net carbs

Options
cinhen1959
cinhen1959 Posts: 10 Member
How do I get My Fitness to count net carbs? I notice that an Atkins protein bar lists 3 net carbs but my "counter" shows 19 carbs. Any tips?

Replies

• cinhen1959
    Options
    Well, if I'd have READ the LC info. I would KNOW the answer to my own question!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    cinhen1959 wrote: »
    Well, if I'd have READ the LC info. I would KNOW the answer to my own question!

Yeah, I am pretty sure I asked too. :smile: Glad you figured it out!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    > I notice that an Atkins protein bar lists 3 net carbs but my "counter" shows 19 carbs.

Some people have trouble maintaining ketosis when consuming a lot of sugar alcohols, so keep an eye on that as you progress.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    How do I get My Fitness to count net carbs? I notice that an Atkins protein bar lists 3 net carbs but my "counter" shows 19 carbs. Any tips?

Since the Atkins bars use maltitol as the sugar alcohol, you really should subtract only 1/2 of the sugar alcohol at most to get net carbs when consuming them. The net carb count on the box of the Atkins bars is a bit disingenuous. Maltitiol is pretty much the worst sugar alcohol and has a high glycemic index, but the exact effect on your body may vary depending on how you react to it. The only sugar alcohol I fully subtract is erythritol.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »

Since the Atkins bars use maltitol as the sugar alcohol, you really should subtract only 1/2 of the sugar alcohol at most to get net carbs when consuming them. The net carb count on the box of the Atkins bars is a bit disingenuous. Maltitiol is pretty much the worst sugar alcohol and has a high glycemic index, but the exact effect on your body may vary depending on how you react to it. The only sugar alcohol I fully subtract is erythritol.

Crap.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    Mistizoom wrote: »

Crap.

Yes Atkins bars are.... Crap
  • cclepew
    cclepew Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Except for non-starchy vegetables, I err on the side of caution and don't count net carbs. Just straight carbs, fiber and all. Especially for the very few packaged products I use. There's no way of knowing if the information on the package is correct.

I used to love the Russell Stover sugar-free candies (the peanut butter cups... oh!) and Atkins bars, but ever since my doctor increased my Metformin dosage, I can't eat them without being horribly sick. Sugar alcohols are known to have a laxative effect on some people, but it never bothered me until now. Not entirely sure if it's the Metformin, but the combination of two things with known gastric issues seems like the culprit! (Metformin on its own doesn't bother me, other than a little heartburn, so I'm going to avoid the sugar alcohols!) just to be safe.
  • cinhen1959
    Options
    I keep a box of Atkins bars for when my sweet tooth acts up, but I prefer real food. I like sugar free jello with sugar free cool whip, too but i worry about all the crap in it. Do you have suggestions on snacks?
    I am a lap bander who is struggling. My nutritionist suggests 1000-1200 calories daily. With 60 carbs-90 gr protein. And a watchful eye on fat. Ideas? I have a spinal problem and my last 40 lbs wont budge. I love food. Spicy, tasty filling food.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Yikes, cool whip and sugar free jello are not foods, I'm scared for you.

Here are the ingredients in the Cool Whip: Water, Corn Syrup*, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut And Palm Kernel Oils), Less Than 2% of Sodium Caseinate (from Milk), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Modified Corn Starch, Xanthan And Guar Gums, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Monostearate, Sodium Polyphosphates, Acesulfame Potassium And Aspartame* (Sweeteners), Beta Carotene (Color). *Adds A Trivial Amount of Sugar. **Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine.

Here are the ingredients in the sugar free jello :GELATIN, ADIPIC ACID (FOR TARTNESS), DISODIUM PHOSPHATE (CONTROLS ACIDITY), MALTODEXTRIN (FROM CORN), FUMARIC ACID (FOR TARTNESS), ASPARTAME** (SWEETENER), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (SWEETENER), SALT, RED 40. **PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE.

Even though they are sugar free, they still have bad sweeteners like Aspartame, along with sugar in the form of corn syrup, and maltodextrin, along with other ingredients like corn starch that turns into sugar in your body. I don't know what all those other chemicals are, but I do know that hydrogenating vegetable oil is a bad idea. It creates a man made thing called trans fats, something the body doesn't know how to process. Even though these products are marketed towards dieters, they do the dieter an injustice, and do not serve the body in terms of providing nutrition. Also, lots of these ingredients add to your carb count even though food processors label them as low carb. I can't even comment on the Atkins bar....they are full of more chemicals and I think if you chose to eat them, it would represent my total days worth of carbs, but it isn't food either , so not good.

Why not make a real low carb type of treat, made with real ingredients, topped with some real heavy whipping cream, whipped, maybe with a bit of stevia ? My daughter made an awesome chocolate pudding made with xylitol and coconut milk today, but we typically don't eat many treats.

How about real whipped cream with a few raspberries as a treat ?

Here's another tip, it's easier to reach low carb goals if you keep yourself satisfied with more fat, ( and my favorite - real food) and completely doable at 1200 calories too.

I hope I haven't come across too strongly, but I really support eating real food, and giving up the man made substitutions or " faux foods", in order to make this a sustainable lifestyle change.

Much luck to you !
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    Your options are limitless in terms of adapting your favorites to a low carb diet. Check out the resources listed on the LCD page. There are tons of recipes on the internet for real food options while eating low carb. You'll get way more bang for your buck nutrition wise and your body will thank you.

As you get more familiar with this way of eating, you will find that it will become like second nature to identify low carb options in any food category, for instance lower carb vegetables to use, lower carb nuts, etc. If you have a sweet tooth, I'm sure you can make better for you sweet tasting treats that will be lower carb than the Atkins bars. I find that since I have been eating this way for a while, my taste for sweets is much diminished and the same may happen to you too.

Another suggestion is to track total carbs instead of net carbs and see what you can fit into your regime.

For spicy food, we often make chili without the beans and starchier veggies, or taco filling and use lettuce leaves as the tortillas, top with cheese, avocado, and salsa. I made a spicy beef and cabbage soup yesterday with grass fed ground beef, homemade beef stock, homemade sugar free tomato sauce, a bit of onion, celery and lots of cabbage, and hot peppers. It was filling and rich with natural fat, and very tasty.

Good luck !
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What the world really needs is a microwavable taco shell form which can be lined with bacon and nuked. Features would include a splatter guard and a collection trough for rendered grease which could be incorporated into the filling.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You can get a script to show net carbs here:

https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    KeithF6250 wrote: »
    What the world really needs is a microwavable taco shell form which can be lined with bacon and nuked. Features would include a splatter guard and a collection trough for rendered grease which could be incorporated into the filling.

Start a Kickstarter campaign!
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If i had a million $, i would invest all of it in Keith's bacon taco shell!
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The unfortunate thing is, back in the day when I owned 50% of a manufacturing company, I spent most of my time worrying about things like making payroll and paying taxes instead of product design and engineering production lines which is what I was actually good at. No wonder we went broke. We get too soon old and too late smart.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Well, I know that there is a "baking" shell mold for taco salads. You could definitely do that. And I think the same company does taco shell molds too, but they're for the oven. Easy enough to put then on a try to properly drain all the good drippings.
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The Bacon Wave Taco... a little labor intensive.
  • JTGJTG
    JTGJTG Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The Bacon Wave Taco... a little labor intensive.
    That is wonderful! Can't wait to try it, and it would be a labor of love.