Feel like I'm losing my mind, advice?

Options
Last year after experiencing some weird fatigue/blackout incidents and getting some blood work done my GP told me my thyroid levels were basically out of control (hyper) and thus began my frustrating ordeal of undertaking multiple tests (ultrasound, x-rays, soo so many blood tests) and being told they were "inconclusive" due to my thyroid looking normal. After another blood test a couple of weeks later my levels had gotten better and my endocrinologist speculated that it was either a virus (PLEASE), or Grave's disease but to wait 6 months to check again....
So that brings me to now. I'm still feeling exhausted, anxious, my hair is falling out way too much, etc; and I still have to wait months to see if it's the thyroid or something else.
Oh and I've apparently got 'pernicious anemia' now too?? (associated with Grave's so not a good sign :( )

I'm only 20 and I just feel like my body is destroying itself and my mental state along with it and all I can do is wait and see :\ I don't know what to do, and I can't really explain it to people because I sound like a freaking hypochondriac.

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    May I suggest you try to get a second opinion, third, forth and even fifth. Try not to take NO for an answer. I understand Graves is very hard to live with, if this is what it is, what you are experiencing is more than difficult and you need more help and understanding than you are receiving right now. You would probably benefit with more help with "pernicious anaemia" too, absorption of vitamin and minerals is compromised, if I remember rightly which causes many problems.

Australia has a good Thyroid support site, I looked at it quite a while ago, it is good and may give you an insight into what is going on and may give you suggestions for how you can help yourself and where to turn next. I don't know if you would find any help from the Stop the thyroid Madness web site, it is American and America centered but keeps up to date with things. I think I read that the antibodies associated with Graves as well as Hashi,(my problem) respond to selenium but this is something I think were I your age, I would take advice from a medic about it rather than another body on the net.

All the very best,
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm still feeling exhausted, anxious, my hair is falling out way too much, etc; and I still have to wait months to see if it's the thyroid or something else.

I have Hashimoto's, and I'm never tired when I'm hyperthyroid, much less than exhausted. I barely sleep.

I'm not saying you don't have Grave's, I'm saying please don't stress about it before you're even diagnosed. Your symptoms could be caused by any number of things. If your endocrinologist refuses to see you for six months, then make an appointment ASAP with your GP/primary care/internist.

I assume you're taking vitamin B12 for the pernicious anemia? Work on the anxiety, too—therapy, medication, yoga, meditation, exercise…

You deserve to feel better. Do not give up!
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Wow, 6 months is a long wait for help when you have symptoms like that. I wonder if the Endocrinologist that suggested you come back in 6 months would wait that long if he/she was dealing with those symptoms. I suspect not.
    I'm definitely with Fuzzipeg on seeking a second, third or fourth opinion. Your health is worth the effort (irrespective of age).
    Hope you get the answers you're looking for sooner rather than later.
  • bronkeekong
    bronkeekong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My humble opinion. Get another diagnosis from another doctor.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I agree with bronkeekong. I think you should see another doctor. Especially because your symptoms sound like they could be dangerous. There would be no way they could reasonably expect a person experiencing what you are to wait 6 months.

I have Hashimoto disease, they have blood tests for tsh, triitiodine, tpo (antibodies) and t4 that can help your doctor figure it out.

Disclaimer: You may need a second, possibly a third, and a fourth opinion. Research a doctor if you can before you see them too, it could save you time and money.
  • jms1739
    jms1739 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said. Keep pressing on till you find a Dr. that will diagnose you. When it comes to your health, sometimes we have to be very pushy.

Hang in there. You will find the correct diagnosis.
  • ChelleBelle2708
    ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Definatly go back and ask for 2nd opinion now. I have Graves, and ended up nearly dead from it. My body was slowly shutting itself down as it could not cope under the strain. especially my heart which was running at 130+ BPM just at resting rate.

I don't want to scare you but its better to be safe than sorry. Some symptoms overlap between Thyroid disorders, so feeling tired could be part of it.

I was diagnoised over 3 years ago now, and had an op to remove my Thyroid in Aug 2013 as meds didn't work for me. I'm now classed as Hypo - a joy in itself!

Please go back and demand an investigation though
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    If you have PA, are you getting your B12 injections? Are you getting your levels checked regularly? I was dx'd with PA and they put me on injections for 6 months, I went back still tired only to find that my levels were EVEN LOWER than when I started with the injections. Then I had my levels checked once a month for about 6 months until they determined that in order to keep my serum b12 levels normalized, I need an injection every 2 weeks, not every month like the "average" patient.

Once my B12 levels were fixed most of my symptoms leveled out - HOWEVER, since you use B12 to process thyroid, my thyroid supplement had to be adjusted, because I needed less of it. (My TSH dropped to .02 for a while there, and I felt awful AGAIN.) Once I went from 150mcg/day to 137mcg/day I started feeling better again.

B12 and thyroid levels do effect each other, so you need to kind of be aware of both - ESPECIALLY if your doctor isn't.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My son has Grave's also. His resting heart rate was also120+BPM and he slept all the time. Couldn't keep a job, cause he was exhausted. After developing huge (135mm+) goitre, they finally ran thyroid tests, ultrasounds, plus the antibodies test. All were off the charts. He had his thyroidectomy Dec. 2014. Go see another Dr, get more tests, keep going & going. It took 10-12 mos seeing different Drs until one finally noticed the goitre. Now on 150 synthroid & it's like he's a completely different person. Have hope and keep persevering.