Negative reactions to high fat diet

Options
Jennym93
Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
Ok so I've only just started low carb high fat and I live with my family who are very much 'fat is bad for you' they do the shopping but even if I buy the food for myself they ask me why and tell me I'm going too far because I'm eating too much fat
What do I do?
They will always be very anti fat with their own diets

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Jennym93 wrote: »

You've answered your own question. You're not going to convince them that it's ok. Best to just ignore and continue, and perhaps your progress will eventually give them enough evidence to at least question their belief.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Show them information that the diet isn't a fad, been around for a while, adopted in Sweden, etc.
    Also might help reassure them if you go to the doctor and get all your levels tested. I know my mom felt a lot better when I told her I had bloodwork done a month after I started the diet and wasn't dying of some high fat cholesterol thing. She felt even better when I told her I'd retest in 6 months and keep her up to date on any results.

-T.
  • Jennym93
    Options
    It wouldn't annoy me so much if they themselves hadn't attempted the 'atkins' (without research) and scrapped it after a week,
    I've told them cutting back on carbs and going high fat might even help them but what do I know I'm not a nutritionist
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Depends how you want to proceed. The best take is, "I am an adult, this is how I am eating and it is not up for discussion." However, I know sometimes that doesn't work. If you want to give them "proof" then read "The Big Fat Surprise" by Nina Teicholz and arm yourself with facts. Facts probably won't help, either, but at least you will have the information that a high fat diet is good for you.
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you can't ignore them until your results speak for themselves, you could go to a used book store and buy one of every LCHF book they have. Leave them all over the house! You could also print out any interesting articles and leave them about as well. Someone might pick one up and read it or at least start to realize it isn't so out of the ordinary.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Bury them in scientific studies and then refuse to discuss it with them again. The information is there if they choose to read it. If they refuse to read it, it's their problem, not yours, and feel free to point that out to them.
  • Jennym93
    edited March 2015
    Options
    good ideas thank you, I looked up the big fat surprise but I can't afford it right now, I'll have to see if my library or charity shops have any books.
    Anyone know of any non-biased online articles?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Just sit down and watch this movie with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Mark's Daily Apple, Living La Vida Low Carb, anything from Noakes, Phinney, or Volek. Michael Moss and Ben Greenfield have some stuff as well. These are just off the top of my head. Heck, I would even consider JJ Virgin. Tiptoe in with an anti sugar campaign and next thing you know you are low carb.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I would say most of those guys are biased. :)

If you want unbiased, the famous A to Z diet study was done by a vegan, and he found that low-carb worked best.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17341711
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    leave the books in the bathroom and hide their usual reading. ;)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I eat more fat each day than most people eat in a week. I tell people that each time they hound me, I'm eating an extra pat of butter with my steak.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I eat more fat each day than most people eat in a week. I tell people that each time they hound me, I'm eating an extra pat of butter with my steak.

"So...if fat's so bad...I get your butter and bacon, right?"
  • Jennym93
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Just sit down and watch this movie with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs

I'm watching this now and I think the best quote in it so far is
    'Mother nature isn't stupid'
    Now to get my parents to actually watch something like this, it's pretty much if I try and suggest or discuss anything like this they are a little dismissive
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

Now to get my parents to actually watch something like this, it's pretty much if I try and suggest or discuss anything like this they are a little dismissive
    The Diet Doctor has a page devoted to research that's available showing low carb, high fat diets are safe and effective. The fear of fat has been well and truly ingrained so perhaps the appeal to authority -- real doctors, real scientific studies etc. -- might help. Or at least reassure them you're not killing yourself. Good luck!

Science and Low Carb
  • Jennym93
    Options

The Diet Doctor has a page devoted to research that's available showing low carb, high fat diets are safe and effective. The fear of fat has been well and truly ingrained so perhaps the appeal to authority -- real doctors, real scientific studies etc. -- might help. Or at least reassure them you're not killing yourself. Good luck!

Science and Low Carb

Thank you :)
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The launch pad on the front page of this group has links to many resources. Many of them freely available online. Check that out if you're looking for info. ;)

They may not be easily swayed, be ready for that. In the end though it's your life, your health, your choices and you need to do what you consider is in your best interests. <3
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Ok so I've only just started low carb high fat and I live with my family who are very much 'fat is bad for you' they do the shopping but even if I buy the food for myself they ask me why and tell me I'm going too far because I'm eating too much fat
    What do I do?

Have them watch this video:

Fat Head

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options

I have a friend who is morbidly obese, a cancer survivor and constantly depressed about her life. We all know how to fix all that... keto! This morning, she told me her father is Type 2 diabetic and she doesn't know why, because "he only eats meat and potatoes!" When I opened my mouth (foolishly) to say it was likely the potatoes and such leading to high blood sugar problems, she interrupted to say, "And don't tell me it's the carbs! He doesn't eat carbs!" So I just shut my mouth and looked away. She too "tried Atkins" once, for a day or two, and gave up. "I just can't!"
    You just cannot win with people like that, so keep calm, and keto on! Don't let them get you down. Do it for your own health and sanity.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I love that.... Keep Calm and Keto On.... I got my first lecture Sunday... I ignored it and ate my meat salad.