Food Intolerances - What to eat?!

2»

Replies

• Saral2013
    Saral2013 Posts: 11 Member
    A lot of foods I disdained pre-paleo have become, if not favorites, at least tolerable because I told myself 'just eat the damned thing'. Besides, we all know that taste buds can be retrained or recalibrated: we notice the inherent sweetness in many 'previously non-sweet' foods once we remove the atomic blast of sugar from our diets, and by the same token many things that SEEM unduly bitter become less so once that sweetness recalibration takes place.

I do force myself to eat certain foods because I know they are good for me. Some foods, though, I can't. The gag reflex is too much. As I make progress in removing all unnecessary sugar from my diet, I hope the taste of some foods will improve. Can't do much about texture, though.

• Saral2013
    Also, how do you reheat your foods? The way you reheat them may be the main culprit in the tastes you're getting. If you've been using the microwave, try reheating it on the stove. Fry the meat up with some coconut oil and see how that works. Do a light steam on the veggies in a pot. If you can't reheat it on the stove, try storing and reheating your foods in glass containers, instead of plastic. It may actually be the materials from the containers leeching into the food that you're tasting.

I try to avoid the microwave as much as possible, but it can be difficult at work. I also avoid reheating anything in plastic containers, the smell is gross. I have a small grill and plan to start using it very soon, I love the taste of grilled meats and veggies.

Thank you for the suggestions on protein vs fat. I am trying to eat better fats. This wasn't possible before due to budget constraints but I am now able to buy better cuts of meats.
  • Saral2013
    Oxtail and tongue are terrific but they do not replace organs (liver, kidney, brain etc). Heart either for that matter.

Inuit diets were high in FAT. They favoured marine mammal fat, blood, bone marrow, and all organ meat, with much lean meat just fed to the dogs. If you aren't eating completely nose to tail I do not recommend a (almost) total animal based diet. Inuit also ate stomach contents, seasonal berries, some sea vegetables etc so there was still some plant foods.

I like bone marrow, but I don't think I could eat organ meats and/or stomach contents. I guess I better stick to smoothies so I can get some vegetables into my diet.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Saral2013 wrote: »
    Oxtail and tongue are terrific but they do not replace organs (liver, kidney, brain etc). Heart either for that matter.

Inuit diets were high in FAT. They favoured marine mammal fat, blood, bone marrow, and all organ meat, with much lean meat just fed to the dogs. If you aren't eating completely nose to tail I do not recommend a (almost) total animal based diet. Inuit also ate stomach contents, seasonal berries, some sea vegetables etc so there was still some plant foods.

I like bone marrow, but I don't think I could eat organ meats and/or stomach contents. I guess I better stick to smoothies so I can get some vegetables into my diet.

Grinding them up and mixing them with other ground meats helps on that front. That said, you never know until you try. Half of our society's issue with organ meat is mental. There's a lot of negativity around it. You can also freeze it and make it into little "pills" that you then just swallow whole.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    I'm having second thoughts about veggies being any replacement for animal foods, organs or otherwise. In fact, I'm questioning my trying to force myself to more vegetables than I desire as many of them do harm my health.

I don't automatically love organ meats but I eat them. It doesn't have to be huge amounts or all the time but I do think they are important based on evidence of human ancestral diets. I have a view that our human ancestors survived for millions of years and developed a large brain (whether that's good or bad is another question) due to what they were, and were not, eating.

Currently people are getting sicker and seem to be "dumbing down" imo so that's powerful incentive, for me, to try to emulate the diet of my ancestors as much as I can, while still enjoying foods but pushing myself to develop tastes for foods that were forgotten in the last couple of generations (which, interestingly, is when we started getting sicker and sicker).
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Can't do much about texture, though.

I'm with you there. Mental tricks only go so far against a gag reflex. I'm that way with okra. I can tell myself that the sliminess is caused by an abundance of soluble fiber, and it's good for me - but if I focus too much, I can't get it down. And I always get a bunch of it in my CSA basket, so I gotta make do.

First World problems, I guess. ;)

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    ew. Okra. *gag
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    And here I was ready to give my left arm just to try okra even one time. I found some frozen recently and don't even know what to do with it. lol
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Can't do much about texture, though.

I'm with you there. Mental tricks only go so far against a gag reflex. I'm that way with okra. I can tell myself that the sliminess is caused by an abundance of soluble fiber, and it's good for me - but if I focus too much, I can't get it down. And I always get a bunch of it in my CSA basket, so I gotta make do.

First World problems, I guess. ;)
    Pickle it!! It's delicious!! Not slimy! I have also had battered and fried okra that could be made Paleo...