Finally… LOW/NO Carb diet recommended for My 600# Life

Options
KETOGENICGURL
KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
When I first talked about the My 600lb life program I complained these people are NOT told what to eat, only '1200' calories, and NO mental health help was offered anywhere along the way. Considering TLC pays for 'after care' mental therapy for the Hoarders they film it seemed unfair to offer nothing supportive for these people.

Well, surprise. Last 2 programs of 2015 the Dr. clearly said the word LOW CARB, and with one woman insisted she stick to a no carb diet. AND they sent them to talk to a therapist early on. MOST of these women have been molested or seriously harmed while very small, it doesn't take a shrink to see that more than gastric bypass is needed.

Am finally relieved to see Dr. N., who is co-producer and bariatric surgeon has changed what they show us....maybe the LOW CARB... "no crackers, cookies, bread, pizza, candy" message will impact the many who see this.

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is the woman he told "no carb" didn't listen at all. I think she'll be another "Penny."
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen the show, but you made me curious about how many dieters choose low-carb as their preferred weight-loss strategy.

And the answer is: 5.9%

http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/528758
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have seen him tell almost all the patients that. I believe it's standard because everyone I know irl has also been told to focus on protein after weight loss surgery. I think it's awesome!! Good advice. I also caught Dr. N says no carbonated diet soda cuz it can stretch out the small stomach. I really like that show. Deep down a food struggle is a food struggle no matter How big we are.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    What always angers me is these people ALWAYS say.."oh the trip to TX was long only fast food avail.. totally untrue as every supermarket is open to 7-9pm and most have a hot deli, and plain roast meats, whole chicken, etc. The never make any effort BEFORE they get there, so are delusional, they all have computers and yet don't research anything to help themselves..

And each one is clueless they can't eat the same way after…using every excuse in the book and give lip service to noble reasons to free children from slavery to them, or getting their life back, etc. just talk, the ones who get up and fight to do as Dr. N asks I respect.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What always angers me is these people ALWAYS say.."oh the trip to TX was long only fast food avail.. totally untrue as every supermarket is open to 7-9pm and most have a hot deli, and plain roast meats, whole chicken, etc. The never make any effort BEFORE they get there, so are delusional, they all have computers and yet don't research anything to help themselves..

And each one is clueless they can't eat the same way after…using every excuse in the book and give lip service to noble reasons to free children from slavery to them, or getting their life back, etc. just talk, the ones who get up and fight to do as Dr. N asks I respect.

That's why the rate of weight re-gain as abysmal among surgery patients. You'll never keep that weight off if you weren't ready to put the work in to begin with.

I hate the surgery is being touted as this "cure all" type of thing. No, it's not the surgery, it's the strict diet that comes with said surgery that works.
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I hate the surgery is being touted as this "cure all" type of thing. No, it's not the surgery, it's the strict diet that comes with said surgery that works.

That is the reason I stuck to low carbing after sitting through a LapBand presentation about 10 years ago. I even started getting my ducks in a row to have the surgery, but after careful thought, realized I would have to low carb anyway, so why not just do it the 'hard' way and be healthy. No knives.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    Yes, so much talent and medical science used and they can't help themselves. The worst one, everyone remembers is Penny who did nothing but talk, harass her hubby every second, and lie to their sweet little boy she'd get better…she claimed to "fight for this life" and yes the life she fought for was staying in bed as a planned disabled woman, and at the end was shown clipping coupons for junk food to "save" $500 a month for her family. she disgusted everyone.

DragonW... I went to one of those lap band meetings in our rural area, and asked them what happened if there was an emergency (floods, quakes, war, etc that can happen) and you could not get the band adjusted..too tight and some women could not swallow their own saliva and having some strange tech take a screwdriver to your stomach port to loosen the band seemed really dangerous. At least the major surgery didnt take your ability to eat or live away. These docs were flying up here from LA to troll for business among the gullible fat with welfare to pay for the procedure.

The two women I know locally with gastric bypass, one went right back to illegal drugs and lost her child, to the same state that paid for the surgery free, due to mental health the gastric did not help; and the other became a raging alcoholic since she couldn't eat enough, so she drank.

