Help with goals, new to keto

Options
blaqpepa
blaqpepa Posts: 67 Member
Hi all,

I wonder if you could help me. I've just started eating right for keto today, been doing IF for a week, and wanted to change my eating while doing IF.

So my question is about goals. I'm short, only 4'10", so I don't need too many calories for my little frame. I was eating 1200 but decided to up them to 1300 (not a big difference I know). I've set my goals like this.
Carbohydrates 5%-16g
Protein 15%-49g
Fat 75%-116g

I did the keto calorie counter thingy from reddit and it said I should be eating at least 78g of protein. That's way too much for just 1300 calories, and would not put me in keto I don't think. I read somewhere that I should ideally be 2:1 with fat to protein, so that contradicts it doesn't it?
I guess my question is should I stick to my current goals or up my protein?
I don't really want to up my calories, like I said, I'm really short so there's no need in my eyes to eat a lot. I still have a good 28kgs/61lbs to lose.

All suggestion and help is greatly appreciated :)
Oh and I don't mind being added as a friend. I could use all the help I can get:)
Thanks

Replies

• WalkingAway2013
    Options
    I have mine set for
    5% carbs
    30% protein
    65% fat

I'm set at 1200 calories which gives 15g, 90 g, and 87 grams (I normally keep between 1200-1300 I'm 5')

I'm always under for carbs, but have been in Keto since day 3 (now day 12 and down 10 pounds as of this morning)

Today's numbers are
    Calories - 1277
    Carbs - 8
    Protein - 74
    Sodium - 850
    Fat - 101
    Fiber - 15

Most days my protein and fat numbers are pretty close to the same though a few times my protein is higher by 20/30 grams, I don't know if I'd be able to get protein down to 49 grams just my chicken alone at lunch was 34 grams of protein...

Is there a reason you set it at just 15%?
  • blaqpepa
    Options
    Hi, thanks for getting back to me.
    Your numbers look good. Maybe I should go back to 1200cal afterall.
    I set protein to 15% cause I got so paranoid about it turning to glucose like carbs do.
    You think I should increase it huh?
  • WalkingAway2013
    Options
    You could always try it and see if the numbers work for you, I eat a lot of meat so personally I wouldn't be able to get my protein that low and I'd start worrying about losing lean muscle from lack of protein.

I normally just try and make sure my carb numbers stay down and I get in enough fat and stay close to my calorie goals and don't really worry about anything else even though I track the other stuff if I go over or under on protein/sodium/fiber I'm fine and don't let it worry me.

I'm sure someone who's been living the keto lifestyle longer will be able to give you more help, The reddit site seems to be a bit more active than these mfp groups if you haven't checked it out http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have mine set for
    5% carbs
    30% protein
    65% fat

I'm set at 1200 calories which gives 15g, 90 g, and 87 grams

This is how my diary is set as well, and I haven't been kicked out of keto once. I would share my numbers for the past few days, but I'm afraid they're not good examples of my norm (way too low! Don't ask me why my intake has been so low, it just happened sadly - it was not intentional.)

Just make sure you're keeping your fat intake up. Fat is very important when it comes to keto.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I wonder if you could help me. I've just started eating right for keto today, been doing IF for a week, and wanted to change my eating while doing IF.

So my question is about goals. I'm short, only 4'10", so I don't need too many calories for my little frame. I was eating 1200 but decided to up them to 1300 (not a big difference I know). I've set my goals like this.
    Carbohydrates 5%-16g
    Protein 15%-49g
    Fat 75%-116g

I did the keto calorie counter thingy from reddit and it said I should be eating at least 78g of protein. That's way too much for just 1300 calories, and would not put me in keto I don't think. I read somewhere that I should ideally be 2:1 with fat to protein, so that contradicts it doesn't it?
    I guess my question is should I stick to my current goals or up my protein?
    I don't really want to up my calories, like I said, I'm really short so there's no need in my eyes to eat a lot. I still have a good 28kgs/61lbs to lose.

All suggestion and help is greatly appreciated :)
    Oh and I don't mind being added as a friend. I could use all the help I can get:)
    Thanks

For induction the ratios should be for the first few days:
    5% carbs
    15% protein
    75% fat

Afterwards switch to and maintain these ratios to prevent muscle loss:
    5% carbs
    30% protein
    65% fat
  • blaqpepa
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for your input and suggestions. I slept on it and decided to up my protein. I want to lose fat and the last thing I want is to lose lean muscle. So now my goals are set to:
    16g Carbohydrates (5%)
    81g Protein (25%)
    101g Fat (70%)
    At 1300cal.

Having protein at 15% before didn't even add my totals to 100%, but MFP didn't seem to pick that up.
    Now my only issue is that I updated my profile but my app doesn't reflect the updat, oh the joys of technology.

So today is day 2 and I'm feeling really optomistic, but dreading keto flu which I keep reading about.