How do I know whether to increase calories even more?

Options
FRJM
FRJM Posts: 91 Member
For the last week, maybe 2, I have eaten at what I think is TDEE-10% which is 2168 cals. Some days I am over but really try not to eat below. I am seeing a very very slight drop in weight at that level, I feel great and am finding my appetite is increasing A LOT!! It's great eating at this level but I am just a little bit confused. Do I stick at that level? Do I need to keep increasing calories? How do I know??

Replies

• Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yes, keep increasing slowly until you see a small consistetent gain on the scale. You want to make sure it's not just a fluctuation from increasing cals again. Then you know you've surpassed your tdee, so back down 100 or so calories and eat there for awhile ( if you're doing a full reset 9-12 weeks). Then you can take 10-15% deficit for fat loss.
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    You may not be doing a full reset...I don't think you are. But it's always great to find your true tdee by pushing cals up. You may still have a ways to go yet and you wont know unless you test it!
  • FRJM
    Options
    I am getting round to that way of thinking!! (Who knew I could change my opinion on weight/fat loss in such a big way) It really really helps to see all my new friends upping their calories too, to what seems like a crazy level. I'm shocked that I now actually get hungry eating over 2000 cals per day....does that in itself tell me I need to go higher? Like you say, I need to keep going so I find out my true TDEE but is the hunger an indication?
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    I do personally believe the hunger can be an indication. That is from personal experience I say this. I think it can indicate that your metabolism is still healing and increasing from the extra calories. I'm pretty sure your TDEE is higher than you initially thought, so keep going for sure!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I also think hunger can be an indication. I seem to need 2000 minimum, if I don't eat that then the next day my body cries out to be fed and fed much more!
    If you're still losing weight you aren't eating at TDEE yet, thats good news if you ask me :smiley:
  • FRJM
    Options
    Sounds good to me :smiley:
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    hunger to me seems consistant with eating below TDEE. yesterday i ate around 1600 and i was sedentary all day with being sick and it seemed like it was enough i did not feel hungry but on days where i am reaching 75% of my maximum heart rate in cardio i need another 200 calories maybe
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I find that the scooby calorie calculator is a fantastic guide of what your tdee should be. It also advises that when you lose 5lb of your starting weight you go back and recalculate. I have found it really useful and am loving eating my 2230 cals a day. As others have said, read the stickies at the top of this page because one of the recommendations is that you stick with it for 12 weeks for a full metabolic reset.
    All the best with it and feel free to connect with me.