I don't know what to eat

Options
Jennym93
Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
I'm trying to plan my meals but I'm struggling to figure out what to eat, I always do even before I started low carb, I've looked at some of the links available but I just don't know what to cook, I prefer simple meals as it has to be things we already have at home or things I can buy easily (I'm the only low carber in the house and we have a lot of low fat foods). I don't want to get bored with what I'm eating either cause then I'll just end up eating carbs.
So meal suggestions? I've searched but I seem to get a lot of the same things I either don't have the ingredients for or just don't feel like eating.
I also keep going over my calories, even though I've added calories from exercise and raised my calorie goal

Replies

• Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple: a protein (beef, pork, chicken, fish, seafood, eggs, etc) with fat (olive oil, butter, ghee, coconut oil, avocado oil, etc) and add in a low carb veggie if desired (broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, etc). Some things are both (fatty steak is protein and fat. avocado is a good fat and a veggie, really it's a fruit but I digress).

Once you get that down, you can play with your ratios to get more of what you want.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I cook 2-4 times a week and eat leftovers the rest of the time.
    Today was a Carolina BBQ rubbed baked pork tenderloin with broccoli cooked in bacon grease. The tenderloin was a medium sized one that hubby, daughter and I have eaten on for about 3 days.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm also the only low carber in a house with four people in it. I make a meat, a low carb veggie or two, and a starch. They eat the starch and I don't. I worried about getting bored, but I pretty much ate the same things most days when I wasn't strictly low carb. And to be honest, I've tried things I wouldn't have before, most of which I now love, and I've tried "old" foods in new ways. I'm in love with pan roasted radishes. What I've learned to do is, when I find myself thinking "ew, yuck" to something, I try it. The exception being liver, I haven't gotten that brave yet.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    As far as a meal prep goes, I pack the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day during the week: Breakfast is 2 Jimmy Dean fully cooked pork sausage patties, and Lunch is an egg salad (2 eggs, 1 tbs mayo, 1/2 avocado) and spinach. When prepped Sunday night, it doesn't take more than 15 min to put together. If you're cooking, eggs are always easy. I like to mix 2 eggs and add some basil, dried onion, and garlic powder then fry it on the pan so it makes a flat, circular unfolded "omelet". Then I add 3 tbs tomato sauce, 1 serving cheese, 1 serving pepperoni, and sometimes bacon, mushrooms, or spinach and bake it in the oven at 400F for 10 min. It's like a pizza! Easy and quick
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    My fam eats carbs, I don't. Eggs, bacon, cheese of all kinds, meat and fish is a go. Instead of spaghetti I make Zoodles or spaghetti squash, instead of rice, I make fries cauliflower rice. Green veggies, salads and berries. You can eat sweet potatoes instead of regular ones. The possibilities are endless, you just have to be creative and have fun with food. Bake some low carb treats and lots of fat bombs :)
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You can get fancy after you get up to speed. Start with the basics.
    Bullet proof coffee or bacon and eggs will start your day.
    You can buy precooked frozen sausage links (Applegate is good) which are a quick snack (heat up easily). Hard cheeses are an even easier snack.
    Ground beef (hamburger steak) or any cut of meat for lunch and dinner. Cook it in salted butter.
    The portion sizes drive your calorie totals. The above are all basically carb free (check labels for "hidden" carbs).
    Add a veggie and nuts as your carb allowance allows.
    This will get you going and give you some confidence.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    you can also look at people's diaries for ideas. you are free to add me and message if you have any questions as to how i prepare stuff. good luck!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Here's our meal plan for the week. It honestly is made of almost all things we have in the freezer, 'cause we're trying to get stuff eaten up and reduce the grocery budget, at least temporarily. We keep bagged cauliflower and asparagus in the freezer for my veggies, and hubby eats mostly broccoli cheese & rice and potato-based bags of veg. I supplement my lunches with cheese wedges, pickles, small amounts of tasty tasty chocolate, and whatever else I find in the fridge.

Fri D: LeftOver pork tenderloin & veg

Sat B: BPC
    Sat L: SKIP
    Sat D: Fishie for me, LO sausage for hubby, pick your own veg

Sun B: BPC
    Sun L: Pan-fried burgers (basically ground beef, ground pork, egg, shredded cheese, & seasoning) - make enough for next weekend
    Sun D: burgers topped with mozz & spag sauce
    Cook chicken thighs & breakfast sausage for lunches

Mon B: BPC
    Mon L: Chicken thighs (baked in oven, recipe from Practical Paleo)
    Mon D: Parmesan chicken + veg

Tue B: BPC
    Tue L: Breakfast Sausage
    Tue D: LO parmesan chicken + veg

Wed B: BPC
    Wed L: Chicken Thighs
    Wed D: Pork chops

Thu B: BPC
    Thu L: Tuna Salad
    Thu D: LO Meatballs topped with mozz & spag sauce

Fri B: Scrambled eggs with bacon & cheese
    Fri L: Breakfast Sausage
    Fri D: On the road

I would normally have more greens in here (mainly in the form of what I'm wrapping my meat in), but I'm trying to keep it where the only thing I need to buy this week is cream. I might get a head of lettuce as well for some crunch.
  • Lillahe
    Lillahe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't like to get bored either. It helps me to have a few 'go to' meals that I really like and don't seem to tire of as often, like a chicken caesar salad, tuna or egg salad. I keep plenty of romaine lettuce (my fav) on hand for that and wraps. The thing is to have on hand a few things you really enjoy for when you aren't feeling inspired to cook.
  • Jennym93
    Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the ideas, really helpful :)
    I think I really need to stock up on some higher fat foods and start trying new things