olive oil: how do u track it

Options
languageSteph
languageSteph Posts: 25 Member
I am a splasher. I could measure the olive oil I use but part of the fun is splashing and twirling the bottle around when I out it in a pan or on a salad. The thing is, this fun method has no equiv in MFP, so whats a gal to do? How do U track your olive oil? Even if you use a TB OR ts, if u cook with it and some evaporates or is absorbed, does that really count.the same?

I am fully aware how nit picky I am being and that my use of olive oil is NOT what got me or my roles here. But I am curious all the same. Thx in advance for ur input.

Replies

• tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I use one of those long necked oil drizzlers, so I glugged the the oil into a tablespoon first, counting to 1, 2, 3, 4. Then I emptied it into my skillet to get a visual of of what a tablespoon looked like. Did that at few times and measuring became second nature.

I use a Misto oil sprayer to lightly coat vegetables for roasting. I use less oil that way. To add those calories, it's just a wildass guess.
  • jahmanrv
    jahmanrv Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do the counting measure. 1234 and that's it. I figure that's about a tablespoon, and then just put a tablespoon in my journal. Guess I could actually measure, but I can't be bothered doing that when I'm cooking. Never measure anything really.
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Rachael Ray always says twice around the pan is two tablespoons, so when I use olive oil for sauteeing, etc.,, I just log two tablespoons. It's a good question, though--we're here, to some extent, to question our assumptions about what we're eating.
  • Minyo67
    Minyo67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @tinascar2015‌ that's a great idea! most of portion control is gaining a visual on the amounts needed.
  • MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am weighing and logging everything for a good long time and then after I have found my groove for a few months, going to try for all of 2015 anyways and then I should have a solid grasp on all food portion and sizes. I surely do not want to count and weigh everything forever but I want to be strict enough to where I am accountable and not wondering what ot why if I have a big change in body composition. I have found with strict paleo and a couple primal additions along with Intermittent Fasting my health is better than ever so sustained practice on this will not be necessary.