Muscle fatigue getting worse.

Options
MrsNonsense
MrsNonsense Posts: 55 Member
I hike 2-3 times a week, and I didn't have any issues before.
Last Sunday I noticed my legs were giving up on me after a while, and today I felt like I had to quit after only 20 minutes into the hike, the uphill wasn't bad at all.
I finished t but It was brutal, 6 miles feeling I hs knives stabbing my legs.
As soon as I start the uphill, even the minimum elevation gain will make my legs hurt. Feels like someone is pulling my muscles from both ends.

today, the thought of giving up on Keto crossed my mind. I don't want to, but I can't not be able to workout.
Now, I'm possibly overreacting and I know many people take supplements, but before taking anything, should I bother my doctor over this? I don't really like her, she's not very nice, so I try to avoid her if I can, but maybe that's what I need to do? Or should I go and get some magnesium pills? I've been taking just one pill of potassium a day (99mg).
Best thing for me would be something I could add to my water bottle, but I've read that mio drops and such don't do anything, really.
I'm not a fan of taking unnecessary pills.
Just fyi, I take Claritin and Singulair daily for my allergies.

Sorry for the long post.

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    How long have you been keto, and at how many carbs?
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Trust me.... It gets better... But depending on your age... It may take a while. I am 65 and it took most of 3 weeks for me to get back my energy level. I never did see the massive increase in energy that folks talk about on here.
  • MrsNonsense
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm 28 years old, 20g carbs a day is my limit, I rarely reach 20, it's usually less, been on Keto for two weeks and a day, I've had (and still do) that huge extra energy since day 4, but that's not what I'm worried about.
    My muscles hurt a lot when exercising, hiking is killing me and I didn't have tht problem before. I've noticed the pain getting more intense every day, and it takes less time for my legs to start aching when I start exercising.
    It's like someone is pulling my muscles from both ends of my legs.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Just because you are in ketosis, does not mean you are keto adapted... From what I understand that can take several weeks after you enter ketosis.
  • MrsNonsense
    Options
    @Lrdoflamancha‌ I'm not saying I'm keto adapted or asking if I am. I asked this because I want to know what can I do to fix this, from people that been in the same spot.
    I can't afford to stop working out, so I need to know if it's fixable by taking pills or if it'll disappear on its own. I've read different things online so I don't know what to think, but I trust the people in this group cause they seem to know they're stuff.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    My quad muscles caused me to feel exhausted *very* quickly when I set out walking, even on flat footpaths. They just ached and felt dead and completely devoid of energy. I doubt this is the same thing that you are describing - it sounds to me as if you're truly suffering pain with yours?

I had to take a couple of weeks break from exercising and now I'm completely fine and can do whatever I want. I'm 58 and in a keto state. Went straight from a SAD diet to under 25g carbs. I think I caused the problem by not taking it easy for the first couple of weeks low carb, but I hadn't read that you should *not* do aerobic exercise until you adapt. I'm a treadmill jogger and sprinter but we do walk fairly long distances when we can too.

I've no idea if that's any help to you, but are you able to take a week off from hiking and see if that helps? I'm not saying to not see your doctor if you feel it's necessary. Peter Attia or Prof Tim Noakes could be worth googling, they are both keto athletes.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I had these problems when I had a potassium and general electrolyte defficiency from diuretics (low carb diet IS a diuretic effect). Potassium! Magnesium! Sodium! Add salt to your foods, drink salty broth, take supplements of magnesium and potassium (99mg of potassium is not even a drop in the bucket!! You need at least probably 2500mg potassium, and the recommendation is more, to feel right!). I use Calm Magnesium, NuSalt, and sea salt to make up my differences after I have logged here to see what I need. I also recommend eating a lot of greens, like Swiss Chard, collards, etc. They are low carb and high in potassium and nutrients. If you can fit it in your macros, Low Sodium V8 always helped me and has a lot, like 800+mg I believe per serving.

One note...not all entries list these, so you want to look specifically at ones that do. For example all fruits and veggies have SOME potassium. So if it says 0, look at another entry, until you find one that has it. I use Dole's spring mix because my brand doesn't list it. Meats should have some as well. Even Coffee does. So look for the listings with it.

If you try this, and it doesn't work, you can go to the not nice doc (don't mention low carb!) and ask for vitamin and mineral blood work because you aren't feeling right. That can give you better answers but at a price.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hiking 6 miles may require more carbs.
    If you aren't even doing 20 grams.

I use the powered Electrolites and sometimes, if I have been working out double or triple the intake . along with EnergyC. I think yours may be an adjustment issue. Maybe talk to a nutritionist.

Can you lay off the 6 miles for awhile, and see if things change?

• gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    I had these problems when I had a potassium and general electrolyte defficiency from diuretics (low carb diet IS a diuretic effect). Potassium! Magnesium! Sodium! Add salt to your foods, drink salty broth, take supplements of magnesium and potassium (99mg of potassium is not even a drop in the bucket!! You need at least probably 2500mg potassium, and the recommendation is more, to feel right!). I use Calm Magnesium, NuSalt, and sea salt to make up my differences after I have logged here to see what I need. I also recommend eating a lot of greens, like Swiss Chard, collards, etc. They are low carb and high in potassium and nutrients. If you can fit it in your macros, Low Sodium V8 always helped me and has a lot, like 800+mg I believe per serving.

One note...not all entries list these, so you want to look specifically at ones that do. For example all fruits and veggies have SOME potassium. So if it says 0, look at another entry, until you find one that has it. I use Dole's spring mix because my brand doesn't list it. Meats should have some as well. Even Coffee does. So look for the listings with it.

