nyquil.... so irritated with myself

Options
ThinnerHill
ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
So thanks to the lovely girls at work I have come down with my worst cold in AGES!!!!! So desperate for a bit of relief I took nyquil liquid 2 nights in a row. WTH was I thinking?!?!?! Kicked me out if ketosis I'm sure. This morning I checked BG and it was 109!!!!! Normal in ketosis for me is 69 to 88. CRAP!!!!!!! How do i fix this quickly? No carb day for a couple days and no more nyquil? So irritated. I never cheat. I'm almost always under 10 carbs since the beginning. 90+ days and you'd think I'd learn do NOT take liquid medicine!!!!!

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Breathe. Get better. Right now, that's what matters. Drink bone broth to get the nutrients that will help you get better. Buy the pill version next time, or find natural remedies. Get right back to your normal routine.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I second the above. Stress and guilt are far larger problems for our overall health than an honest mistake over some medicine. Get better, then get back to it. After returning to full health, and only then, a fat fast of some kind **might** help, but remember that your BG might just be off from being sick, and not even from the meds! Being sick messes up our entire system...not just a part. (hugs)
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    That stinks. There is sugar in so many unexpected places. I am sure we all have slipped up unexpectedly at some point. Don't be to hard on yourself and look for alternatives without sugar. I hope you feel better soon.
  • stevieedge2015
    stevieedge2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    That stinks. There is sugar in so many unexpected places. I am sure we all have slipped up unexpectedly at some point. Don't be to hard on yourself and look for alternatives without sugar. I hope you feel better soon.

Stop I'd wicked bad heartburn the other day. Bought sugar free rennie - kept saying 'oh I'll just have one more' then I read the ingredients and they're full of potato starch! Whoops :) these things happen. Do you have panadol night where you live? Fab for a good nights sleep when you've a cold! Feel better xx
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Most medicines of that type are sugar free here in Australia. Or take the grown up version in pill form?
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think Nyquil has 19g of carbs. Most cold/cough medicines have a lot of sugar in them to make the palatable. I made the same mistake once when I was so sick. I got some sleep and felt better the next day so it wasn't all that bad.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Try to remember that its just one or two days, its ok :) Many people would kill for a fasting blood sugar of 109, and that's the worst one you've seen in a very long time! Sounds like you're doing great.
    How do i fix this quickly?

Switch to nyquil gelcaps or whatever else will help you out without sugar, you don't need to do anything at all. If you're usually under 10g carbs most days and just took the recommended dosage of nyquil you may very well not even be out of ketosis, and if you are, you'll be back in by tomorrow night probably, without doing anything crazy at all.