Running Shoes

Options
Whats your favorite running shoe? I was close to buying a pair of Nike torch but read the sole tears easy,i want to buy a good pair so im curious what others are running in and how they like 'em :D

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I wear New Balance for running, love them. Have you been fitted for running shoes at a reputable running store? Every person is different.
  • Plum_Pumpkin
    Options
    I haven't been fitted..do I go into sportchek and asked to be fitted or how does that work ?,can you tell im new LOL
  • nala3177
    nala3177 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing Brooks and I love them but I second getting fitted. Find a local running store and they will be happy to get you set in the right shoes.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I haven't been fitted..do I go into sportchek and asked to be fitted or how does that work ?,can you tell im new LOL

Google "Running store + (your area)" and you should find what you are looking for.
    Then call them and see if you need to make an appointment to get fitted.
    IME, with small, independent shops you have to make an appointment so that they are staffed, and with chains you don't.

The majority of retail stores that sell athletic shoes don't know how to properly fit you with a running shoe.
    So they will sell you a shoe that fits your size, but doesn't necessarily accommodate your gait or any imbalances in your stride. That's why it is important to look for a running store.

I've never been charged a service fee for the fitting. (just paid for the shoes)

To answer your original question, my favorite shoes are Brooks Adrenaline. I wish Nikes would fit me, because IMO they make the cutest shoes -- but they are not for me.
    And, before I was fitted, I used to run in New Balance shoes. But it was always uncomfortable to run. With the Brooks Adrenaline, I don't have to think about my feet, my knees, my back, I can just run.
    Don't get me wrong, I still suck at running, but not because my joint are in pain...

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options

Sportchek would not be my first or even tenth choice. Since SportChek is a Canadian company that tells me you are in Canada so my suggestions for a running specialty shop would be Running Room or Walk Run and More (based on stores I have available to me in my local area). @beachhouse758 nailed it - Search the Internet in your local community for a running speciality store and also a Running Club. Post a question to their Web Site about local speciality shoe stores. Nothing like a Local runner to point you in the right direction and they probably have a long list of tips for local trails, training sessions and Races.
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Swimming is my normal major exercise but they were doing a major maintenance rebuild so the pool was going to be closed for at least a month maybe two. So I took up the C25K program - using my generic trainers. What a painful frustrating experience - feet hurt - toes hurt - you name it and it hurt.
    -
    Went to sports store and did a gait analysis and then tried on at least 8 pairs of shoes across different brands before settling on a pair. They let me run on the treadmill with the shoes I was trying on. 6 Losers 2 Winners. Mizuno Wave Inspire 11 and Saucony Guide 7.

My running took off. I broke the general plan of C25K in that I went from a painful 1 km to a comfortable 2 km and in 2 weeks time I knocked off my first 5 km ( ~ 45 mins - but it was 5 km ). Invest in the good Running shoes now and it will pay off. In the end if you drop running they are still there as a good power walking shoe so you will use them.

After reading the comment where @MeanderingMammal said "I circulate three pairs of road shoes to minimise transition effects as well" this is something that I will do so off to the store to buy more shoes.
    ....working vigorously on the treadmill, what shoes work best?
    The ones that are appropriate to your style of running, gait and build. Go into a good running shop and get some practical advice.

Random brand suggestions from people here will do you no good at all.

Black toenail is more likely down to fit than anything else, particularly if you're trying running fast without actually building your base running capability.
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    This. Different brands and models work well for different people. Sounds like fit and possibly toe box space may be your issue. You really need to get fitted at a store and find what works for you.

All the major brands make running shoe models that work well. It's not just the brand, it's the model. For example, I wear Saucony, but not all their models are right for me. Only certain models work well for my gait and needs.

This search string/link will bring up various discussions about running shoes.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?Page=p2&adv=1&search=running+shoes&title=&author=&cat=7&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&group_group=1&within=1+day&date=

These Links will take you to some of the various discussions about running shoes.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/30649763#Comment_30649763

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31598334#Comment_31598334

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10100083/running-shoes

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10093798/running-shoes/p1

I can't remember who said it " the shoes pick you "
    Happy Feet = Happy Body = Happy Soul.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics along with Sof Sole 'Athlete' Insoles. I agree with others that it is best to get fitted for a pair of shoes. What one person likes maybe totally wrong for your fit.
  • Plum_Pumpkin
    Options
    Great! thanks everyone for the input,juliet you nailed it I am in Canada-so running room it is :D theres ALOT to think of when getting shoes,not any shoe but ''the shoe''.Thanks again!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    The Running Room is great. I get all my shoes there. They take their time and help you find the shoe that works for you.
    You'll get good advice and help from them.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    I wear shoes that aren't running shoes, and probably aren't even proper sports shoes. But they fit my funny feet perfectly while I've never found a pair of actual sports shoes I could wear without pain. Doesn't answer your question, but seriously, finding the shoes perfect for you should not be based on recommendations but on what fits your feet.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Great! thanks everyone for the input,juliet you nailed it I am in Canada-so running room it is :D theres ALOT to think of when getting shoes,not any shoe but ''the shoe''.Thanks again!

