffalo Chicken (I make my own low calorie blue cheese to use on the side when my mouth needs cooled off-I like the combination of spicy sauce with cool lettuce)

Here are the ones that I plan on making over the next few weeks- all pulled off Pinterest and the Food Network:
    *Adobo grilled chicken, corn, black bean over lettuce
    *Tzaziki marinated grilled chicken salad
    *Spicy Tai Asian Grilled Chicken Salad
    *Philly cheese steak salad (can also do a Steak & Blue salad)

Basically- I love strongly flavored chicken in my salad, especially the spicy stuff. I have been trying to find recipes that are so flavorful that dressings are not needed.

Thanks so much for sharing your salad ideas, Twrobbel! I will have to search the Food Network and maybe even join Pinterest when I need more salad ideas. I thought Pinterest was basically a site for crafts. I did not know about their recipes. The main dish salad idea has helped me lose lbs. this past week and we have another week planned doing mostly main dish salad for dinners. They have been easy meals to put together, too, once I have washed all the lettuces and fresh spinach.
    70044776.png
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My new favorite smoothie contains 1/2 cup almond milk, 1 scoop unflavored protein powder, 1/2 cup Oikos coconut crème Greek yogurt, fresh pineapple, and a handful of spinach or other greens. Sometimes I add some chia seeds if I feel I need the fiber and healthy fat. My favorite salad is spring mix greens, sliced pears, blue cheese crumbles, a few pecans, and a dressing made from olive oil, red wine vinegar, a little Dijon mustard, sea salt, and pepper. Sometimes I will top it with some grilled or roasted chicken, fish, or seafood. B)
  • mamacooksalot
    Options
    Adding fruit helps reduce the need for dressing, I find. Orange and grapefruit go great with chicken and fish; sliced apple or grapes go well with cheese and ham. Berries are good with goat cheese. I also love mango with prawns. Never found a fruit that goes well with eggs, mind you!
    Adding seeds and nuts helps to boost the protein and add texture.
    Use a mixture of two/three lettuce types in one salad for variation.
    Remember you can often use up cold cooked veg in a salad.
    If you have kids, make their salad in a jar - layer it up and let them shake it to mix it. Tastes better, apparently ;-)
  • jenniepriebe
    jenniepriebe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My favorite smoothie lately is 8 oz. light almond milk, 1 T. cocoa powder, 1 T. agave nectar, 1 banana and ice. 205 calories and it tastes like ice cream!

My go-to salads are 1) Greek - salad greens, 3 oz. chicken breast, tomatoes, zucchini, feta, a few kalamata olives and light Italian dressing. 2) Baby spinach, strawberries, 3 oz. chicken breast, whole raw almonds, and fat free poppyseed dressing. :smile:
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My most recent Pre-Workout Smoothie

Light Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
    1 scoop of Chocolate flavored Whey Isolate - I use Jay Robb
    2 Tbsp PB2 Chocolate Powdered Peanut butter
    2 teaspoons regular peanut butter - Need the fat
    1 small banana or 1/2 Med banana (I don't freeze mine)
    1 teaspoon Maca Vanilla Chai powder - Reported to give energy ( I can't decide if its real)
    1 teaspoon of Mega Food Daily Turmeric powder - Reported to help with Joint pains (Believer)
    1 Cup of Vanilla Unsweetened Almond Milk or 1/2 Almond Milk and 1/2 Cold Coffee
    Lots and Lots of Ice and blend like crazy " Makes crazy amount if you do lots of ice"

Calories - Per the amounts used above (Can omit the Supplements)
    261 Calories, 23 Carbs,6 Fat,406 Sodium, 34 Protein and 10 Sugar (per tracker)

This gets me through 2 hours of exercise classes - spin / Cardio-Wt lifting
  • TinaMarie4793
    TinaMarie4793 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am not much of a breakfast eater, which I know is a big no no! For breakfast I like to have a smoothie it is quick, easy and filling. In a blender I blend 2 Tblsp. of Hodgson mill flax/chia blend, 1 cup of Silk coconut original, 1/2 of a 5.3 oz countainer of Silk dairy free strawberry yogurt alternative and 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries and bananas.
    My favorite salad has spinach, greens, grape tomatoes, feta cheese, pecans, craisens, and an olive oil based vinegrette.
  • GreenValli
    Options
    My new favorite salad, Berry Almond Chicken Salad: mixed greens, 2 oz roasted chicken breast, sliced strawberries, raspberries (or blackberries), dried cranberries, with a little grated cheese and sliced almonds on top. The berries make it so yummy. I do use 1/2 Tablespoon Poppy Seed dressing. but it would be good even without dressing.
    70044776.png
  • GreenValli
    edited April 2015
    Options

Oh, I now see Jennie Priebe has the same idea. You know it has to be good! And berries are great this time of year.
  • rmbran1949
    rmbran1949 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    jerehfoy wrote: »
    It is the traditional strawberry and banana smoothies I am ALWAYS craving. So I just use the cheaper bag of frozen strawberries, that way it acts as the ice as well, about 1 cup and 1 banana, then I just add Vanilla Soy Milk to taste. It is so sweet you would never know that there isnt anything added to make it sweet.