trying something new

Options
I'm on week 7 day 2 of running two and a half miles in 35 minutes I may not run fast but at least I'm trying at the age of 59 I had to try something new

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    That's a great run! Way to go! I started running at 54 and haven't looked back (don't need to.......I see everyone as they pass me by :smile: ).
    My current 5K (3.1 mile) time is around 38 minutes. Not fast but consistent.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    That's a great run! Way to go! I started running at 54 and haven't looked back (don't need to.......I see everyone as they pass me by :smile: ).
    My current 5K (3.1 mile) time is around 38 minutes. Not fast but consistent.

Harsh, but brought a smile to my face.

msrose50, hey that's 2.5 miles I wasn't doing before July last year. Keep at it, speed will come as you spend more time on your feet running. It can be disheartening out running with people going past you, but just keep a record of how far you go and how you feel, not necessarily about the time. You will see improvement as we all have when starting these programmes. Focus on that.

I looked at the finishing times for the HM I have just done. I can't imagine getting close to the fastest time in my age group, but I felt inspired by the people who carried on going and came in after me, some over 2 hours later. Huge amount of dedication.

You can do this!!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    LOL! Not harsh really,.....just joking at my slowness. Runners are such a friendly bunch of people. I've met nothing but smiles, waves and greeting while running on the roads and trails. No one cares how fast (or slow) you go or how far you run. They just like seeing others running and enjoying themselves.

I do what ftrobbie does: don't compare myself with others but check my progress over time. It's a thrill to get a new personal best, even by only a second. The fun is in the daily run (new scenery, new route, familiar route) and in the long-term improvements.

I tend to run alone due to my schedule. I quite enjoy the "alone" time.

I haven't run an official race yet, though. I am thinking about doing one this spring, just to see what its like.