Stalled for 6 months now :/

eraser51
eraser51 Posts: 63 Member
Hey

I am stalled for 6 months now on Atkins despite trying different kcal amounts and different macro ratios :/

no clue anymore...
I started working out again (finally) and doing stretching (yoga) but still nothing or not much at all (-200g).

I am in ketosis since.. dunno.. 3 weeks or so...

Any ideas?

Do you guys get more protein and less fat for faster weight loss?
Did you lower kcal?
how much is ok?

Replies

• saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Higher protein is for building muscle. More fat/less carbs for losing weight. Use a chart to find out how much protein you need to maintain muscle, because lazy body will use energy from muscle tissue (protein) to make glucose before using fat. Don't really understand all the chemistry involved, but seems to be easier to convert protein than fat to glucose, which is fuel.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Hi there. I understand your frustration. I recently had a stall and even a bit of gain, so I decided to do what is called the egg fast stall breaker diet. You must be fat adapted to do it. Basically it consists of 3-5 days of the egg fast and then a 3 day transition period back into low carb high fat diet. Basically it allows you to get back to the basics of keto and then slowly add back in lchf foods which allows you to find out which foods might have caused the stall. If you are interested I have posted some links below. It worked for me. I lost 4 pounds in 5 days of fasting and still going strong in my transition.
    Blog post about the diet ketogenicwoman.com/egg-diet-weight-loss-fast/
    Blog post about transition back to lchf: ketogenicwoman.com/transition-egg-fast-back-lchf/
    Facebook group that I found very helpful: https://facebook.com/groups/eggfast/
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Also, if you are stalled adding more protein is definitely not going to help you. if you eat too much protein your liver will change the protein into glucose through a process called gluconeogenesis. The glucose created from the protein will spike your insulin and potentially throw you out of ketosis. You need to increase your fat if anything. Ratios for optimum ketosis are typically 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs. Try adjusting your settings accordingly in MFP. Also try this keto calculator. It has different suggestions designed for ketosis rather than calorie restriction. ruled.me/keto-calculator/
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Looking through your diary, it looks like almost every day for the past week, you've blown your calories out of the water and gone over on your carbs target. How did you pick the numbers you have it set to, and have you actually eaten within them for a lengthy period of time?
  • gemberly
    gemberly Posts: 67 Member
    Yeah, I agree with the pp, I'd scale back calories. It doesn't matter if you are in ketosis if you don't have a deficit in regards to weight loss. Good luck!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    eraser51 wrote: »
    Hey

I am stalled for 6 months now on Atkins despite trying different kcal amounts and different macro ratios :/

no clue anymore...
    I started working out again (finally) and doing stretching (yoga) but still nothing or not much at all (-200g).

I am in ketosis since.. dunno.. 3 weeks or so...

Any ideas?

Do you guys get more protein and less fat for faster weight loss?
    Did you lower kcal?
    how much is ok?

Looking at your diary I would have to agree with what others said. You probably heard somewhere that you can eat as many calories as you want as long as you keep your carbs under 50 or so. Generally speaking that doesn't work. About the only way it you could eat high calories, is if you keep your carbs under 5 (five) grams a day. That is a "Keto style" that some use and it works!

There is a guy named Fit_Goat (and others) that have done it. He does it "carnivore style", meaning he only eats meats, NO plant food at all (other than minor herb seasonings). The opposite of a vegan. You still would eat lots of fat and medium protein (and that's controversial too). He could probably tell you all about it.

If you insist on eating 20 - 50 carbs, you'll have to scale the calories back...

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    My Blog: It's Ketogenic or Bariatric (How I found the Ketogenic Diet)
    Keto Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used in LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Previous Discussions (lots of easy Keto recipes and other useful Keto info)
    My Blog: Intermittent Water Fasting & Keto
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    I had a nice long post, but I accidentally hit the back button.

The short version of it. Like DittoDan said, I live by the philosophy of "when in doubt, lower your carbs even more." I have a feeling your calories will automatically lower when you do that. I do eat ridiculous amounts, but I am losing very slowly and am very close to my goal weight. When I was heavier, I was eating less. My hunger rose as my weight fell. They're finding a comfortable place to meet.

I would suggest lowering the carbs. "But, I am already in keto," I can hear you arguing. I don't think that means you've always found the level of carb intake you need to maintain to lose weight.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Twibbly wrote: »
    blown your calories out of the water

I went back a whole month and that continues to occur.

OP, this is not a stall.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    edited March 2015
    kirkor wrote: »
    Twibbly wrote: »
    blown your calories out of the water

I went back a whole month and that continues to occur.

OP, this is not a stall.

Right. A stall is when you keep to your plan how you are supposed to and still don't lose weight for 4-6 weeks or more. Going over on carbs and calories consistently is not staying on-plan. It's overindulging.

Consistently stay under carbs and calories. If you don't lose in over a month THEN it's a stall.

Enter your height, weight, and such in a keto calculator like this:
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    I recommend 20g net carbs
    1-1.5 g of protein per kg of ideal bodyweight
    And no more than a 20-25% deficit under Fat to Your Liking. And I would say that 25% is pushing it a little hard.

That should be a good guide. Follow it 100% for 4-6 weeks. See if that doesn't do it for you.
    But remember that as you lose weight, you will need to re-input your new stats every few months as the lower your body weight, the fewer calories the body needs to run.

Also, diet/macro changes can take a few weeks to bear all their fruit. Wait the full month to make any more macro/calorie changes. If you constantly change things up, you'll never figure out what is causing a problem. Isolate any tweaks by weeks of consistency with them.

I've lost 87lbs. This is how:
    Correct macros/calories + Consistency + Time = Success

HTH.