This surgeon brags his way is the only way..and does reveal most US Ameicans only walk 170 yards a day..from bed to shower to car to work, and back. sad.
    Obesity in America: Diet Drugs or Surgery?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpyuslOwZSA
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    does reveal most US Ameicans only walk 170 yards a day..from bed to shower to car to work, and back. sad.

While I'm not the kind of person that says that the solution is to just "eat less and move more," there's not much denying the fact that the overall slimmest populations are the ones in more pedestrian friendly cities and where walking or biking are the norm. I think it illustrates the fact that the reasons behind our increasingly obese and sedentary populations are a multifaceted issue (we move less, because we're more reliant on cars, because our societies are built around cars, because we don't walk as much....) That video illustrates that beautifully, where you can see the places with a lot of pedestrian-friendly cities (or a lot of farm/ranch country) are slower to increase the amount of overweight/obese people (I think California started "catching up" due to the rise of Silicon Valley, which brought in a ton of people, and a ton of people commute via car for 1-2+ hours each way; and don't get me started on the destructive nature of the tech industry).

And that guy strikes me very much as someone who's seen only the people who are fat due solely to eating too much and not moving, with his comments like "there's no such thing as fit and fat" and his insistence that dietary changes will basically never work for large amounts of weight loss (very much a "my way is the only successful way!" message).
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Well here it is one thirty and I have only done 1.4 miles in the house and yard. Some of my work today was done in one spot. LOL

Joe's sis had the lap band and she would eat and puke the whole time she was here. I had no idea she had this surgery done so was putting out regular foods. Finally she said some thing. Sheese I am not a mind reader.

I get our WOE is much like the lap band people. They need to eat the best of foods in small amounts. Well she piled our 6 foot long kitchen counter with crap in bags and nibbled on all of that after her secret was out. Now she said she needs it adjusted as she had gained back most of the eight she lost. Having a hard time getting it done? Guess the screwdriver adjustment is pretty pricey. I am clueless. It is nothing I ever considered. It would make me crazy having a big long tube in my belly. And it is she showed me.

I feel so sorry for some of those 600 pound people though with their big sore legs. That has to hurt. And the sores under their folds. OUCH.

Honestly when I was 230# I felt as big as they are. I still feel very big. I can feel the 23 pound loss it is better and it is easier to go up stairs. Not better enough yet.

I also get disgusted when they just keep eating when they know they have serious issues. In the beginning one of the Moms did pass away and her cute little daughter tried so hard to get her to get well. The whole thing is a very sad deal though. No one likes to be fat even if they keep doing it to them selves. It can become a vicious circle.
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Gary Taubes convinced me that fat is a disease and not a product of being lazy. However, the disease can be treated and it takes a lot of hard work. That's where we lose people. You gotta execute.

As for skinny cities, they generally have much less access to the ultra low cost processed foods. The rents in crowded areas are too high. Access to cheap processed food is probably part of the equation. You may also see part of the population voluntarily relocate if their primary mode of transportation (walking) is no longer available (because their bodies no longer support it). You end up with a population of more affluent people (because rent is high) which tend to be leaner. Thin is the next topic for class warfare. Carbs are cheap.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think a large portion of the problem is that carbs are cheap. It's much more expensive to eat good quality proteins and fats than it is to live off chips and soda and pastries.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I think a large portion of the problem is that carbs are cheap. It's much more expensive to eat good quality proteins and fats than it is to live off chips and soda and pastries.

Except it's not, it's an illusion, especially when you consider how much is required to be satiated by one vs the other.

Yes, a steak costs more than a bag of chips, but that steak can feed you all day, while you can polish off that bag of chips and still be searching for more.

