Back pain with squats

Options
sjp_511
sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
I know to get the best advice I need to take a video and post to the form check...

After lifting I have had some lingering back pain in the middle of my back and a bit in my upper back. I am pretty sure that it is due to my squats. I have been doing high-bar back squats as part of the NROL4W program. Any tips on what I might be doing wrong?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to narrow that down without seeing the squat. It's possible that your upper back isn't tight and you're actually rounding in the upper back.

Post a vid =)
  • MattBrouse
    MattBrouse Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    One thought, if I may, minus a video... what's your training experience? If you're relatively new to all this, this simple act of supporting a weight on your back and retracting the shoulders to shelf the bar might be leading to some seemingly undue soreness, or even some pain. Some adjustment of position or, dare I say it, some just getting used to it may be in order. If you've been at it a while, that's likely not the case, though...
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    MattBrouse wrote: »
    One thought, if I may, minus a video... what's your training experience? If you're relatively new to all this, this simple act of supporting a weight on your back and retracting the shoulders to shelf the bar might be leading to some seemingly undue soreness, or even some pain. Some adjustment of position or, dare I say it, some just getting used to it may be in order. If you've been at it a while, that's likely not the case, though...

I did some weightlifting years ago. This doesn't feel like a new exercise type of pain, it definitely feels like I am doing something wrong.

I am not expecting much useful advice without a video. I will get my husband to help me get a video this weekend.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Get some video from the side, but also front and back if you want to be really thorough. The side and/or back is probably most crucial for this type of thing though, IMO.