New- need calories and lifting advise

Options
2»

Replies

• LoLoGB
    LoLoGB Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Heybales- you are so knowledgable and explain everything so well. So I want to loose 15-20 lbs as quick and healthy as possible. What do you recommend from a calorie and workout perspective? I'm 36, 5'4", 144 lbs and 28% BF. I would appreciate your input and insight. Thanks!
  • LoLoGB
    Options
    @heybales along with my question above...what's this spreadsheet I keep reading about?
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Heybales spreadsheets on his page:
    Weight Loss Calculator spreadsheet (updated 1/5/14) for BMR/TDEE deficit methods, HRM info, macro setup, MFP tweaking, all to maximize deficit and benefit of exercise done and retain muscle mass:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

Description of spreadsheet:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

Spreadsheet for getting cardio personal calorie burn formula:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdC10WXNweGI0ZGRNZHE4Wmc3UURaWVE&usp=sharing
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    To not freak out over what may appear to be a huge thing of the spreadsheet, stay on the Simple Setup and Progress tabs only.
    After looking over sample data in yellow cells - delete all that data in input whatever you can of yours.

You'll get your TDEE, and for this group, just take off your 15%.

On the Progress tab as you copy over the stats - just include what that 15% off is you'll eat, called TDEG (Total Daily Eating Goal).

I kept adding more and more tabs as as requests were made, and I found them useful too.

HRM tab is good read also with common workout advice for planning.

Your stats give the following, from spreadsheet of course, though BMR would match anywhere:
    Mifflin BMR - 1328
    Katch BMR - 1386 (so about expected average ratio fat to non-fat mass)

15% is about right for amount to lose, about 1/2 weekly if sedentary.

TDEG is based on TDEE is based on workouts done though, and that means how much do you need to eat to adhere to it.

4 days x 30 min walking level 3-4 mph. Rest days.
    3 days x 40 min full body lifting routine.
    3 days x 20 min cardio as intense as you can be, right after lifting.
    45 hr weekly desk job/commute, no kids or older ones so just a few hours daily standing and slow moving around time outside of exercise. This would go up if not true of course.

TDEE - 1895
    15% - 284 (tad more than 1/2 lb weekly)
    TDEG - 1611

With this, you'll transform more than the scale weight would make you believe.

If you have HRM to confirm doing Recovery level cardio, those rest days could be more intense cardio than walking, burning more in average TDEE, raising eating level and increasing deficit.
  • FRJM
    FRJM Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    FRJM wrote: »
    Thanks Heybales....have had a rethink on my plan. Even though I have a couple of half marathons booked, I want to really get my strength training going properly. So, revised plan will look something like this....

Mon - Stronglifts 5X5 + 10-15 mins cardio (poss treadmill)
    Tue - Rest
    Wed - Stronglifts 5x5
    Thur - 50 mins run
    Fri - Stronglifts 5x5
    Sat - rest
    Sun - Long run

That gives me 2 full rest days, I get 2 good runs a week in (one of which will be around 90-120 mins) and I'm not running 2 days in a row or strength training 2 days in a row. Does that make more sense?
    Sorry LoloGB for hijacking your thread!

Well, here's the thing with strength training that will help you think about the weekly routine.

If the goal of the strength training is to get stronger and build muscle (and why wouldn't it be), the only way that happens is if you overload the muscle with almost more than it can handle by weight. Causing micro-tears in muscle.
    The body's response is to repair and get stronger, and if diet and recovery allow, build more muscle.
    That recovery is the 24-36 hr not putting another heavy load on the same muscle.

But a muscle overloaded by weight because it was already tired isn't the same response.
    That's add more carbs to the muscle to handle this almost endurance aspect.

There is no way you could lift with fresh muscles on Mon after a long run on Sun. So they won't get overloaded for the right reason, there won't be any reason to increase mass, probably not even full response to get stronger, because it's likely a weight they could handle just fine, but tired they can't. Might be minimized to some extent by early morning run, late night 5x5, maximizing the time between workouts. But still.

Now at the start, you'll get stronger for 2 reasons outside gaining more muscle, your Central Nervous System (CNS) improves in firing and using the entire muscle you got, and your form improves increasing efficiency and weight that can be handled.
    So you may see improvements for a tad even with a bad routine as those happen. But it still wouldn't be as much as possible.

Believe me, it is hard to get serious cardio training in and still lift as if that was the focus - can't really happen using the same muscles. Focus is one or the other, one must support the other.

Best you'll get with running focus right now is 2 days that include lower body lifting, 2 days of running in Recovery HR zone to confirm you are not killing repair, and the one longer run that needs it's own recovery. There's really no other way to arrange it.

So Mon & Wed work for 5x5, and Tue and Thu could even be slow calm runs. Which is great for training the fat burning aerobic system for endurance anyway.

Then Fri is upper body lifting only, perhaps some upper body cardio cross-training too.

Sat the long run - allowing Sun recovery from it, so Mon that includes lower body lifting can really be as heavy as possible.

An intense run could follow Mon or Wed 5x5 with whatever strength you got left, which is actually good mentally to duplicate that feeling of worn out at end of race, but pushing through on failing muscles. 30 min at max effort should get you there.

Sorry for butting in again.....am a little bit concerned now that I'm just wasting my time because Sunday is the only day I can do my long run really. The rest, I can juggle about but Sunday has to be long run day. I don't even have to do Stronglifts 5x5 if a different strength training plan would be more beneficial. Running club is on a Mon and Thur evening and has the option of 5km or 8km at any pace....but I'm aware to fit everything in, I might have to run on a different night to the club. Heybales, can you suggest a plan that incorporates long running on Sunday and benefits my strength training?
  • heybales
    Options
    Wed/Fri - SL5x5, hopefully recovered by Sun long run then. Can still do intense 20 min run if desired.
    Sat - rest day just walking, blood flow to encourage recovery so ready for Sun.
    Sun am hopefully - long run.
    Mon evening - running club 5 or 8k slow pace for recovery, can also do SL5x5 upper body stuff.
    Tue - rest day, walking if desired.
    Thu - running club 8k slow pace for recovery

So your lower body lifting days are not proceeded by anything to tire the muscles out.
    Your lower body lifting days are not followed by anything so intense to ruin recovery.
    Long run is proceeded and followed by days to not interfere with recovery.

2 other days of slow running to train the endurance aerobic fat burning system.
    2 short runs possible at high intensity to train the anaerobic lactic acid clearing system.
    2 rest days spread out for all this activity.
  • LoLoGB
    Options
    @MandaLeigh123 @heybales I can't get the links above to open or send to my computer and the spreadsheet is way too small on my phone ;p Is it possible to be emailed it please? Laurengreyblue@gmail.com
  • heybales
    Options
    LoLoGB wrote: »
    @MandaLeigh123 @heybales I can't get the links above to open or send to my computer and the spreadsheet is way too small on my phone ;p Is it possible to be emailed it please? Laurengreyblue@gmail.com

Done.