Don't forget that your feet change during the day so what feels great at 9am may feel like crap at 7pm after a day of walking around at work. Socks - they are important to help keep the feet dry - the running store should be able to recommend some that they have on the shelf.

A few more links to other discussions about Running Gear.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10081181/running-gear#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10004318/women-what-do-you-wear#latest
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh.. I should not have read those links. I'm wearing a cotton shirt, and a simple old-fashioned sweat-material trouser. But it works for me, and besides, anything tighter than normal clothes is not really appreciated here.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I wore only cotton shirts for a long time and I like my running shirts loose. I now wear loose wicking shirts and they make a big difference. I wouldn't go back to cotton shirts willingly. I have both men and women shirts. They both fit well; the women's has a waistline, while the men's doesn't. Both varieties are loose (not baggy) and comfortable.
    I wear regular yoga pants or shorts for running. They work well, I find.
    My socks are from the Running Room and absorb moisture. I think that expense is worth it as my feet are dry and comfortable.
    Find what works for you. If it's comfortable, you'll see running as a more positive experience.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Oh gosh.. I should not have read those links. I'm wearing a cotton shirt, and a simple old-fashioned sweat-material trouser. But it works for me, and besides, anything tighter than normal clothes is not really appreciated here.

Wear what works for you. That's the most important thing.

I was looking at my running clothes yesterday and I was like " they are unobtrusive and efficient. BUT OMG, they are soooo boring. But, seriously, who cares?"

I wear a wicking top and running shorts (they type with built in underwear)

So many times on IG I see so many "Fitness Girls" posting a picture of their after run look and they wearing mesh triangle tops and what it looks like men's European Swim trunks for bottoms.
    They look hot. But that is sooooo not a reality for me.

I wear a wicking top because I sweat like Tony Soprano and I live on the surface of the sun, so I want to stay as cool and comfortable as possible.

I wear the running shorts for the same reason, plus I don't want to be thinking about anything riding up while I'm trying to (not die and) complete my session.

Oh, and I wear good socks. Not because I want to be one of the cool girls, but bc it makes all the difference between having blisters and not.

AND, a great sports bra. To keep me from getting a black eye. :lol:

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    New Balance, New Balance, New Balance!!

Specifically, New Balance 1080v5. I love them. Zero pain in ankles, shins or knees, excellent life and durability. They are very light - amongst one of the lightest shoes New Balance carries I believe and are super flexible. I call them my happy feet shoes. Plus - if you're like me - they come in wider widths. New Balance carries up to a 4E width in some shoes. I wear a D or a very forgiving B, depending on the shoe.

If you have a New Balance store in your city (or close to) they will measure your gait for you and find the best shoes for your needs. The downsides to this are that obviously they can only sell you New Balance there because that's all they carry and a lot of New Balance shoes are not what I would call budget friendly. They are, in my eyes, an investment.

If you don't know which brand you like, I would suggest going to a Running Room or Runner's Choice and having them analyze your gait and then you can pick from various brands. I don't know how the price compares.

However, I will say this to you (and I said it to some friends who all of a sudden wanted to run because I was running): invest in good shoes now, or invest in new body parts later on. They seriously make the biggest difference if you're going to be a runner.

It's all about personal preference, but please don't think that you'll get a "deal" on them. Sometimes you do and sometimes you don't, but this is one thing I would recommend to not go cheap on.

ETA: regarding what you wear - wear what you like. I wear compression capris with moisture wicking tops (like Nike Dri Fit). I invested in sports bras - good ones - because I have a larger chest and the sports bras I bought are amazing! They make me look like I almost have no chest which is a big change for me but at the same time, they hold the girls in place and I don't bounce around, at all! I bought arch support socks (not compression though!) and I really like them. They make a big difference for me when running. I use an iPod shuffle so it clips to my clothing, nothing bulky and yet I can still have my music. It's a lot about personal preference but I have found after I ran in compression capris I won't run in anything else. They are almost like second skin but smooth enough to ensure zero chaffing or "chub rub" as some call it (which I hate lol).

Wear what you like and what will get you through the run. I wear tank tops when it's hot (but I'm in the gym right now, so it's ALWAYS hot in there lol) and I hate my arms, they are big and flabby so 2 years ago I wouldn't have been caught dead in a racerback tank. Now, I'm like this is comfy and it doesn't move when I run so let's get this *kitten* going. It's all about your comfort zone, for clothes. For running, push that comfort zone over and stomp the *kitten* out of it!!!