Newbie struggling with cravings :( help?!

Options
hi All!

I have really bad sweet cravings.. I've tried starting keto since Monday and everyday I've cheated by eating sweets :(. My job continues to have this meetings with cookies and coffee cake. How do I gain some self discipline?! Does anyone have tips or methods that they used in the beginning to pull through ?

Thanks in advance! And feel free to add me Id love to build a support team :smile:

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It's not a matter of discipline as much as matter of habit. If you can go cold turkey on sweets for a while, you'll find that it becomes second nature.

FWIW, it helped me a lot to find alternative low-carb snacks that I liked. Nuts, dark chocolate, etc.

After a while, you'll even start losing interest in those alt snacks. You'll just be less hungry most of the time.
  • stevieedge2015
    stevieedge2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    85% or 90% chocolate dipped into tea with a sweetener! The second day of keto it was my friends birthday and I actually sat at the table sniffing a slice of cake...but now 3ish weeks in I don't want sugar anymore. If you stick to it the cravings go and this is from someone who would have a can of coke for breakfast :)
  • Neil1139
    Neil1139 Posts: 10
    Options
    Me i have a spoon of almond butter. Right macros for keto and very very nice.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    FWIW I'm in the "no sweetners" camp. Sugar controlled my life for... well, all of it. I felt that sweetners would just reinforce the old habits. So I went cold turkey(and still don't eat sweetners) but I found within a couple of days... I don't even WANT it now. I still can't even believe it. Even sitting next to my partner who is a sugar eating machine (and super low body fat% - love/hate him btw) I'm suspecting though as wabmester mentions, that it's habit.

I would suggest to maybe reframe it. (Again, I can only speak from personal observations so if this isn't helpful, just ignore it. Maybe it will help someone else. We're all different... but we're all still humans. :) )

Reframe: For one, you have a history of loving sweets. Likely your whole life. That's why you finally found us. A history of sweets making you feel good. There may be some hesitation in there, thinking 'oh gosh. How am I ever going to live without them". There's a bit of a deprivation mind set there because you haven't transitioned yet. You haven't (maybe ever) experienced that real feeling of NOT wanting it. (I didn't even know that was possible). So you're stuck on the idea of being deprived of sweets rather than the feeling of freedom you will have when you don't want them (as much). That's a very powerful progam in our brains.

Second, as wabmester says, habit. Food and sweets are soooo ingrained into society we don't even think about it. You're just supposed to eat birthday cake (or whatever). Like it's not even a food. Like it doesn't have any effect on the body. It some how defies the laws of ... everything just because it's a special occaision. It gets a free pass. So when you don't eat it, or don't want to the pressure is enormous. Both from others and ourselves. For one, you're being different and being different can make other people (an you) insecure because it naturally triggers something (in insecure people more so) to think "What's wrong with me then?" and then they need to try and coral you back into the "normal" group with them so they can be reassured there's nothing wrong with them. Then there's the stuff at work. It's a habit. AND It's a habit that feels good. AND it's a social thing. So the brain is saying "Hey! This stinks. You're making a new habit that makes us feel bad and puts us outside the "normal" group? WTH?" At work it will be challenging, no doubt and reframing is helpful. Outside of work, it is obvious that avoiding these types of situations as much a possible will be helpful. If you used to have a sweet with tea or coffee in the morning on the weekend, try "doing" something different, at least for the first while, break that association. If you had this habit in the evening, don't sit in the evening just with your tea or coffee thinking "gosh I wish I had some XXX", do something different to break that association. Not forever, just until your body is used to it, then it won't be so difficult.

I think I'm starting to ramble. Anyway, psychology (my favorite) aside, I'm wondering if the cravings are actual (are they there, do they go away if you eat the sugar) or are they psychological? You will emotionally feel better if you eat it? There's a fear of not having it?

Either way, my tip, after reframing to apease the emotional side, is to up your saturated fat. Soooo... for me that meant egg yolks (I just ate the whole egg), and butter. Lots. Butter in my coffee. LOTS of butter on spinach and even on top of my eggs. (But that's just me). I actually only eat meat every few days whereas a member here FIT_goat, almost exclusively eats meat. Either way, I say up your cals for the first bit, don't worry about them as long as you're feeling satiated.

