Hard time keeping the macros right

Options
Astharteea
Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
I am new at this way of eating for 3 weeks now and even though I'm losing weight I have a hard time keeping my protein lower than fat. Other than eggs everything has higher protein than fats. My breakfast and lunch are always bacon, eggs and avocado. I just wish I could add other things to the rotation. My dinner is always lamb chops, chicken legs, chicken livers and burgers. I don't like beef steak because it is too chewy. I also like things that are not too complicated to cook since I'm not that great in the kitchen. How are you guys keeping your macros right?

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I make my own mayo and add it to lots of stuff. Cook with more butter than you used to. Add olive oil to salads and veggies.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Get the fattiest bacon you can get your hands on (more white than red). Cook your eggs in the bacon grease, or cook your eggs in 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of butter per egg. Top your eggs with cheese. Save your bacon grease and use it to top vegetables and other stuff.

Don't trim the fat from the chops, get chicken parts with skin (or get the whole chicken and roast it). Top them with butter. Buy 75/25 hamburger and mix bacon grease into your burgers.

You can make steaks less chewy by marinating them in an oil and vinegar based marinade for several hours or overnight, then cook them to no more than medium. Also, get the fattier cuts of meat, like ribeye, and slow cook them.

Make chicken salad using homemade mayo. Dip your veggies in mayo, a mayo based aioli, or melted butter.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    add fats on the side -

bulletproof coffee or tea
    spoonfuls of coconut butter (or oil)
    a handful of olives
    extra butter on veggies
    extra olive oil om salads
    dollop of creme fraiche on eggs
    etc.
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    oh yes - i make my own avocado oil mayo and slather it on lots of stuff too!

if you have an immersion blender - this recipe rocks!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o
  • stevieedge2015
    stevieedge2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    oh yes - i make my own avocado oil mayo and slather it on lots of stuff too!

if you have an immersion blender - this recipe rocks!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o

That looks amazing!
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    it is! and easy peasy. (:
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    very important NOT to add salt first, and don't forget the tbs water - or it won't emulsify.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I make mine using a whole egg and don't add any water. It's always perfect.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    very important NOT to add salt first, and don't forget the tbs water - or it won't emulsify.

Never added water, and I always add my salt and a little pepper before mixing, have never had a problem. Also, I use the whole egg, not just the yolk. The only time my mayo's come out less than perfect is when my house is cold (then I just need to warm the egg in my hand for a minute or two before cracking it), and even that is just not-quite-so-firm mayo and more aioli like.

I use this method, which is more or less the same as the above video, just with a whole egg and no water -- http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    interesting. anytime i have done it without the water (and the one time i salted first) it doesn't emulsify. maybe the egg white makes the difference?
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I use the same recipe as Dragonwolf. I "tweak" mine by adding extra/different mustard, garlic powder, etc. Comes out great, every time. That's one of my go-tos if I need extra fat.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Frankly if your carbs are low, you are happy with the way you are eating, and you are losing weight I don't think you should worry about it. There is a decent size subgroup of keto people who do higher protein and lower fat than LCHF ketoers do. They are often referred to as "optimal ketogenic living." I don't do this but if you naturally are and are happy with it, there is nothing wrong with it.