Never been good at running.. Maybe I should give it a try

Options
Claire8614
Claire8614 Posts: 157 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
A lot of people on my page seem to enjoy running, I've never been much of a runner, do you have any advice for someone that is useless at running!

I was exercising using my cross trainer and exercise bike regularly and was getting a bit fitter but I have been lazy the past couple of weeks

I'm about 152lbs, small have about another twenty pounds to lose

Replies

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner either. Even back in grade school, I thought I was doing good when I could run around the gym once! Just start. Human beings are meant to run. C25k is a great way to ease yourself into it. Get some good shoes and just go.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Claire8614 wrote: »
    ....do you have any advice for someone that is useless at running!

Start running...?

Basically just use a plan of some kind to get you moving, C25K will get you to 30 minutes continuously. Give it a try.

A lot of it depends on what motivates you. For me, now, going out for a couple of hours on a Saturday morning gives me time to myself, time to reflect and process. I did C25K two years ago, and now pretty consistently run up to half marathon distances.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I'm echoing the above. Before I did C25K the only running I would do was at a horse show and I hated it. I (re)started C25K August 2013 after a failed attempt in 2012, or maybe even 2011 where I let life/work interrupt too much.
    My original goal was to not be the worst runner amongst friends on a Tough Mudder team, I finished C25K a week before TM and I succeeded in my goal. I had enjoyed the running, but let things wain for a while before I found parkrun and I picked up a B210K program, somewhere in there I discovered my love of running.
    I now have trouble running less than 50k a week and I will re-arrange a schedule, or even factor running into a work trip.

Find a target that will motivate you through C25K, trust the program, finish the program and then honestly find another target a little bigger than your first to push you a bit longer. If you're going to love running you'll find the target.

Also never forget the number 1 rule of C25K.. Slow down, then slow down more. It's possible to run slower than you walk, and that is the pace you should start with.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Just start C25K. I remember when I first started, I thought there must be some "magic" step between my almost-300-pound-can-barely-walk-a-few-blocks self and a "super fit" (in my mind) runner. Just do day 1. I did it in loafers, jeans, and a dress shirt. I did it after dark so nobody would see me. I remember in those early days teasing my wife by calling myself a runner but, honestly, I WAS! Anybody who gets up off the couch is immediately "in the club". And that "magic" step . . . it's not there. With the C25K program, it's a series of "if you can do this, you can do that". (i.e. If you can run 1 minute and walk 90 seconds, and you do that a few times, then you can run 90 seconds and walk 1 minute. Et cetera.) I think the toughest step for me, mentally, was the first 20 minute run with no break. Mentally, that was a bit tough. But it was really exciting to complete it.

Like I said - just do it. Don't wait for perfect weather, or perfect gear, or perfect whatever. Just step out your door -TODAY- and start with day 1. Go as slow as you like; don't worry about speed AT ALL. In 12 weeks, you'll be really proud, and probably more fit and lighter than you imagine.

One other thing I read somewhere that I have found to be true, that has gotten me out the door a couple times:

"You will never regret having gone for a run."
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I would echo the comments above, running was a chore done to get in the rugby team, not something I loved. I started C25k in June 2014 not being able to run 2 minutes. I did a HM in March 2015 in 2hr6m. I run 20 out of 21 days. I hate that Monday I don't run. I have more running shoes than dress shoes, go figure. I think the transition for me was the long runs, once I stopped freaking out about them and started experiencing runner highs (post 15 min runs) it settled in place. I hope you find something you enjoy, I thought it would be weights for me but it turned out to be running.