Fruit sub & lowest carb protien bars?

Options
StephyJaye
StephyJaye Posts: 15 Member
Just looking for ideas & I figured my fellow low carbers are the best ones to ask! I'm starting my 2nd round of boot camp. It's 8 weeks of 5 mandatory classes a week. Our trainer requires we have a protein bar, a fruit, and 2L of water with us at every single class and does bag checks on the regular. Last round I wasn't really watching my diet at all so having fruit handy wasn't an issue. Now that I plan on living low carb (as it is what works for me, and fits my lifestyle) I want to know if you all have any suggestions in tasty lower carb protein bars and anything I can sub for a fruit. He has us bring fruit for when blood sugars fall during workouts. I was going to bring raspberries as they are lower in carbs. I'd also be ok with packing an apple for show and having a lower carb snack to actually eat if the need arises. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The net carbs on the Quest bars are pretty low. The bars seem popular, but I can't stand them.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Would he allow sugar snap peas? Those are tasty and 7 total carbs. Quest bars can be good, try some different flavors.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Berries in general would be good. You could also do an avocado (it's a fruit, so it's technically legit >:)).

Have you talked to him and explained your way of eating? He might be willing to compromise if he understands where you're coming from.

Does it have to be a protein bar, proper? I'd personally rather have a couple of Real Sticks from Vermont Smoke and Cure, or some jerky on hand for that purpose. Meat, nature's protein bar! Again, might be worth talking to him about ("hey, I prefer to eat minimally processed food, and I don't like the ingredients in protein bars...").
  • StephyJaye
    StephyJaye Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    The net carbs on the Quest bars are pretty low. The bars seem popular, but I can't stand them.

I have the cookie dough ones, they are the only ones I can stomach.
    Would he allow sugar snap peas? Those are tasty and 7 total carbs. Quest bars can be good, try some different flavors.

Totally forgot about peas! Thanks!

Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Berries in general would be good. You could also do an avocado (it's a fruit, so it's technically legit >:)).

Have you talked to him and explained your way of eating? He might be willing to compromise if he understands where you're coming from.

Does it have to be a protein bar, proper? I'd personally rather have a couple of Real Sticks from Vermont Smoke and Cure, or some jerky on hand for that purpose. Meat, nature's protein bar! Again, might be worth talking to him about ("hey, I prefer to eat minimally processed food, and I don't like the ingredients in protein bars...").

Friday is our weigh in/measurement day. He sits down with us and does a little interview. And I plan to talk to him about my diet changes. Going to see if he will have an issue with me doing jerky or some other form of protein. Thanks for the suggestion! I'd rather eat some meat than a protein bar for sure! LOL
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Another option may be nut butters. You can eat a spoonful or 2 before working out, the fat will carry you through. And it is yummy.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Native Americans used pemmican as trail food. Traditionally smoke dried meat ground to powder and mixed 50/50 with rendered fat. Sometimes sweetened with dried fruit (blue berries in this part of the country) but not always. There are commercial products with "pemmican" in the name but I've never sampled any of them.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Isn't that funny ? I've been contemplating trying to make some pemmican. I'll be going on a train trip this summer and want to bring some healthy snacks with me....since there is no option to order specialized meals on the train. Since I'll be throwing all the breads etc out from my meals, I'll need something to keep me satisfied that will keep in a backpack for the trip. I'm not much for pre packaged foods, not that I could find anything pre made that was high enough in fat and low enough in carbs to be worth purchasing..... Hmm
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Quest bar, double chocolate chunk, yummo!