Cortisol

Options
kmac1196
kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
How real is it to weight gain?

Anybody have external links to share with me?

TIA

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html#more-9313

While they do acknowledge the potential of metabolic efficiency happening - they are mainly looking at exactly what you are talking about - the lack of weight loss due to stress and increased water weight.

Of course their solution is just to eat less and less until you lose - not accepting that perhaps that is exactly why the body is under stress in the first place, though they do kind of acknowledge it's one of the reasons.

It's very real.
    People eating at lab measured maintenance doing a ton of intense exercise constantly have cause water weight gain from it.
  • agardengrrrl
    agardengrrrl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Just from personal experience, I was able to lose weight recently after my stress levels went down a ton.
  • kmac1196
    Options
    Thanks. I've read that one before a long time ago but had forgotten about it. My stress can't really be helped right now.....My husband has a rare, degenerative, congenital heart condition and it's degenerating. Facing decisions and surgeries.

It's always there but we put it out of our minds unless something comes up ...and something has come up.

Anyway, trying hard but scale is not my friend. On top of that, I'm bloated (stomach) and feel flabby and puffy (everywhere...legs, etc).
  • agardengrrrl
    agardengrrrl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's condition. My stress was somewhat similar...I was in graduate school when my husband developed rheumatoid arthritis, which is a chronic autoimmune disorder. He went from a normal 40 year old to moving like he was 90 years old and having terrible pain. He could barely walk and getting up and down from a chair was very slow and painful. Eventually he got treatment and is much better, but he still has chronic pain and a lot of joint damage. Fast forward 6 years...I finally graduated and had more time for exercise and eating right. Graduating was such a relief, this huge weight was lifted.

I know there are times when losing weight and managing your food seems like something that you actually have control of. But I wonder now is the time to try to lose? What about just concentrating on exercise/activity that feels stress relieving and eating at maintenance?

I can tell when stress is getting to me because my sleep will be messed up. If I can't get enough sleep then it is hard to eat right and exercise. Then everything is just off.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Good rec, since a diet by itself is a level of stress.

If minor deficit not much stress, so piled on others it doesn't add up enough.

But if life stress is high, lack of sleep causing stress, you gotta control the stresses you can.
    Amount of the diet is usually one you can control, to make it smaller.

And indeed hope the exercise can help remove some.

So sorry to hear about the issues presenting themselves, hope you got some close family to assist.
  • kmac1196
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Today I'm a bit better. Less bloated and the scale went down a bit. I had a relaxing night and 9 hours of sleep. Not deficit dieting this week. Going to laugh and relax. Can't change this. Let go and let God. Right?
  • rjlkat
    rjlkat Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    kmac1196 wrote: »
    Thanks. I've read that one before a long time ago but had forgotten about it. My stress can't really be helped right now.....My husband has a rare, degenerative, congenital heart condition and it's degenerating. Facing decisions and surgeries.

It's always there but we put it out of our minds unless something comes up ...and something has come up.

Anyway, trying hard but scale is not my friend. On top of that, I'm bloated (stomach) and feel flabby and puffy (everywhere...legs, etc).

I'm sorry to hear about your husband; I wish good health to him.

You may want to check into a supplement precisely for chronically excessive cortisol - Cortisol Manager. My former doctor (Integrative Medicine) suggested it to me and it does seem to help. Some take it as a sleep aid, though that is more of a side effect of it lowering the cortisol. It is all natural and non-addictive, but to be on the safe side you should just verify with your doctor that they don't see a problem with taking it and any medications you may be currently taking.

Good luck to you.