Ketone meter

Options
nicsflyingcircus
nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,489 Member
For *kitten* and giggles, I ordered one of those monitors that does ketones (in addition to glucose, of course).

One hour after eating a meal, I measured at 1.8mmol, easily within the keto range, which doesn't surprise me at all. The meal was an oddly (because I wasn't trying to do this) perfect meal, with 4.7% carbs, 27.7% protein and 67.6% fat.

If you throw in the coffee I finished not long before I met a friend for that meal, it's even better.

Anyway, seems an interesting toy. My blood glucose (which I took since I was bleeding anyway) was 92. For a 1 hr postprandial, that is great, though I have never had blood sugar problems. I may for a fasting one just for fun one day.

Anyway, given the cost of the ketone strips, I plan to use my handy little toy in the future, if/when I increase my carbs above their current very low levels.

Replies

• kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have monitored my BSL and ketones for quite a while now. I test fasting am and in the pm, just to get the data. I'm not diabetic, but have a scientific turn of mind. You might be able to fool yourself whether you are in keto or not, but the meter doesn't lie! It was a great tool to help me figure out which foods were stalling me. Sadly, these turned out to be nuts and dairy! :( I love cheese........
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    Oh, I was positive I was in keto, my carbs don't lie, lol. But still interesting. The strips are too expensive for me to justify testing routinely, given my diet, is all.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I occasionally test for ketones, my highest number is 1.2 mmol and that's in the morning after no food for 12 hours.... after eating it's usually 0.6 or 0.8. Envious of your higher figures! I know that's illogical as it doesn't necessarily mean better, but still....
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm like you KMCA, but I'm diabetic too. I just took a 1 hr PP reading. glucose is at 114 (which totally rocks), ketones @ 1.8. What I've found for myself, is that unless I can keep my glucose under 120, I only hang on the fringe of ketosis - maybe @ 1.3...regardless of how low my carbs are. This is true for me, also regardless of the reason for the glucose rise...i.e., carb creep, wine, too much protein raises it...rigorous exercise raises it, and so on.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    I'm like you KMCA, but I'm diabetic too. I just took a 1 hr PP reading. glucose is at 114 (which totally rocks), ketones @ 1.8. What I've found for myself, is that unless I can keep my glucose under 120, I only hang on the fringe of ketosis - maybe @ 1.3...regardless of how low my carbs are. This is true for me, also regardless of the reason for the glucose rise...i.e., carb creep, wine, too much protein raises it...rigorous exercise raises it, and so on.

It's interesting what sets our respective systems off!

My blood sugar is always between 4 and 5 (we use mmol/L for measurement in Aus - not sure what that is in mg/dl. Maybe 70-90?) fasted, pre and post prandial.

My ketones are lower in the am when I'm fasted, usually 0.7-1.5 and are frequently 1.5-3 at night. I do HIIT training a few evenings a week and my ketones have gotten to 6(!) some nights post this. My sugars don't rise much after exercise, but frequent testing helped me identify dairy (sadly, particularly my one true love, cheese) and nuts as absolute stallers for me.

Interestingly, protein doesn't stall me out much. In fact, I tend to have a slightly higher protein and lower fat ratio than many other ketoers, but my weight loss seems to need this.