Fasting during the flu? The real flu....

ldmoor
ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
Daughter was sick this week, and gifted mom with it. Woke last night with whole body aches and sinus pressure. Already downing beef broth, because we ran out of chicken, and was thinking that I might just broth/water fast today.

Feed a cold, starve a fever, right?

Any advice would be appreciated. I want this gone!

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    I've read that a low-carb diet can suppress the immune system, which would make you both more susceptible and make it harder to fight off bugs once you caught them.

Not sure I'd try starvation, but if you do, let us know how it goes.

Here's what the Atkins folk suggest:
    http://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/library/articles/eat-immune-system-boosting-foods-low-carb-winter-snacks

Hope you feel better!
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    When I was sick with strep, I ate a lot of chicken broth + sage and garlic (natural antibacterial and immune system boosters) with olive oil and sometimes sausage added.
    Also had a lot of tea. I have a probiotic lemon ginger herbal tea that I take that seems to help my digestive system.
    Drink lots of fluids and get lots of rest. Make getting better your priority.

-T.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Since jello is decently tolerated, as is tea, couldn't one do those "tea" gummies, too, or a tea flavored jello substance to help? @Teneko May I ask where you procure priobiotic herbal tea?
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    edited April 2015
    I got my lemon ginger probiotic tea at publix and at whole foods. Bigelow. Its tasty. I'd guess the ginger does more for you than the probiotic does - i'm not sure how they'd combine everything, package it, ship it, put it on a shelf without killing the little buggers, but its still very enjoyable tea.
  • Teneko
    They've actually made great strides in packaging probiotics now to be heat resistant and still give the great effects. I used to take Ganeden probiotic pills for lactose intolerance once daily when I first became lactose intolerant. They were great and well tolerated by my guts. I could have accidental dairy and sometimes butter or cheese with it. I stopped taking them, though, and just got super strict with what I ate and lost like 50 lbs.

The Bigelow Lemon Ginger probiotic tea uses the SAME probiotics from Ganeden that were in my pills. I drink tea pretty much every day, so might as well just drink the delicious tea.
    I used to buy it from my local grocery store, but they stopped carrying it. I have to order it online now by the case. Amazon FTW.

-T.
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    I stopped eating foods with artificial sweeteners I couldn't control when I started keto in mid-Feb, including soda and jello. After all the reading, and so many studies saying the body could be tricked into thinking it was real sugar, it wasn't worth it anymore. I've been eating them for almost 20 years, and it wasn't helping me lose weight, so I decided to live without it and see what happened.

Not sure whether it was a coincidence or not, but for the first time, I'm losing weight steadily. That's reason enough for me to stay away.

On a positive note.... I'm starting to come out the other side of this nasty week of illness. Started off as aches and flu symptoms, but its finishing off as head congestion and normal old cold. Either way, I'm more myself today, and that is a good thing.
  • Teneko
    I share your concern with the random artificial sweeteners in jello...that's why I started making my own. If you start with the unsweetened packets or powders, you can add whatever sweetener you prefer (if any) and leave out the silly fake dyes, too.
    Glad to hear you're feeling better! Hang in there!

-T.