The importance of weighing all the foods.

Options
kuranda10
kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
My single serve can of tuna (cheaper /kg that big cans) says a serving is:
1 serve per package
serving size (drained weight) - is 61g (95g can).

Every can this week has weighed in at 35g drained.

And yes, I'll be firing off an email to the company right after lunch ...

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! Please do tell us what they say. I'd always understood that pretty much every packaged food is slightly heavier than the declared weight just to cover themselves! 35g from 95g is one heck of a large profit margin!!! Hope they don't tell you that you squeezed the meat too tightly.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Whoa! Short changed, not cool!
  • kuranda10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh wow! Please do tell us what they say. I'd always understood that pretty much every packaged food is slightly heavier than the declared weight just to cover themselves! 35g from 95g is one heck of a large profit margin!!! Hope they don't tell you that you squeezed the meat too tightly.

It's John West, and I have an American accent, so we'll see.

Update: I called, told her if it had been a few g's off, well stuff happens, but HALF! She took the numbers off the can, will send them to manufacturing QC and is sending me a Woolies GC.
    All in all a sucessful outcome. I
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    That's good to hear Kuranda. The American accent probably helped, there are so few of you here in Oz. I'll be watching John West products if I buy any in the next few months!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    kuranda--good job! But what's a Woolies GC? Sounds like a sweater to me.... :D
  • kuranda10
    Options
    Sorry. Woolies is short for one of our major grocery stores, Woolworths. Which is very different than the US Woolworths 5 & dime store ;)
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Related but different: I started actually weighing my cheese (which I slice up to snack on mid-morning and mid-afternoon at work). I was estimating 2 to 2.5 oz per day, but I found out I was off by a whole ounce. Oops! Correction made.