Just venting .... Again

Options
jennmac415
jennmac415 Posts: 52 Member
I'm really tired of not having a net carb category.... I know, I know, just subtract the fiber from the carbs to get your net carbs for the day. But psychologically it's a bummer to look at and see that MFP is telling me I'm almost at my carb limit for the day, because I wanted a "sandwich " that wasn't a lettuce leaf and ate a Mission carb balance tortilla with my ham and cream cheese. How dare I!!!

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    You could consider counting total carbs and up your limit. :)
  • jennmac415
    Options
    I guess I could, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of trying to stay at 20g carbs which most days I'm not even eating that many. I know I'm not the only one that wishes for a net carb category.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript
    Net carb script to add to your browser. I think it only works for Firefox and Chrome. It would be nice if the app had one. But I don't know of one.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What octobubbles said. :) I have my carbs set at 15% of my calories for this reason.

ETA: Oops. I had the page open and didn't see the newer replies, sorry!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Ooh, that script is pretty slick. :)
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If you install that script the net carb shows up on the app to, at least in android.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use the script on my work computer but nowhere else. The rest of the time I have to rely on mental math. I *usually* stay pretty well under my goal anyway in terms of total carbs rather than net carbs, so I don't have to do the math unless I'm at or near my goal. And I'll admit I played make-the-red-go-away with my calories by increasing my calorie goals in MFP.
  • jennmac415
    Options
    So I have to install that script on a computer and then I can use it on my phone or ipad?
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    jennmac415 wrote: »
    So I have to install that script on a computer and then I can use it on my phone or ipad?

Unfortunately, no. Not in my case at least. I installed the script on my computer and it only works on my computer. Everywhere else I go (the Kindle app, a browser on another computer, heck even another browser on the same computer) it's just the regular settings again.
  • jennmac415
    Options
    darn.... I hardly ever get on my computer anymore.y
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Same here. That's why I put it on my work computer. Sitting at a desk all day has a couple advantages, I suppose....
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    And it does not work on Ipad.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    If you install that script the net carb shows up on the app to, at least in android.

Do you have something to run it on your phone? I have the script running, but it doesn't carry over to my phone or tablet, only the one that lets you set the goals to grams or percents less than 5.
  • plumwd
    plumwd Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't work on an external device because the script works by modifying the content in the browser window.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    jennmac415 wrote: »
    I'm really tired of not having a net carb category.... I know, I know, just subtract the fiber from the carbs to get your net carbs for the day. But psychologically it's a bummer to look at and see that MFP is telling me I'm almost at my carb limit for the day, because I wanted a "sandwich " that wasn't a lettuce leaf and ate a Mission carb balance tortilla with my ham and cream cheese. How dare I!!!

I just make sure that Fiber is one of the categories I track on my nutrition/diary page. I don't really eat sugar alcohols, and wouldn't really subtract them anyway, as they still have similar to sugar effect, so fiber is about all I'd subtract out for net carbs. That, and I don't let it bother me what the idiot app MFP is telling me when I know what I'm doing carb-wise. LOL It isn't geared well for LCHF, etc.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Could you comfortably move to using only total carbs? I tried net carbs for a week and (for me!) didn't feel that it was worth the hassle. I now have my diary set for 15g carbs a day even though I'm happy anywhere between 0 and 20 on my personal spreadsheet.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Try being outside of the US!

I have to not only do the math, but remember which entries are USDA (needs math) and which ones are Aussie brands (no math needed)