Keto and fasting

Options
Hi,

I have had a lot of success with losing body fat by fasting for around 16 hours a day. My carb intake during my 8 hour eating slot was around 150g.

Now i'm still fasting for 16 hours a day, but as of Monday I am eating around 40g or less of carbs.

I really want to get into ketosis, to see if that helps shed the last few percentages of body fat I want to drop.

Has anyone done both Keto and fasting at the same time? I'm not expecting double the results, but just wanted to find out if they work together with one another.

Replies

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I believe a lot of people here do both keto and IF. I do 16:8 and try for <20g carbs daily.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yep. I generally do it. A lot of people also find themselves in a 16:8 pattern naturally on keto, because they're just not hungry all the time.

That said, you might want to rethink your weight and body fat goals. According to your profile, you want 12% body fat. That's well into the 10-13% range for "essential body fat" for women, meaning it's going to be difficult to obtain and keep, and your body will likely actively try to increase it. You may also start seeing negative health effects from it. Body fat at or below essential body fat levels can be just as detrimental to your health as body fat in the overweight and obese levels.

I highly recommend checking out this article (and if you've read it already, read it again), as it will probably more likely give you the aesthetic results you're going for, without compromising your health -- http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yep I do keto+16:8 IF and also throw in a 24h fast here and there. I don't really experience the appetite-suppressive effects that a lot of people report with keto, but I'd already IF'd for years so maybe that's related.

Anyway, since the LCHF nature of keto is so calorically dense, it dovetails perfectly with a shortened eating window.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for posting that link to the Staci article, @Dragonwolf !
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    @Healthyvitamins, while I understand your desire to achieve your target I would urge you to think carefully before trying to lose any more body fat. From your photo you already appear to be pretty trim and going even leaner could have a detrimental effect on your longer term health.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I highly recommend checking out this article (and if you've read it already, read it again), as it will probably more likely give you the aesthetic results you're going for, without compromising your health -- http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Thanks so much for the link, I did read it a while back, I have read it again but couldn't see what body fat % she currently is, would be interested to find out. At the moment I only lift weights, and I am benchpressing the same as her at the moment. I would like to be a little more defined than her if im honest. That's just a personal preference.

Maybe I should re-think my goal body fat, as that does sound a little low, perhaps to 15% as a target, I do appreciate all the advice.

Thanks everyone