@Akimajuktuq‌ talks about this all the time. Hell, she lives in the freakin' Arctic (like, way out, the "next town over" has to fly her orders in then fly them to her), and she found it was cheaper to fly grassfed meats in than it was to buy the shoddy stuff at her local stores. Then, when you consider that ounce for ounce, the good food is more satiating and you ultimately eat less overall, the savings continues to add up. Add on that the reduced medical costs when you no longer have to ingest (or inject) a pharmacy's worth of drugs three or more times a day, every single day? Suddenly, that good food isn't so expensive anymore. (By the way, you're looking at about $4300 a year in diabetes prescriptions alone, if you're insulin dependent. That doesn't include hospital and doctors visits and anything else stemming from complications.)
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    But for folks who live in cities, who do their grocery shopping at the corner liquor store, there is no grass fed meat option. And satiety is a nice thing to talk about, but when you don't have the money for the steak but can afford the bag of chips, you're going to get the bag of chips. If you have 5 bucks, you can buy more carbs than steak. We're Lucky to be able to think of satiety and health, some can't.
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    That is very true Sweetteadrinker2. The shows I did try to watch the foods ordered in as in pizza and many other kinds of take out had to be expensive. Some of it might have been staged to make the program more stunning too.

I do remember the exact time I did have 5 dollars. I bought a 20# bag of potatoes and a 15 cent a pound lard like butter to last me for a month. It was before the first go round with Atkins for me and looking back This is not how I want to live again.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    A bag of beans and a bag of brown rice make a complete protein that is quite filling...it will also last several days...it is also under $5. Money is not always an excuse. Sometimes it is not necessarily a lack of money, but lack of knowledge...
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    A bag of beans and a bag of brown rice make a complete protein that is quite filling...it will also last several days...it is also under $5. Money is not always an excuse. Sometimes it is not necessarily a lack of money, but lack of knowledge...

This is also very true. I was clueless back then.
  • Meeezonajourney
    Meeezonajourney Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Well here it is one thirty and I have only done 1.4 miles in the house and yard. Some of my work today was done in one spot. LOL

Joe's sis had the lap band and she would eat and puke the whole time she was here. I had no idea she had this surgery done so was putting out regular foods. Finally she said some thing. Sheese I am not a mind reader.

I get our WOE is much like the lap band people. They need to eat the best of foods in small amounts. Well she piled our 6 foot long kitchen counter with crap in bags and nibbled on all of that after her secret was out. Now she said she needs it adjusted as she had gained back most of the eight she lost. Having a hard time getting it done? Guess the screwdriver adjustment is pretty pricey. I am clueless. It is nothing I ever considered. It would make me crazy having a big long tube in my belly. And it is she showed me.

I feel so sorry for some of those 600 pound people though with their big sore legs. That has to hurt. And the sores under their folds. OUCH.

Honestly when I was 230# I felt as big as they are. I still feel very big. I can feel the 23 pound loss it is better and it is easier to go up stairs. Not better enough yet.

I also get disgusted when they just keep eating when they know they have serious issues. In the beginning one of the Moms did pass away and her cute little daughter tried so hard to get her to get well. The whole thing is a very sad deal though. No one likes to be fat even if they keep doing it to them selves. It can become a vicious circle.

I work in a clinic where we treat patients with opiate addiction. The dopamine receptors in the brain react in the same manner when there is food addiction. That's why some people never have weight issues and some people do. I'm by no means suggesting that people are not responsible for their own actions but a true addiction is difficult to overcome. Of course it is way more complex than this and I am in no way an expert. I just find the similarities between drug and food addiction fascinating.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    Options
    Gnulie wrote: »
    I just find the similarities between drug and food addiction fascinating.

Gnulie there are several easy to find reports on this similarity. Mice fed cocoaine and then sugar ( it was in the form of Oreos I believe) wold turn down the drug and take the sugar every time, other studies show mice over supplied on mouse chow would not get fat, and moderated their diet, but once sugar and junk food was added they became obese and did not chose their own food……grim. Just saw a video on bigfoodcorp actions to induce early 'addiction' in kids. Baby bottles with pepsi logos? Schools got rid of sodas, but installed juice machines, which was far higher in sugar. Those bottles of SOBE teas…pink, green liquids with 'energizing' herbs yadayada..all sugar based.
    The Food Lobby Goes to School this is a 6 min, to the point view, of food lobbyists and the multi billions spent on lunch programs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVfAWbitBTs
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Just put them on a PSMF and be done with it...
  • Dragonwolf
    edited March 2015
    Options
    But for folks who live in cities, who do their grocery shopping at the corner liquor store, there is no grass fed meat option. And satiety is a nice thing to talk about, but when you don't have the money for the steak but can afford the bag of chips, you're going to get the bag of chips. If you have 5 bucks, you can buy more carbs than steak. We're Lucky to be able to think of satiety and health, some can't.