And finally get your electrolytes up. We have a history of using sugar to feel good. (Cause it works). You're trying to train your brain and body out of that. But if you have keto flu (from not enough electrolytes) you're going to default to wanting more sugar/carbs to help the headache and malaise go away. Which is just going to prolong the suckiness. Technical term :). So, chicken broth or bone broth, or just more salt at the very least. And I know you've heard it a million times, water, water, water.

So in summary, my advice:

Reframe.
    Cold turkey (figuratively and litterally if you like turkey).
    Make sure you are physically satiated through calories and fat.
    Plenty of water and electrolytes.

Sooooo... thus endeth the novel FWIW. Maybe not the paper it's written on, but thankfully we live in a digital world.

Best of luck dear friend.

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Find your favorite keto foods and eat a lof of them. The first couple weeks can be difficult. Do not worry about calories, if you find yourself craving something and struggling, eat something keto friendly. Drink lots of water ideally as well. If you are full, you are less likely to have cravings. Love steak? Go buy one (or go out and order one) bigger than you'd normally eat and indulge. Love pork rinds? Buy a few extra bags, keep them nearby, go nuts. Good luck :)
  • ellieontrack
    Options
    Wow thanks so much everyone!! I can't tell you how much this advice has worked already! I wokeup this morning and read all of your advice and when I got to work there was a huge plate of coffee cake on the table in the lunch room. I can't lie I stared for a few minutes
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Great job. Meh. Staring is fine, Rome wasn't built in a day. Soon you won't even notice it.
  • stevieedge2015
    stevieedge2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I can't lie I stared for a few minutes

Ha that's fine! I still sniff sweet stuff...its so weird how strong sugar smells now!x

• ellieontrack
    Options
    Lol true true @gsp90x‌ .. And I sure do hope so!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks so much everyone!! I can't tell you how much this advice has worked already! I wokeup this morning and read all of your advice and when I got to work there was a huge plate of coffee cake on the table in the lunch room. I can't lie I stared for a few minutes

Ya know, the table full of cakes and sweets is like a strip bar, you can look, but you can't touch! Think of any sweets as a poison to yourself, think how bad they make you feel.

Hand in there, it'll get better by day. It's all about mind over matter and your mind is a powerful thing!
  • ellieontrack
    Options
    @stevieedge2015‌ hahah sounds like real super powers
  • ellieontrack
    Options
    @itcphotog‌ that's a great way to think of it.. It's not even worth it! And thanks for you input I appreciate it !!
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    agree with all of the above. i find that a spoonful or two of coconut butter sprinkled with ceylon cinnamon often hits just the right spot.
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    agree with all of the above. i find that a spoonful or two of coconut butter sprinkled with ceylon cinnamon often hits just the right spot.

How do you make coconut butter? Sounds yum!

• ellieontrack
    Options
    Happy to announce I made some delicious low carb (<8 carbs) snicker doodle crepes!! I found the recipe on ibreatheimhungry site
  • New2Keto
    New2Keto Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like to treat myself with a couple of squares of 70% chocolate most days - tastes delicious, but only 4 carbs. But I am the first to admit it can be a slippery slope at times - very easy to grab another couple of squares after the first lot.
  • gemberly
    gemberly Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I bring a bullet proof tea with me to things. It really helps to satisfy.
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered mug cake recipes! My husband is the one who loves pastries, cookies, and cakes, my weakness is savory stuff like jalapeño kettle cooked potato chips and french fries. The mug cake was a hit! I'll try to find the link and share it...
  • GymBard
    GymBard Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Strongly agree with the reframe suggestion. We have only so much willpower, and restraining yourself from eating sugary snacks by denial and willpower is just doomed to fail...we just don't have the infinite strength to keep saying no. Sooner or later, that "no" is going to turn into a "yes". Try not to think of this as "going on a diet"; you should be thinking of this as a journey where you are teaching yourself a new way of looking at food and eating and your relationship to it for the rest of your life. Let that sink in for a minute. A reframe of this problem is the perfect way to start.