Why am I still hungry?

Options
Almoshposh
Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I have been on lowcarb diets on and off for the past 4 years. It usually takes me 3 to 5 days to get into ketosis and start experiencing a loss of appetite. However now is day 10 and I feel as though I'm STARVING. Also by now my ketostix should be showing purple or deep pink but all I'm getting is a pale pink or nothing at all. I'm really careful to keep my net carbs below 20g and to eat as clean as possible. I really want to make this a lifestyle and not a diet anymore so all help and advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• aishlynn
    aishlynn Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so that people can see what you're eating :)
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with aishlynn.... Open up your diary. I expect it is probably related to your fat intake... But no way to tell.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    >Also by now my ketostix should be showing purple or deep pink but all I'm getting is a pale pink or nothing at all.

A. the strips only show urine ketones not the more significant blood ketones
    B. they only measure waste ketones, so false negatives are possible

Ketostix are meant to detect ketoacidosis, they are not a reliable indicator of nutritional ketosis.
  • Almoshposh
    Options
    How do I open my diary?
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Get a glucometer. Ketostix are a complete waste of time. You will probably find that your glucose is elevated through stress or calorie restriction which is affecting keto adaptation. And eat more fat! :)
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    From your macros on you diary for the last few days, my guess is you are just plain eating too little for your activity. Your calories are very low. After years of fighting my calories, I track for nutrients and macros now IF I track. That 1200 thing is usually BS and detrimental (with a few exceptions). You can also often afford more calories on a low carb diet, as was one of the premises of the original low carb diets. I would use this calculator if I was still counting calories keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ While it does have the calories available, it also cautions you when you are doing too high a deficit. You can also adjust all the macros to your liking which is nice.
  • Almoshposh
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. Glucometers are extremely expensive this side of the world (I'm in South Africa).l will increase my calorie intake hopefully that will help work.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    How did you have a whole cup of oil at breakfast on Monday? I would vomit.
  • Almoshposh
    Options
    Hi shai. I had a teaspoon of oil to start doing my bacon so it doesn't burn. Not sure where you got the cup from :/

Just an update. I'm no longer as hungry as before. If anything I'm actually struggling to eat coz of no appetite at all. I suppose I just needed to give the process time.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you got the cup from :/

3/30's entry