Which week did you find challenged you the most?

Options
im at week 4, and I'm finding it really hard! I know it's not supposed to be easy, and none of the weeks have been for me. This week though, is sooo tough! I'm not complaining, and I haven't given in, I've finished all my runs so far! Just wondering which week you all found to be the most difficult?

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    However far you get in the programme that is the hardest week. Each week stretches you further than you thought possible. So look back about how you felt in weeks 1,2 and 3 and see how far you have progressed. A lot of the difficulty you are experiencing is about rewiring your brain, your body will cope, your mind is the weak link. You can always go slower. If you cannot talk to someone, recite a poem etc you are still going too fast. Give up trying to live up to how fast you expect runners to run, just complete the programme at YOUR pace. It works. I tried running too fast, first time out and injured myself and stopped. Second time out I tried the same thing, I got to week 5 day 1 before I stop living up to how fast I thought runners should run. It suddenly got a whole lot easier when I slowed down. I have now done a HM at a faster pace than I did W5D3 on 17 Jul 2014. You can do this, I have complete confidence in you.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,502 Member
    Options
    Most difficult? I think it's looking at the schedule for the next session and wondering if I'll managed. I did W5D2 yesterday and was really worried about running for 8 minutes. But I managed it, and even one time more than in the plan. Now I'm worrying about running for 20 full minutes :smiley:
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Most difficult? I think it's looking at the schedule for the next session and wondering if I'll managed. I did W5D2 yesterday and was really worried about running for 8 minutes. But I managed it, and even one time more than in the plan. Now I'm worrying about running for 20 full minutes :smiley:

That's par for the course. Once into week 7, I started to believe it was all possible ;)

• yirara
    Options
    I'll get there :blush: Somewhat annoyingly I'll go on a vacation in two weeks time. I'll still manage week 6 and 1-2 days of week 7, but then I'll be away for 10 days. I don't think I'll be running there as I'm going to Iran: wearing a manteau and headscarf are probably not so convenient, and being at rather high altitudes probably neither.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Week 5. No way did I think I could run for that long with no walking break. But I just kept telling myself that it is all mental. I can do it. And I did!
  • yirara
    Options
    I managed 20 minutes! The rest should be relatively easy now I know I can run for 20 minutes straight.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I managed 20 minutes! The rest should be relatively easy now I know I can run for 20 minutes straight.

Awesome!!!! Way to go!
  • hali135
    hali135 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    im at week 4, and I'm finding it really hard! I know it's not supposed to be easy, and none of the weeks have been for me. This week though, is sooo tough! I'm not complaining, and I haven't given in, I've finished all my runs so far! Just wondering which week you all found to be the most difficult?

I feel exactly the same as you do. The other weeks were tough but week 4 has been the worst to me so far. I plan on repeating week 4 in hopes that it'll get less difficult.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    I am on week 7 and this is the most difficult one for me. Long runs are challenging - my legs get heavy and I constantly think that it's ok to have a walking break in the middle. I am pretty sure it's mental, since it feels the worst around 10-15 min, but when I know that I did more than a half it gets easier...
  • matillian
    matillian Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I found the past weeks hard but I could finish without problem, but week 4 is more challenging, I did day 1 yesterday and running the 5 minutes parts was very difficult for me
  • HannahsMother2012
    HannahsMother2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well, I've moved on to week 5, and it doesn't seem as difficult as week 4....YET! My next run is the 20 minute one, so we'll see!! Good luck everyone!
  • huskies3
    huskies3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 8 and on to week 9 tomorrow. I think week 7 was the toughest week for me. Its more mental than anything right now especially having to run on the treadmill.. I can't wait for it to warm up here in WI so I can run outside. :)
  • jguest
    jguest Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am re-doing week 3. I am doing this with a group and we all need to be comfortable to move on. I just hate the hill coming up and having to run that last 90 seconds.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    huskies3 wrote: »
    I just finished week 8 and on to week 9 tomorrow. I think week 7 was the toughest week for me. Its more mental than anything right now especially having to run on the treadmill.. I can't wait for it to warm up here in WI so I can run outside. :)

What is week9? My c25k app has only 8 weeks...
  • huskies3
    Options
    I'm using the run double app so maybe it's a bit different? Week 9 is 30 minute runs. I just did my first 30 minute tonight and so happy that I was able to accomplish. :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    I'm using the run double app so maybe it's a bit different? Week 9 is 30 minute runs. I just did my first 30 minute tonight and so happy that I was able to accomplish. :)
    So there are 9 weeks total?
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    There are Several different programs for C25K. The one that I am doing is 8 weeks, but where everyone else's has week 5 with a 20 min run, mine is 2.5 miles. My 20 minute run isn't until week 8, and then my next run day is 5K race day. I guess they figure, if I'm able to run 2.5 miles weeks 5&6, 3 miles week 7, and 20 minutes straight on week 8, then I'll be ready.
    Just depends on which app you're going with! I'm starting my first week 2 run tonight, after work. 1.5 miles run/walk, running as much as possible.
  • huskies3
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    So there are 9 weeks total?

Yes, nine weeks total.
  • hep275
    hep275 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In 2013 I did the Zen Labs c25k which had 8 weeks in the programme. I was 48 yrs old and weighed over 14 stone when I started. I thought I would die several times during the 8 weeks, and repeated some weeks as well. I took part in a Boxing Day charity run of 4miles on 26/12/13 then took a break as I'd fallen in early Dec. I really struggled to get back into running in 2014 and never got back above 2 miles. I restarted this year after a break of about 7 months - although I've started gradually, aiming for 1, then 1.25 then 1.5 I've found that I am able to get back into it a bit easier this time around - but some days are still really hard work!! On Thursday i managed just over 2 miles, and am now aiming to be able to do 2.5 by the end of this month. I'm nearly 50, still overweight and have problems with my ankles caused by flat footedness, but I am SO proud of what I am doing and would say to anyone, you can do this, just listen to your body, take it slow and don't waste time worrying about what people might think of you - you're the one trying to do something for your health afterall. It is hard work, it's not a race, but it's SO worth it.
  • steebsthegreat
    steebsthegreat Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 7 and I've never felt so discouraged about running. Every single day I ended up taking at least 1 walking break. I still got about 2.5 miles done in 30 minutes each day, but my pace has slowed down substantially. I'm actually going to redo this week in hopes that I can get about 2.6 miles done.