If you try this, and it doesn't work, you can go to the not nice doc (don't mention low carb!) and ask for vitamin and mineral blood work because you aren't feeling right. That can give you better answers but at a price.

this
  • MrsNonsense
    Options
    I guess I could give it a break if necessary.
    I bought magnesium and calcium supplements yesterday. I have the 99mg potassium pills, I've read on a forum a guy was taking 20 of those a day, I'm not a pill lover, I avoid all pills and meds as much as I can so it'd be weird for me.
    I'm guessing potassium is the hardest one to get? I also read that you shouldn't take Magnesium supplements for longer than a week, not sure if true or not.
    Anyway, I sent a message to my doctor last night, I'll see what she says. I have NO idea where I am at right now.
    I've had that fatigue you mention, @GrannyMayOz‌. I just can't quit working out for a long time.
    @annieboomboom‌ I hike 5-6 miles 2 to 3 times a week, I've finally managed to have my whole carb count under 20 :P I didn't know you had to up it if you're working out QQ

thanks for all the advice!
  • MrsNonsense
    Options
    btw, is there any way for MFP to show how much potassium you've consumed in a day? I can't find it anywhere.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I differ a bit in the carb info. I don't think you do need to up your carbs if the body is burning fat. In fact you don't have to ever eat any carbs. It's well explained in the book Keto Clarity and in this video presentation by Dr Attia

Yes the brain needs glycogen, but that doesn't need to come from ingested carbs. Also there are many endurance athletes on keto. They're not necessarily carb loading.

You can track your potassium on mfp but it's not necessarily accurate. I'm starting to track mine manually. The reason is that potassium is not required to be listed on labels. So most of the food already in mfp doesn't have potassium listed in their counts. Things like coffee actually has a significant amount. (I've been reasearching this lately as I was concerned about my own levels.) Avocado (as noted by kirkor) is AMAZING for postassium! Spinach is pretty good. You might get more than you think. Or not. Often I'm seening on here that leg muscle problems are electrolytes and more specifically calcium and magnesium. You're doing a boat load of cardio almost daily by looking at your diary. So the electrolyte theory could hold a lot of sway IMO. But I think it's a good think to get tested anyway. Just so you have a base marker and rule out anything obvious.

If you DO want to add the potassium column,
    Go to top of page and click on FOOD
    then to the very right SETTINGS

Under nutrients tracked, change one of your columns to potassium. You can only have 5 columns so you'll have to change one.

HTH
  • MrsNonsense
    Options
    thank you @gsp90x‌ ! That's very helpful. I started taking magnesium and calcium supplements, I'll see my dr next week and hopefully get some answers as to where I'm at right now.
    I cancelled my hike for today, I don't want to suffer again lol.
    Thanks for all your help guys!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    thank you @gsp90x‌ ! That's very helpful. I started taking magnesium and calcium supplements, I'll see my dr next week and hopefully get some answers as to where I'm at right now.
    I cancelled my hike for today, I don't want to suffer again lol.
    Thanks for all your help guys!

You'll know if you take too much magnesium, you'll get diarrhea! Not enough = muscle cramps.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Need Potassium?
    Keto Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used in LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Previous Discussions (lots of easy Keto recipes and other useful Keto info)
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    btw, is there any way for MFP to show how much potassium you've consumed in a day? I can't find it anywhere.

In the mobile app you can click "Nutrition" to see a day's totals. It should list it there, in the list view.
  • MrsNonsense
    Options
    While reading about magnesium supplements I found a few places where it recommends not to take those pills for longer than a week, anyone knows anything about this?
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    For something to "add to your water", try Aminolast supplement. It has aminos and electrolytes. I was using those Emergen-C type packets until my fiance pointed out that his amino powder had electrolytes and was cheaper per serving for a canister.
    You can find Aminolast online or at stores like Vitamin Shoppe.
    If you want to try the packets, there's one called Oxylent which has no carbs and fizzes in water. There's another made by the makers of Emergen-C that is in a green packet that also has no carbs.

Regarding the magnesium supplements, it's possible for magnesium to build up in the body when taken in high doses. There's some info on webmd and the suggestion that "Doses less than 350 mg per day are safe for most adults."

-T.
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Have any of you tried topical magnesium oil for supplementing? I'm not positive how to measure the amount you get from it, but I do know that for me it will make a headache better within maybe 15 mins when applied to my neck/base of skull (I supposedly have fibro and get headaches from tense neck & shoulders). I have the NaturalCalm unflavored stuff to drink too, but have a hard time getting it down... Before I started keto I took it in a few oz of juice, haven't figured out a good alternative yet.
    FWIW @MrsNonsense, I am 30 and about 3 1/2 weeks into keto... I do a cardio class 1 day/wk, a yoga class 1 day/wk, and walk about 1.5 miles maybe 2-3 days/wk. 2 weeks ago we did about a 4.5 mile hike with a significant altitude gain with no problem, but last week I wasn't able to go as far or as much of an altitude gain and felt like I was dying. I tried explaining it to myself by saying it was because there was a cold front coming in (which messes with my joints and generally makes me feel like crap) or because it was my TOM... But it definitely got me down, especially when my 3 year old and my 6 year old who has cerebral palsy were both still going strong...
  • MrsNonsense
    Options
    @rkufeke That's what happened to me yesterday, I've done that hike before, better and faster. But yesterday we took a lower trail, about 400ft elevation gain compared to our previous 1000+ and 20 mins in I wanted to cry and quit. I skipped my hike for today and went for a walk instead, my muscles are still sore but I'm praying the supplements help.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,465 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    2 weeks in to Keto is very likely a short period to do rigorous exercise. You probably need to slowly build up the distance/time and your body will adapt.