"Grocery shopping at the corner liquor store" is not an affordability thing, it's a decisions and priorities (and probably education) thing. Alcohol is orders of magnitude more expensive than just about any food (and any food a liquor or corner store has is going to be jacked up in price to begin with).

I grew up working poor. Even after 10+ years working at the same company (with a degree), my mom only recently broke $10/hr. I qualified for the free lunch program until my sister graduated (we were at that borderline level). We still had more meat and real foods than we did just about anything else, and we never had chips. My mom has found people who raise chickens and sell their eggs for $1-2/dozen, and a farm that sells raw milk (she's in a state where it's legal) for $2-3/gallon, from which she makes all sorts of stuff. Yes, we still had carbs (usually in the form of spaghetti or Ramen), but mainly because of the fact that we basically followed the USDA recommendations and the idea is still drilled in their heads that bread is good. The spaghetti always had meat sauce. The Ramen always had tuna salad sandwiches served with it. The macaroni and cheese always had a meat (often venison, sometimes some beef dish, sometimes tuna or other fish). One box of macaroni and cheese between my mom, my stepdad, and me, two packets of Ramen, one box of spaghetti (and the spaghetti had just enough left for my mom's lunch the next day). Most of the time, a vegetable (granted, canned green beans where the most common) was included. Breakfasts were my carbiest meal, which I usually subsisted on a rotation of batch-made pancakes or waffles, cereal (one box per 1-2 weeks, generally Cheerios), and oatmeal, until I quit eating breakfast at home. When my stepdad was out of town, my mom and I typically ate salads. Even Pop Tarts and toaster strudels only made a very, very occasional appearance in our house. The worst thing we had was the occasional half gallon of no-sugar-added ice cream, that would generally last the three of us 2-4 weeks, or the occasional popcorn that we bought in bulk form and popped on the stove.

Still not the piles and piles of garbage carbs (chips, cookies, sodas, etc) even by carb standards you see in a lot of people's carts or cupboards.

It ended up that way pretty much because we all found we were more satiated when there was a meat included. For a while, my mom made breakfast burritos -- tortillas wrapped around eggs, sausage, cheese, and mushrooms. Now, I think she does omelets with pretty much the same things. She could do (homemade) pancakes or waffles for quite a bit "cheaper," money-wise, but they both found that her and my stepdad's blood sugar crashed after eating them, requiring them to keep glucose tablets and those peanut butter cracker sandwich packs around (essentially driving up the cost of that meal, and wreaking havoc on their long-term health).

Hell, even when I moved out, and there were times where I didn't even know if I was going to be able to afford rent (and didn't have a license or car), I didn't eat the junk food carbs (actually, I generally subsisted on peanut butter sandwiches and tuna melts, plus the occasional pizza from my better-off roommates and friends). If we had cookies in the apartment, it was because I made them from scratch or someone else bought them. That was without a concerted effort to eat fewer carbs (mainly because I didn't know better at the time). It actually wasn't until I started getting more financially stable and had some more money that things like pizza, soda, cookies, and chips made a frequent, abundant appearance in my house.

So yeah, the idea that if you're poor, you can only live on crap carbs doesn't really hold water with me. You may not be able to go straight to grass fed meats and if you're trying to reduce your carbs, you probably can't do the "throw out everything in your cupboards and start fresh" thing, but soda and chips aren't your only option, either.

Also, with that $5 -- nowadays, I'd probably buy hamburger and make something with whatever else I have on hand. Or I might buy tuna and mayo (Kroger has 4-packs of 3oz cans for something like $2.50, a small jar of mayo is about the same). When I was first on my own, I might have included a box of mac & cheese and/or a loaf of bread and peanut butter, depending on what I already had on hand.